Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2016, 03:47 PM   #15

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
I don't recall the OP mentioning length. What is the length of RV do you think you want ? Are you thinking 25', 30', 40', + ... ??
I personally prefer TT up to 32ish and 5r after that.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2016, 04:33 PM   #16

Like FatDog posted ...what size Rv are you looking at? I've had three TT & same # of 5th wheels. I prefer a 5th wheel as they tow shorter than the same size TT does. There will also be more floor plans with 5th wheels than TT. Most 5th wheels will have more slides & will weigh more. What Tow vehicle do you or are you going to get. That could be the deciding factor.
MTK46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:49 PM   #17

Thank you all for your input, it is greatly appreciated.
I am leaning towards the TT because I can't seem to find a 5er that I like, at least one that I can afford.
mmbrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:36 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
If its any help we looked about 8 months before settling on our 5er. Spent a lot of time reading about 5ers, checking out 5er until we finally settled on our present unit.....well truth be told DW settled on the unit......M buddy who had a TT encouraged us to get a 5er and I absolutely love the control I have.....don't even know I'm pulling the unit. I think there's a lot more selection in terms of floor plans with 5ers as well. Which ever way you decide to go...good luck
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbill View Post
Why?
Many, if not most of us, prefer a motor home if on the road much. The ease of setup and the convenience of not needing to go outside to get to the bathroom or kitchen are key issues. Another key issue is using a small towed for sight seeing instead of the big truck tow vehicle.

That leads to one of the major decision points in what to get. Some folks love their big P/U for daily driving and some of us don't. IF we don't we buy a MH for making the trip and use a car as a towed. If you park much the fuel costs can average out or favor that rig.

There are some decision points one has to consider when choosing what to use for self contained travel. Granted, there are work arounds, but the optimum choices come down to a MH if you don't want the big truck and/or want the convenience of staying inside. Pull behind if you want the truck to haul stuff. Fiver if you want the truck but have nothing significant to haul and don't mind going outside.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:19 AM   #20

I have not purchased the tow vehicle yet. I would really like to get a smaller truck as this would be my only vehicle. This leaves me looking at light weight RVs. If I pair an F-150 3.5L Ecoboost with an RV weighing <9000lbs, is that an adequate TV? But this limits my options with 5ers. I want something about 30 feet, but the ones I find I like are usually about 34.
So how much length does a TT add to the total rig?
mmbrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:04 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Many, if not most of us, prefer a motor home if on the road much. The ease of setup and the convenience of not needing to go outside to get to the bathroom or kitchen are key issues. Another key issue is using a small towed for sight seeing instead of the big truck tow vehicle.

That leads to one of the major decision points in what to get. Some folks love their big P/U for daily driving and some of us don't. IF we don't we buy a MH for making the trip and use a car as a towed. If you park much the fuel costs can average out or favor that rig.

There are some decision points one has to consider when choosing what to use for self contained travel. Granted, there are work arounds, but the optimum choices come down to a MH if you don't want the big truck and/or want the convenience of staying inside. Pull behind if you want the truck to haul stuff. Fiver if you want the truck but have nothing significant to haul and don't mind going outside.

Makes sense. Thanks.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbill View Post
Why?
a motorhome can be set up for a quick overnight without ever leaving the coach. even if u need electric you still would only need to hook up the power cord in ideal situations. Your wife and kids would never have to get out while traveling. Also you don't have to get out of the MH to use the bathroom. I love my TT but when we stop for fuel and 20miles down the road it gets annoying when someone has to pee during a 1000mile trip.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:01 PM   #23

Another thing is you will get different opinions from weekenders vs retired or fulltime travelers. A TT is perfect for me who does 8 weekends a year and a week long trip once a year. We only have to do overnight stops during the big trip once a year. Much different than the older couple with who is semi retired or fulltiming. A fifth wheel or MH generally is much better for those folks especially if you can afford it. IF not once set a up a TT offers all the same amenites minus a few little things.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:07 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
As others might say I'd think floor plan is the most important thing to think about. I'd also think you'll spend more time parked than driving so living area is really important - In my humble opinion type of vehicle is secondary and purely personal preference.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:42 PM   #25

I got back into rving about 5 years ago, I had a Chevy 1500 Silverado 4x4 with tow package, my first camper was a 2001 Sunny Brook 27' bunkhouse with no slides. I purchased about 1/2 way into the first season a Reese dual cam system,after installing and adjusting you didn't even know the trailer was behind you. That trailer was 4500lbs dry, and towed it from upstate NY to Cherokee NC. At the beginning of last season I purchased a 2016 Springdale 271 RL it is about 8000lbs loaded. I installed the Reese dual cam on that trailer and it did fine but was at the top of the limits of the truck, this year on the trip to Cherokee it labored over a few of the bigger hills but still did fine. Also I must add that I have pulled all kinds of trailer for over 30 years. A 5er would be nice but the cost isn't , so chose what fits your budget and know your limits of driving and towing. Good luck on your new trailer, relax on the drive and enjoy the ride
Springdale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:31 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
Thing that gets me is when someone says a fifth wheel is ALWAYS a step up or an upgrade. Some people buy TT's by choice I could have easily bought a lower mid range fifth wheel when we bought our TT. Some folks just have blinders on and can only see one thing a 5'er. If it was not for my golf cart we would probably have a fifth wheel. The other thing is how you will use it. When traveling long distances with frequent over nights a MH will do better than a TT or 5er.
It could be to rationalize the purchase of a 5er and a diesel truck. Worked for me!! LOL
Old 12-29-2016, 06:16 AM   #27

I'm convinced the main reason for owning a fiver is to own a big P/U. That's why I drive a motor home. ;-))
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, travel, travel trailer