Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #1

Travelers Checks?

Does anybody still use travelers checks? Going on 2+ month trip and want to pay as we go but not sure about carrying large amount of cash. Never had large amount of cash before and dont know how to act. Also dont want to use credit cards. Help please....

puddintang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Are you staying in the US or going somewhere outside the US?

In the US debit cards are fine.

Outside the US you should look in to a low exchange rate card. Last I heard Capital One has a card that doesn't charge you currency exchange fees.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddintang View Post
Also dont want to use credit cards. Help please....
Why not? Nowadays your liability for credit card theft, fraud etc is either zero or $50 at most. We use credit cards for absolutely everything from ice cream to $400 fuel fills, and pay the bill electronically at the end of the month. The other benefit is that we can track and budget every expense. Travelers checks are, well, kind of dated.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessenab View Post
Are you staying in the US or going somewhere outside the US?

In the US debit cards are fine.

Outside the US you should look in to a low exchange rate card. Last I heard Capital One has a card that doesn't charge you currency exchange fees.
We will be going through Canada as well as here in the USA.
puddintang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessenab View Post
Last I heard Capital One has a card that doesn't charge you currency exchange fees.

Capital One Professional Visa is what we use. No fees or exchange rate hikes for foreign use.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #6

Get a debit card that has your photo on it.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is actually more risk to a debit card than anything else. Of course this depends on the amount you have in the bank. A credit card is the best way to go, the least liability.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
My spouse will occasionally still use traveler's checks when traveling rather than carrying cash. Not everyplace you want to go , see, or thing you want to buy accepts credit cards. Mostly for large family type vacations... which the last was 8? years ago? So it might have been that long since he used them. disclaimer... he won't use a cell phone either....and he's an electrical engineer... you would think he'd want all the gadgets...LOL!
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddintang View Post
Does anybody still use travelers checks? Going on 2+ month trip and want to pay as we go but not sure about carrying large amount of cash. Never had large amount of cash before and dont know how to act. Also dont want to use credit cards. Help please....

If you don't want to use any plastic cards, open a checking account at a large
bank that has branches in Canada, too. Deposit your money and every so
often stop at a branch and cash a check for what you think will last you for a week or so.
No cards and no wad of cash.
But take some Travelers Checks too, so not all your money is in one place.
Have fun....

Old 05-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
How about a bank card at an ATM? I haven't used Traveler's Checks for years, but I can go to an ATM and have cash immediately. Debit Card use can be a problem, when you use them at some merchants they put a 'reserve' on way more than the purchase price. You could overdraw the account.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
The answer is yes, people still use travellers cheques. And they have some advantages and disadvantages. If they are lost or stolen, they can be replaced. They also work when cards and wallets get lost or stolen. You can also get them for specific currencies (i.e. Canadian). You also know exactly what you have got which is not always the case with debit or credit cards. Not to mention cards can be compromised and cutoff with little or no warning under certain circumstances. The only real downside is that people are less familiar with them so there is the chance some wet behind the ears school kid who is the only one at the till might not want to take them because he won't know what they are.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I suppose you can still use traveler checks. Younger store clerks may not know what they are, but they still work fine. Last time I used one myself was about 10 years ago, but I received one in payment a couple years back. I just deposited it in my checking account like any other check.

Personally, though, I side with those who recommend using a credit card or a debit card. I have used both in Canada.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
If you use a credit card or debit card & you don't frequently travel, you should notify the bank or carrier of the card, that you will be traveling & into what areas you will be traveling. I have had the card companies call me several times when we first stated traveling about 6 years ago. They just want to make sure its you that is using your account. I work for a large travel industry company, on occasion when my fellow workers who only travel a few times a year go out of the country with out notifying the CC company their cards have been put on hold and this always seems to happen on the weekend.

I have used travelers checks in the recent past and as some have mentioned above, not all the clerks even know what they are let alone how to use them. But if you go this route I would suggest you get a well known company travelers checks and you can always take them to a bank and cash what you may need for a few days.

We are also going on a 5 week vacation this summer, now that you bring this up it is something we had not discussed. Although I imagine we will just continue to use our Credit Cards and get the cash back on purchases then pay it off when we return. Just need to be careful and not go over budget.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #14

We use our debit card exclusively for years and never had a problem. We dont leave home without it.

donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote