Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 44
Travel Supreme Select vs CC Magna or Affinity or Monaco Signature?

Just coming out of a 2006 Zephyr and looking for our next coach.

We will be full timers with our big Rottie, Biggie. We will be spending some time in the Montana winter months.


Any help would be greatly appreciated in comparing the TS Select 2008-09, CC Magna or Affinaty and the Monaco Signature or any other coach in those price ranges. We really like the 1 and 1/2 bath layout with the full in the aft. We're going to want and need a 45' and we're probably going to tow a newer Ford Explorer. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
Benellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
cb5300's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benellie View Post
Just coming out of a 2006 Zephyr and looking for our next coach.

We will be full timers with our big Rottie, Biggie. We will be spending some time in the Montana winter months.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in comparing the TS Select 2008-09, CC Magna or Affinaty and the Monaco Signature or any other coach in those price ranges. We really like the 1 and 1/2 bath layout with the full in the aft. We're going to want and need a 45' and we're probably going to tow a newer Ford Explorer. Thanks.
I chose to go with the Monaco Signature, it had the better wood work and that's a big thing with me. The bath and a half is great and I don't think the "Boss" or myself would ever go back to a single bath unit again.

I actually tow a 2007 Ford Explorer with my Sig and it's like it's not even there, and the Cummins ISX is a fantastic engine that offers all the power you could ever need.
__________________

__________________
Charles and Martha*2008 Monaco Signature
FMCA #F388752*GoodSam Life Member
2007 Ford Explorer - Toad
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Noblesville, IN
Posts: 331
I say buy the one the DW likes best. All are good motorhomes.
__________________
HoleInOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Cat320's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleInOne View Post
...I say buy the one the DW likes best...
Good suggestion, also check these: www.americancoach.com
__________________
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
Member
 
LabRat's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lincoln University, PA
Posts: 78
The comment about Montana winters caused me to chime in. Do a search in the owners forums about winter use before making a decision. We had an 04 HR Imperial and was COLD in mild winter use. It just didn't seem well insulated. Not to start a war because we loved our imperial, but many owners idea of winter camping involved a snowbird migration too late in the year. When looking for a new coach, using it in the winter, a real winter, was important. I found that many Country Coach owners do use theirs in all temps and one fellow lived through an Alaska winter in one. Our CC has been night and day in terms of livability in cold temps. The insulation was better. The layout of the systems to keep the bays from getting too cold was much better as well.

In all there are a lot of good coaches, but each have pluses and minuses. I would highly recommend a Magna or Affinity based on how you want to use it.
__________________
John D.
2007 Rhapsody #R007
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
The comment about Montana winters caused me to chime in. Do a search in the owners forums about winter use before making a decision. We had an 04 HR Imperial and was COLD in mild winter use. It just didn't seem well insulated. Not to start a war because we loved our imperial, but many owners idea of winter camping involved a snowbird migration too late in the year. When looking for a new coach, using it in the winter, a real winter, was important. I found that many Country Coach owners do use theirs in all temps and one fellow lived through an Alaska winter in one. Our CC has been night and day in terms of livability in cold temps. The insulation was better. The layout of the systems to keep the bays from getting too cold was much better as well.

In all there are a lot of good coaches, but each have pluses and minuses. I would highly recommend a Magna or Affinity based on how you want to use it.
Thanks for the reply John. Did CC make a bath and 1/2 FP, and what are the major diff between the Magna and Affinity?
__________________
Benellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
I chose to go with the Monaco Signature, it had the better wood work and that's a big thing with me. The bath and a half is great and I don't think the "Boss" or myself would ever go back to a single bath unit again.

I actually tow a 2007 Ford Explorer with my Sig and it's like it's not even there, and the Cummins ISX is a fantastic engine that offers all the power you could ever need.

Thanks Charles. is the Beaver Marquis? One more general question. Is there a real benefit to having a isx 650 over a 600hp?
__________________
Benellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
Member
 
LabRat's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lincoln University, PA
Posts: 78
Yes, there are bath and a half layouts and the Magna and Affinity are very similar coaches. My understanding is that the difference being that the Magna were predesigned by the factory and Affinity allowed more customization inside with respect to colors, fabrics, etc. that is why you occasionally see some funky interior schemes on the Affinity. More CC owners hang out on the CC Yahoo group that could help with those specific models as well.
__________________
John D.
2007 Rhapsody #R007
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Steve Ownby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cosby, Tn
Posts: 6,393
I can tell you about the Sig although mine is older ('03). We have lived full time in our coach for 6 years now. We spend Nov, Dec and sometimes part of Jan every year in the mountains of east Tn. We normally get temps down around 20 and sometimes lower. We have never felt cold and can pick between 3 heat sources. We have 2 built in baseboard heaters and an electric fireplace which can easily take the chill off a cool morning. Of course there are the 3 heat pumps for days in the high 30's and the AquaHot for seriously cold days. I use to insulate my standard fresh water hose but have just switched to one of the heated hoses. The AquaHot has kept the wet bays safe down to one over night at 9 degrees.

The other Sig feature that has not been mentioned is the S Series semi monocoque chassis. This is a very strong chassis that has very little flex and is a joy to drive.

The main difference in the 600 and 650 ISX is the DEF system. I believe the 650 was only offered after DEF systems were added. If you notice, several engines got a HP boost when the DEF systems were added because it enabled them to de-tune the EGR system somewhat.
__________________
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I can tell you about the Sig although mine is older ('03). We have lived full time in our coach for 6 years now. We spend Nov, Dec and sometimes part of Jan every year in the mountains of east Tn. We normally get temps down around 20 and sometimes lower. We have never felt cold and can pick between 3 heat sources. We have 2 built in baseboard heaters and an electric fireplace which can easily take the chill off a cool morning. Of course there are the 3 heat pumps for days in the high 30's and the AquaHot for seriously cold days. I use to insulate my standard fresh water hose but have just switched to one of the heated hoses. The AquaHot has kept the wet bays safe down to one over night at 9 degrees.

The other Sig feature that has not been mentioned is the S Series semi monocoque chassis. This is a very strong chassis that has very little flex and is a joy to drive.

The main difference in the 600 and 650 ISX is the DEF system. I believe the 650 was only offered after DEF systems were added. If you notice, several engines got a HP boost when the DEF systems were added because it enabled them to de-tune the EGR system somewhat.
Thanks for your reply Steve, very helpful. What do you mean by DEF and is there a difference between the Sig and the Marquis?
__________________
Benellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #11
Member
 
LabRat's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lincoln University, PA
Posts: 78
DEF - Diesel Exhaust Fluid (urea). It It was an EPA mandate in about 2008. Worse performance, worse gas mileage, higher maintenance costs, supposed less emissions.
__________________
John D.
2007 Rhapsody #R007
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Steve Ownby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cosby, Tn
Posts: 6,393
The Cummins engines built beginning in 2010 use DEF which goes in a separate tank and is injected at a computer controlled rate into the exhaust to reduce the NOX emissions. DEF is now available in truck stops both at the pump and in jugs. Most coach builder stocked enough engines to get them into the 2011-2012 model years. I doubt that any Sigs or Marquis were produced with DEF. ONLY A FEW Sigs were built in the 2010 configuration and they used engines from before 2010. No Beavers have been built by Navistar so they are in the same situation. By the same logic, no ISX 650's are in either coach because that was only engines with the DEF system.

The Sigs and Marquis you will see in the '05-09 range are built on the same chassis and the differences are cosmetic. The Beaver wood work is beautiful but I'm not a fan of the high gloss finish and the burlwood part is a veneer which can chip off. This is just a personal preference. They were built on the same production line with the same workers. Monaco used some Cat engines in various coaches but I'm not knowledgeable about when and what coach.
__________________
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
cb5300's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,167
Any Sigs built after 1 Dec 2008 had the ISX 650 instead of the ISX 600 (if the ISX option was chosen), and these engines did not have the DEF system. Supposely they (Monaco) ran out of the 600 engines and had to go to the 650 engine. I missed getting a 650 by only 5 days, I tried to get Monaco to switch my engine (the 600) for the 650, but they said that my chassis had been completed and engine was already installed... I was told later by Cummins that the only difference between the 600 and the 650 was the "computer tune" that was installed.

For what it's worth, I've had my 600 dyno at Cummins and was surprised that it was putting out 700 HP...
__________________
Charles and Martha*2008 Monaco Signature
FMCA #F388752*GoodSam Life Member
2007 Ford Explorer - Toad
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
DEF - Diesel Exhaust Fluid (urea). It It was an EPA mandate in about 2008. Worse performance, worse gas mileage, higher maintenance costs, supposed less emissions.
Aint the gummint grand.....??
__________________

__________________
Benellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
monaco, travel



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.