Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2015, 09:28 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryegal View Post
hi all I was just wondering how many people travel with a fib?
I notice that someone changed the title of your thread from "A-Fib" to "defib". Are you asking about someone with atrial fibrillation traveling? Or do you mean a defibrillator? I believe a lot of people have A-fib, and travel with no problems. My sister has an irregular heartbeat and travels without issue.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
CPR saves only about 5% and that is when it is performed immediately.
I keep hearing that but it runs contrary to what I hear from real life. I have a nurse friend that saved 3 out of 3 in a non-hospital setting. I know it is not 100%, but 5% seems on the low end. Maybe we just hear of the good outcomes and the bad ones never make the "papers".

So what is it like when the implanted defib goes off while you are driving? fully manageable? Does it give you a warning? Can you feel it?

CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:43 AM   #17

justoljim2 here. Was perusing the forums and happened to see this thread. Thought I'd input a comment or two.

1) I interpret the original poster was referencing an AED (portable defibrillator) but perhaps not.

2) Larry B. Luckiest Dreamer - I too travel with a defibrillator or as you stated, it travels with me. If I'm there it is too, don't have to worry about forgetting it. Do I know when it reads a "SHOCK" signal? You'd better believe I do. Now I'll try to briefly state my situation. On November 3, 2006 I was carrying on a quiet conversation with a young man when without any warning my heart went into Ventricular Fibrillation status. I immediately passed out and fell to the pavement. The next few comments reflect info that was told me. I was unconscious with no pulse or respiration. The young man and a lady standing by started CPR. Even with the CPR, I remained in the no breath, no pulse state for just under 6 minutes before the EMT crew could start shocking me. I finally met the lady a couple of years ago. Her comment upon the reunion "I didn't think I would ever see you again. When we were giving CPR you were lifeless and as gray as the concrete you were on. Everyone was saying "Give it up He's gone" but we could not do that to you so we just kept at it until the Fire Department got there". I'm told that the EMT crew got a restart on the 4th shock and started transport to hospital but lost me in transit and got another restart on the 3rd new shock sequence. Upon arrival at the hospital I was on life saving support with no response until the third day when I suddenly started responding. Decision was made to implant a pacemaker/defibrillator and here I am today. I suffered no heart damage, no blockage was found, heart is strong. To this date my cardiology team has not been able to determine a cause for the heart stoppage. My primary cardiologist tells me that I experienced Sudden Cardiac Death and beat every odds in the book. I have experienced shocks from the defibrillator but not related to heart rhythm in any form. Three years following the implant a diode in the defibrillator went bad necessitating a new implant. Replacement went fine. Then one year later the defibrillator began to randomly shock me. After a few of those it was determined that I had a lead "kinking" and causing a distortion of the signal being monitored by the defibrillator. So back inside, remove the lead, snake in a new one, install "zipper" and I was on my way. No problems or issues since. Just kidding about the zipper but I will probably need a replacement in 2017 or 2018.

Larry, I too have the monitoring system. Haven't tried the cell phone unit. I'm still hard wired. How's that for brevity? Is CPR good? My cardiology team states that the continued application of CPR by the young man and the lad y was forcing small amounts of oxygen to the brain, at least enough volume to offset damage due to lack of oxygen. Draw your own conclusions on benefit. Do I worry about defibrillator going off while driving. Certainly but that is welcomed more than Cardiac Arrest.

Jim N "justoljim2
Old 01-10-2015, 06:40 AM   #18

Is this a "good" one ? I've not been diagnosed with a problem, but seems like a good idea to have one of these life saving devices.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1420893641.083224.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	83036
Old 01-10-2015, 07:53 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-Am.Star View Post
My son has had 2 ablations in the past
Had one of those OCT, 2013.... Then later I had to go for a sleep study cause 2 of my doctors insisted I had to have sleep Apena (NO I DO NOT, per the study)

Technician ask how often I got heart burn, I ask him if the kind Dr. Krishen (Krishen the Electrician is how he introduced himself) gave me... he thought on that for a bit and said NO..

(So i told him I can not recall the last time it has been so long),, used to get it or, 2 or 3 times a year... Then I retired,

Got CPR certified the first time by choice,, Several more times as a side effect of employment (Police Dispatcher) and after retirment re-upped by choice at church (Alas not closed), As I have said,, Seen it work,, never done it personally (have done some of the stuff on the side,,,, Like make the call for EMS) but never done hands on CPR..

In one of my training sessions the instructor collapsed in my arms.. Later, in the aforementioned church,, While we were standing and holding hands,, Suddenly the person on my left changed her grip on my hand.. I gave it about 1/2 second thought, dropped hands with the person on my right, Pivoted left and caught her as she fell.. NOT a heart problem (Postural Hypotension, I have that too, just not nearly as bad) but she was glad I played catch and I was glad of that instructor's training program. Oh,, I got the best score in CPR class from that instructor as well.. Missed 2 on the written.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:15 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by justoljim2 View Post
justoljim2 here. Was perusing the forums and happened to see this thread. Thought I'd input a comment or two.

1) I interpret the original poster was referencing an AED (portable defibrillator) but perhaps not.

