Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2015, 11:01 PM   #1

Traveling after lasek back surgery

Has anyone ever had the lasek back surgery they advertise as taking only a 1" incesion and up and around that same day, then traveling in a few days?
How successful was that type of surgery on the back. It's supposed to be great for herniated disc or vertebrea.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2015, 06:22 AM   #2

Yep, I had it done, but not by the Laser Spine Institute. They don't accept Medicare, and they wanted a lot of money up front. And they really don't use a laser. Plus they're just the mechanics, they don't do any follow up. You have to see your own Dr. for that. I had mine done by a Neurologist in Wash. DC. who specializes in that type of surgery. After the surgery I was up and walking around, and sent home that day. The next day I walked 3 miles without any pain at all, and here it is over 2yrs. later and I'm still pain free. If you can find the right surgeon it's a great way to alleviate the back pain. And yes I didn't have any problem traveling. We hit the road 7 days later after a post-op appt. with the surgeon.

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Yep, I had it done, but not by the Laser Spine Institute. They don't accept Medicare, and they wanted a lot of money up front. And they really don't use a laser. Plus they're just the mechanics, they don't do any follow up. You have to see your own Dr. for that. I had mine done by a Neurologist in Wash. DC. who specializes in that type of surgery. After the surgery I was up and walking around, and sent home that day. The next day I walked 3 miles without any pain at all, and here it is over 2yrs. later and I'm still pain free. If you can find the right surgeon it's a great way to alleviate the back pain. And yes I didn't have any problem traveling. We hit the road 7 days later after a post-op appt. with the surgeon.
Are you from the DC area or how did you pick the area? Did your family doctor recommend this surgeon?
My wife is looking for the same type of surgery. As full timers we are able to go anywhere. Just don't want to go north this time of the year.
Brose38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:24 PM   #4

A lot will depend on what is wrong with the back, and only a good doctor with the proper MRI and or X-ray can tell what is right procedure should be. My doctor, wife and I discussed a lot of options including minimally invasive surgery, and a second opinion confirmed our decision. I had lower back operation last May, but it was pretty extensive. Three vertebrae were worked on and a disk was removed and another surgical modified, two titanium beams and 4 screws, and 4 bone baskets were employed. 4 days in the hospital and 3 months with a back brace. However, 3 months to the day, I donated the back brace to Goodwill, climbed into the drivers seat and we embarked on a 3 month trip. I made a deal with the doctor I would walk as many hours as we drove so we kept the driving time down to 4 hours per day, and walking/hiking as many hours. Yesterday we went snow skiing. I feel great, and all of my leg/back pin is gone.

So, long story short, talk to a good doctor and see what they recommend. I used the University of Kentucky Spine Care Center and I'm glad I did.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:27 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had that done wagonmaster2, back in February 2007, at the Laser Spine Institute in Tampa. They did three procedures on L4-L5, took about an hour and I had two incisions, each about an inch long. They used a laser to cut away part of the spine that was causing problems, can't remember now the name of the procedures, could find that if you are interested. I stayed in a hotel overnight, back to see them the next morning and then back home to Houston on a flight the following morning. Was on a stationary bike three days after the surgery. No follow up doctor visits, that was it. It didn't give me complete relief from my back pain but it was a considerable improvement. Insurance didn't cover it, was $30,000 out of pocket which was more painful than the back discomfort. Make sure you get the procedure pre-approved by your insurance company. I fought Aetna for two years and finally threw in the towel. Aetna had covered other patients with the exact same procedures but claimed I didn't follow protocol so they deemed the surgery to be experimental. Eventually their attorneys just wore me down.
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:41 PM   #6

Appreciate all the information. Neither of us is in the crippling position yet but the wife does have pain in her hip/leg sometimes early in the mornings before we get out of bed. The Lasek Spine Institute ads makes it sound so simple and since our trouble according to both our MRIs is with ruptured discs pressing on the nerves it seems it would be easy to remove part of those discs. But ads always make things look better than reality, just look at all the Fast Food sandwich ads which no more resemble the real thing than a motorcycle resembles a bicycle.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:39 PM   #7

I used Laser Spine Institute in Tampa and it was a great experience. It's works great for something like you have. Send them your MRIs for a free consultation. I wouldn't travel a long distance right away as you still have drugs in you, a few days maybe.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:33 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Had this done back in the 1980s one of the first. Was on my feet walking the hall after the drugs wore off a little. Went home the next morning a little pain at the incision site just watch the heavy lifting after that. I was a heavy equipment mechanic before and after.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brose38 View Post
Are you from the DC area or how did you pick the area? Did your family doctor recommend this surgeon?
My wife is looking for the same type of surgery. As full timers we are able to go anywhere. Just don't want to go north this time of the year.
Originally we're from MD., but have been fulltiming almost 5yrs. now. My suggestion to you is look for a Board Certified Neurosurgeon near a major city where you are that specializes in the type of surgery you need. Get an MRI done so you won't have to wait. He'll definately want that. Some want an MRI & an X-ray. I wanted someone who had a lot of experience in the procedure so I'd be confident that he'd be able to handle anything that might crop up. The guy I found actually teaches the procedure at Georgetown University Hospital. I also was looking for a surgeon who was very knowledgable in minimally invasive techniques. I believe that's VERY important for a fast recovery time. You say you can go anywhere, I'd look in say FL. where a lot of retirees are. We seem to all eventually have back problems, and where there's problems, Dr.'s will be near.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:32 PM   #10

Do what your Dr. tells you.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B

Tags
travel