RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #15

I wouldn't consider a class C, they are very tight on the inside and ride really bad.

A used class A gas or DP is what I would do, lots of great used coaches out there! With 4 kids being able to completely separate them in a RV when traveling down the highway is priceless. When my x and I were RV shopping she originally wanted a bunk model ( has 3 kids) and I have always been against them. After a bunch of searching we didn't go with a bunch Rav. They always seem to small/short and as the kids grow there often times comes a day when they will not fit. So we went with a coach that had a seperatre bed for each. Possibly consider a floor plan like what I had (08 Bounder 38P) which had the booth dinette, j sofa and the couch which cold sleep four people easily.

As someone mentioned I would look into what your van can tow before you find a trailer floorplan that you like.

Finding a used RV can save you a bunch of money and you can still get something sometimes in better condition vs new.

NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2017, 02:43 PM   #16

One consideration is storage, most Class A's have significant basement storage. Another is cold weather use, the plumbing in most Class A's is contained by the basement which can be heated.
It's tough call for a growing family, we had travel trailers pulled by vans for years as the kids were growing and they worked out well for our summer holidays and weekend trips. Now we are retired and take trips for months in the winter so our needs are different.
Good luck with your decision.

Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:42 PM   #17

Thanks for more good replies. We're still in the planning stages, but I like the options out there. We went by a local dealership today and looked at a class C and a couple of class As, and I think I will write off the class C out of hand. I don't see that as a good balance between the two options, it has less space than the TT with no benefit over driving my van.

The class A gassers were really nice, on the other hand. I saw a recent used Thor Windsport 34J that was in really good condition, and the layout seems to work really well. I'd rather have diesel, but for half the price it might be a good place to start.

Something about the driving position and set up gives me a lot of confidence in how well this would drive over my van with a TT. The idea that the kids could play games and use the restroom on the road adds hugely to the functionality of it while we are driving. I can picture much longer trips with a class A than I can imagine in the van.

Thanks for the comments so far, and I appreciate any more discussion as well.
OldBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:59 PM   #18

Ok, this is just my take on things, but I would strongly lean towards looking at an older high quality motorhome, probably a class A, probably something in the 10-12 year old range that likely sold new in the $150,000+ price range, that now sells for 1/5th of that. It is has already taken the major hit on depreciation, and the depreciation rate greatly drops off after about the 10 year mark, so you are not loosing thousands of dollars of value as it sits in storage in the off season likely while the kids are in school.

As to justifying a class A over a towable, a class A carries a kitchen, living room and bathroom around all accessible without getting out of the vehicle. This comes in remarkably handy when stuck in traffic jams, or even when it is just raining cats and dogs outside. Last year just after buying my current class A, I was driving it home to Louisiana when I got stuck in a 4 hour long traffic jam on I-10 outside Tallahassee, someone had flipped a travel trailer being pulled by an SUV and blocked all westbound lanes. So while being stuck in gridlock, I baked a frozen pizza, stretched out on the sofa, turned on the tv to watch local news coverage of the traffic jam, ... all the while keeping an eye out the front windshield where I could look over much of the stopped cars in front of me, and was able to get back to the drivers seat and be ready to move in a matter of seconds. Carrying kids that will want bathroom breaks and snacks would also make a class A much more convenient.

Also if this is something you plan to keep for a while, I personally feel motorhomes, particularly well built upper quality ones age much better than travel trailers, likely due to the fact so much about travel trailer construction is all about keeping the weight down.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:10 AM   #19

Well here is my answer. We have 4 kids also. Bought a TT last year with 2 sets of bunks. We have used it enough to get a feel for it and learned a lot.
We are already planning to upgrade to a Class A gasser in the near future.
Could be totally happy sticking with the TT but we feel the Class A is better for many of the reasons you stated.
We don't have a vehicle that can tow "4 down" so our first step is to get the wife a new vehicle that can also be our toad.
We are aggressively working towards paying off the TT and have started putting extra money aside each month so we can have a nice sized down payment between the savings and trade in or sale of the TT.
But.... don't delay getting started whatever you decide. All the kids love it and the experiences are better than I even thought. Not to many things these days exceed expectation but this camping thing certainly has.

8ptspike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, comparison, trailer, travel, travel trailer