Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2014, 07:21 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Traveling Through Canada with Dogs

Has anyone recently traveled through Canada with dogs? Are there any requirements beyond current shot records?

Thanks,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2014, 07:50 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
We did last year. Vet claimed we needed the air travel certs, but my wife insisted on only shot records. Canadian and US border folks didn't ask for it, but that's all they require.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:00 AM   #3

I'm told that Canada restricts breed. Put Bull's (American Staffordshire Terrier) are not allowed.

I have never verified this, so it might be worth a call beforehand if you own one.

Dan
Old 05-26-2014, 08:11 AM   #4

This page on the Canadian government site can answer all your question. Just click thru to the area about dogs. I am linking to the top level that lists all types of animals.

http://travel.gc.ca/returning/customs/pets
Old 05-26-2014, 08:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bennett View Post
We did last year. Vet claimed we needed the air travel certs, but my wife insisted on only shot records. Canadian and US border folks didn't ask for it, but that's all they require.
According to this Canadian government website they are only restricted in the province of Ontario. Info is the last link at the bottom of the page.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/.../1364364352456
Old 05-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelledan View Post
I'm told that Canada restricts breed. Put Bull's (American Staffordshire Terrier) are not allowed.

I have never verified this, so it might be worth a call beforehand if you own one.

Dan
Not all of Canada - some provinces have breed-specific bans. Ontario is one. Not sure how/if it's enforced at the border since CBSA is a federal entity and not a provincial entity.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:59 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
You might get hasseled re: dog food. I think dry is OK but anything fresh I think they frown on it-same as when we head south-no meat or meat byproducts. Not a big deal as most of the same dog food is available in Canada as in the US( and that is where most of it comes from).
Old 05-28-2014, 04:05 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPASMURF View Post
You might get hasseled re: dog food. I think dry is OK but anything fresh I think they frown on it-same as when we head south-no meat or meat byproducts. Not a big deal as most of the same dog food is available in Canada as in the US( and that is where most of it comes from).
They actually want you to have unopened bags of Dfood at the border so that it is assured that what is in the bag is what the bag says. Had a Canadian Customs Officer explain that to us once.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:59 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
FWIW I've had dogs back and forth the border probably 20 times and only been asked once to see the shot records.
I actually had one of my dogs stow away. She had jumped in the motorhome before I left for a race in BC and I only found her when I was about half way to the border.
Naturally it was a time when they asked about pets and I fessed up. Told the story and he laughed and let us through.
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:47 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
When we lived in Alberta and crossed into Montana at Sweetgrass they asked to see the vet records for our 2 dogs. The same thing when we came back into Canada.
We now live in B.C. and cross frequently and have never been asked either way.

We don't take dog food across, we just buy it after we cross.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:10 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelledan View Post

Dan
not true just be responcible with what you got.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:18 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops2 View Post
not true just be responcible with what you got.
Nope I actually had a hassle with a cop who thought our Pug/Shiatsu was a pitbull cross. I suggested he get an eye examine which really made his partner laugh. Ontario has a ban on Pitbulls and from the sounds of things when they throw out the Liberals now ruining er running the place some of these ill thought out laws will be rescinded.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:19 AM   #13

Dog food

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPASMURF View Post
Does this mean in a can unopened? We've always traveled in Canada with dogs - no problem. We are headed to Newfoundland with two. From what I read about places to go they are all dog friendly, which is wonderful. But I don't want the border to confiscate 10 cans of wet food. They eat dry food but I put the wet in their Kongs.

Georgetown 328TS Class A 2010 Toyota Corolla
joannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:45 PM   #14

It's not going into Canada, its going home. For us its not going to the US its coming home they will ask for proof.

Tags
ada, travel