2) Larry B. Luckiest Dreamer - I too travel with a defibrillator or as you stated, it travels with me. If I'm there it is too, don't have to worry about forgetting it. Do I know when it reads a "SHOCK" signal? You'd better believe I do. Now I'll try to briefly state my situation. On November 3, 2006 I was carrying on a quiet conversation with a young man when without any warning my heart went into Ventricular Fibrillation status. I immediately passed out and fell to the pavement. The next few comments reflect info that was told me. I was unconscious with no pulse or respiration. The young man and a lady standing by started CPR. Even with the CPR, I remained in the no breath, no pulse state for just under 6 minutes before the EMT crew could start shocking me. I finally met the lady a couple of years ago. Her comment upon the reunion "I didn't think I would ever see you again. When we were giving CPR you were lifeless and as gray as the concrete you were on. Everyone was saying "Give it up He's gone" but we could not do that to you so we just kept at it until the Fire Department got there". I'm told that the EMT crew got a restart on the 4th shock and started transport to hospital but lost me in transit and got another restart on the 3rd new shock sequence. Upon arrival at the hospital I was on life saving support with no response until the third day when I suddenly started responding. Decision was made to implant a pacemaker/defibrillator and here I am today. I suffered no heart damage, no blockage was found, heart is strong. To this date my cardiology team has not been able to determine a cause for the heart stoppage. My primary cardiologist tells me that I experienced Sudden Cardiac Death and beat every odds in the book. I have experienced shocks from the defibrillator but not related to heart rhythm in any form. Three years following the implant a diode in the defibrillator went bad necessitating a new implant. Replacement went fine. Then one year later the defibrillator began to randomly shock me. After a few of those it was determined that I had a lead "kinking" and causing a distortion of the signal being monitored by the defibrillator. So back inside, remove the lead, snake in a new one, install "zipper" and I was on my way. No problems or issues since. Just kidding about the zipper but I will probably need a replacement in 2017 or 2018.

Larry, I too have the monitoring system. Haven't tried the cell phone unit. I'm still hard wired. How's that for brevity? Is CPR good? My cardiology team states that the continued application of CPR by the young man and the lad y was forcing small amounts of oxygen to the brain, at least enough volume to offset damage due to lack of oxygen. Draw your own conclusions on benefit. Do I worry about defibrillator going off while driving. Certainly but that is welcomed more than Cardiac Arrest.

Jim N "justoljim2
It sounds as though you had a fun time of it. Mine was a bit more straight forward, in as though my heart never stopped nor did I have a heart attack. I went to my DR. with an extreme lack of energy and trouble breathing. The heart was beating at 35% of capacity and therefore a diagnosis of heart failure. They quickly put me on the table and installed the three wire defib and put me on several different heart meds and I have not looked back. The battery wore out after 5 years(supposedly a 10 year battery) and this beautiful young cardioligists (Electrician) scheduled another table and viola I have a new stronger than ever replacement. I asked to have the type installed that could accomadate the cell phone, ordered it and within a few weeks we had the land line removed from the house as our personel cell phones and the one on the defib was all that is needed. My defib has never went off! It is there if the need arrizes! The heart has responded to medication and has rebounded. All I need the defib for now is to keep both chambers of my heart in sync, as it is also a pacemaker!

Keep well
Larry B
PS I have driven over 50,000 miles with this thing in my chest and flown around the world. I believe I must have been born with the thing!
Old 01-11-2015, 10:16 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi,

I work in Non-Invasive Cardiology. I have done CPR more times than I can remember. For those who have taken the classes, it technically is easier on a human than a manequin.

That being said, CPR does help. The survival rate is going to strongly depend on how fast you get to the patient, how EFFECTIVE the CPR
being performed is done (you have to get good peripheral circulation), and how fast the patient is transported to emergency services (be that an ambulance with AED or Hospital ER).

CPR is the only chance you have if your heart and breathing has stopped. Without it you are dead. With it you have a chance. Many things will affect the outcome. Some of us have that Angel on the our shoulder and it just is not your time.

I have seen patients make it with no deficit that I thought were gone and we have worked very hard on others and they died.

If you are talking having an AED for your personal use, there might be an issue. Is someone going to be with you and trained in it's use. You will not likely be able to put it on yourself. If you could (highly doubtful) are you going to be with it enough to press the SHOCK button.

Sometimes people get lucky and someone is by them with the training. How often that happens is unknown. Do you know when you are camping if the person next to you knows CPR and do you know CPR? I have been certified for over 30 years. I have had patients die under my hands and others who survived. It takes a lot of people to make it work and succeed and the Man upstairs.

I hate it when I am in a restaurant or store and I hear the universal choking signal. I end up doing CPR and then get stared at like I am an alien. I never know the outcomes of these cases but know I have done all I can. I hope some of them survived but I am sure that not all of them have. It often leaves you feeling a bit lost because you do care about their outcome.

It would be great if everyone would take a CPR class. If I have a heart attack and am with my family I will die because none of them are willing to take the class. Don't do that to your family, it is one day out of your life and may make all the difference in the life or death of someone you love.

Patients who have AICDs installed tell me when they go off it hurts like hell. With driving, you usually have advanced notice something is off, so pull over and park.

I always carry a shield too in case I have to do CPR. Lynne

beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel