Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #43
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Agree with most posted, I do not carry when traveling, but am constantly aware of my surroundings. Staying mostly at large campgrounds I have never felt threatened but have "lost" some stuff to my fellow campers, only small stuff like chairs, decorations, etc.. That can happen anywhere. I rarely stay at WM's, but have in a pinch, there too never any issues, but stay near others and lock up everything.

My biggest concern is when stopped, like at fuel or food stops, my crew is never very alert to what is going on around them and makes me feel vulnerable. When ever possible I stop at busy gas stations, and make sure nothing suspicious around when I pull up, I have passed by a few. Only issue ever had was in gas station on road side at I-95 exit in GA, I had already pulled in and was gassing when a group of about 10 young guys cruised in on motorcycles, a little rowdy in general, and as I kept my eye on them while pumping my gas, one of them pulled back the side of his jacket to expose a holstered pistol, stood for a second looking me in the eye and turned around, gassed up his bike and never said a word. I finished up, got in MH, and left. Just mentioned to my DW that it all seemed kind of weird. Veiled threat? Don't mess with me message? Just seemed odd.

Tom and Patty
The "Rode Crew"
2004 National RV, Seabreeze 1341, F-53 22K, Chevy Malibu toad.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #44
I am retired police officer of 30 years in a tourist town that has two major state campgrounds and numerouse private campgrounds. Also rving 20+years in county, state and private campgrounds. Seldom had problems in our campgrounds beyond minor theft and the occasional domestic or noise related issues. Most serious crimes were ( and I can only think of a handful in 30 years) between people who were travelling together. When camping I was aware of surroundings but never felt unsafe. I did carry but the weapon was not my first thought for avoiding problems. While bad things do happen I personally do not believe the world is as bad and dangerous as media and myth would suggest. Then again, I have always been an optimist who believes in avoiding problems using situational awareness but being prepared and willing to take action if needed.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:05 AM   #45
A couple of years ago, the publishers of the Gypsy Journal, Nick and Terri Russell came back to their RV and a robbery was in progress. The robbers were really bad guys. If I remember correctly, the robber came out of the RV with one of Nick's own guns and he was able to disarm him by slamming the RV door repeatedly. They took off and were apprehended and now in prison for other crimes. It was an unusual circumstance as they were parked in a dealer's lot while undergoing repair work, not a campground. You can check out his blog for all the information on this incident. Did not slow them down as they are still fulltimers enjoying their work and travel.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #46
Monaco Owners Club
Several years ago we stopped in a state park in Oregon and the campground was full so they put us in the overflow area. Late that night after going to sleep the dog started to growl awaking my wife. She raised the blind and saw someone attempting to steal gas from our rig. She yelled loudly for me to get my gun and the thief jumped in a car and took off. Didn't need the weapon, would not have used one for something non life threatening.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)
2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ , ISL 400
2014 Ford Explorer toad
Old 10-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #47
Monaco Owners Club
35 years and no problems, losses. Love those RV'ers.
OKrver 2002 HR Ambassador
2003 Dodge Dakota 4X4
2012 Polaris ESP 850 Tour
Old 10-15-2014, 11:32 AM   #48
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by mo5er View Post
Firebug5....I think you did the safe thing. Way too many gun happy thugs these days.

I agree--$40 lost, but you and your wife were unharmed. If you had and used a firearm, you may have done society a service, but the consequence would likely have cost you months or years in and out of court, plus the mental costs of having used potential lethal force on another human.

For me personally, it is a decision of life or death. If my life or my family was at stake, I would have no regrets. Otherwise, I'm handing over my wallet, keys, credit cards, watch...

The crux, of course, is deciding whether it is a life or death decision at hand. For that I have to rely on my instincts, and while I trust them, I hope that I never have to.
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G, Cummins ISL,Freightliner Chassis, Allison 3000.
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad w/ Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and M&G Braking System
Old 10-15-2014, 11:35 AM   #49
at night I keep a can of wasp spray AND a can of fire extinguisher AND a small flashlight on the nightstand in our MH. (Luckily our MH has big nightstands). I find that most RV's have a fire extinguisher mounted in the kitchen area, I don't want to have to go searching for it in the middle of the night if there is a fire!
We have never had a problem, but a neighbor was robbed at night at a campground. The robber slide open the driver's side window, crawled in and grabbed the wife's purse from in front of the passenger seat. After hearing that story I thought about it: When you pull into a campground how often do you unlatch the driver's window to talk to the attendant then forget to re-latch it when you get to your site. Also, how often do we as women travel with our purse and leave it next to the passenger seat once we are parked? So now, once we get parked at the campsite and we are ready to set up camp I check the drivers and passengers window to make sure they are locked, then I bring my purse back into the bedroom, then I place the fire extinguisher/wasp spray/flashlight next to the bed. (all this while my husband puts his gun next to his side of the bed).
Also, the wasp spray helps if there are bees around your campsite!! I don't want bear spray around........ I don't want to give the bears any ideas...........
Rick and Karen
2016 Berkshire 38A
2011 Honda CRV
Old 10-15-2014, 11:44 AM   #50
I have 2 story's that ill keep short , both non camping related.
Years ago, my old boss was traveling with his family & had car trouble on a fairly remote road, Iowa I think, maybe Nebraska . That had no cell coverage, this was before there was cell coverage all over. Long story short dome guys stopped to "help". He was beaten & tied up, daughter & wife both raped, toddler son was locked in car while this was happening .
Another, I was on a service call several years ago on a unpleasant part of town working on a soda machine outside at a car wash . A car with 4 guys came thru parking lot looking at me, it came buy again a few minutes later. Now I'm really nervous . The 3rd time it only had 2 guys in the car, I untucked my shirt & put my hand on my weapon , closed the machine door & got back in my van , while watching the other 2 get back on the car inside car wash bay. I'm certain that I was nearly a victim.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #51
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This thread had veered way off topic. The op has thanked everybody and got his answer. It's time to move on.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Closed Thread