Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Traveling to Canada

We are traveling to Canada, this summer. I understand the restrictions on root vegetables/ ie : potatoes etc, no fruit. The need for passport; But; does anyone know if there is Any paperwork that needs to be completed; when crossing into Canada, in a Motorhome? I have checked the Canada web site and found nothing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:13 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
no papers, though you should have a "Canada Card" from your auto and or MH insurance carrier..they will ask q's about you, your coach and it's contents..max alcohol I think is one liter, papers showing shots for pets, and no guns. Be respectful as you are a guest entering their country and answer the questions truthfully and you should have no problem.

clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up Canada

No Paperwork at all. You drive up to the Booth (when you have a green light). You need the Passport to get back into the States!
Whatever grows on your side, you can not bring into Canada. No apples etc. Don't hide a gun in your Motorhome (BIG NO NO)
Enjoy your trip in Canada.

TW

Where are you crossing the Border?
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:30 PM   #4

When we went up last year, some of the things we were asked were:

Guns/ammo, you can buy a permit for a long gun but no handguns, don't even think about it.
Cash--10k seems to the the max amount they want you to have.
Do you have a safe on board
Booze and tobacco amounts
Do you have any bear spray
How long will you be in Canada

We took wasp spray in case we had any problems (didn't). Also, you can have a flare gun (legal in Canada) on board if you feel the need for protection.
We did take an insurance card and RV paperwork but were never asked.
Were never asked about any food
Think it depends where you cross and who is on duty at the POE.
Only came in contact with one "rambo" at a Canadian POE. Had contact with two at a US POE on return in ND.
Canadian people that we met were great. Enjoy...........
Old 06-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Money

Think about the 10,000 Dollar limit. It includes your pocketchange etc.
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Interesting thing about pepper spray. They asked me if it had apicture of a Bear on it, it didn't so they took it away. When I got back home and looked up the differance. Both are the same with the same ingrediants, in the same amounts, the one with a Bear on it squirts about 18 feet. No Bear picture sprays about 5 feet. About a mile inside Canada there was a sign that said, Use Pepper Spray For Bears ! What ?Sounds like the same crazy rules as the USA.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #7

The "Rambo" at the POE coming out of Skagway actually counted our money. He had sent my wife and a friend into their office to wait. after he counted the money he said for me to wait inside. Grabbed our money bag and left. I could tell he looked around but did not tear up the RV.
I call him Rambo since he was wearing leather gloves with the fingers cut out like Dog the Bounty Hunter wears.
Wasp and Hornet spray is said to shoot about 25 feet. Never had to use it on anyone but have heard it requires a trip to the hospital if you hit someone in the eyes. Don't think a bear would like it but don't want to check that out.
Sounds like Canada got help from the US on writing some rules.
We were boarded in ND and their great find was two dried up lemons that we had carried from Tn.. They said no citrus into the states but left a bag of oranges in the fridge.. Could not "figger" that one out.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #8
ccc

This summer we have crossed in and out of Canada and the US seveal times.
Interesting questions from the US , fruit, vegetables, meat or plants.
Took our mango but we could keep the cherries and OK on the tomatoes IF we cut them up.
Only question of substance was on one crossing back into US he wanted to see the registration for the truck.

Canada wanted to know about guns, "bear spray" cash, alcohol, tobacco.

From these queries one is able to discern the priorties of each country.
Presently in Anchorage so have several more crossing to get home.

CCC

Evergreen RV Owners Group
ccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:11 AM   #9

We just crossed over June 1st above Bonner's Ferry, ID. There's no advanced paperwork. Yes, potatoes are a no no. If you bring a veggie or fruit that the Canadians grow, it's subjective depending on any outstanding threats to their crops...they will tell you it's always changing...if it's a threat, it gets dumped. We had heard oranges and apples were a no go. They don't grow oranges in Canada so that's a misnomer...apples they do grow, but currently there's no threat and they're good to go. Best advice, take what ya got and don't go crazy buying fruits and veggies before entry. US processed meats are OK for now, we even had some bison they OKed but there again, I wouldn't go over the top buying in mass quanities...threats change... Wine limit is 1.5 liters, anything over...you paid a import. We had six 1.5 L bottles of wine and they didn't care - no import fee. Just be sure to declare everything you're not sure of...there's no penalty for having a claimed item(that's not totally illegal) but it sure makes them upset to find an item you 'forgot' to declare. Cheeses are OK (from the US)currently, but from other countries, there were a very few 'threats'...our block Havarti was 'safe'.

Have all your ducks in a row. Have all your passports, driver's licenses, insurance(including proof of CA ins, your auto/rv insurer will provide this form...we got ours on line - they never checked or asked for it). Jan made the mistake of not bringing her purse into the office(there's excuse #1 for a search and I had forgotten to bring in the USPS receipt for a hand gun I shipped from Bonner's Ferry to Chicken, AK - big excuse #2 - I fully understand this) We also had a 12 ga. with shells and a few rounds of ammo for the handgun I'd shipped. I called to check if this was legal and it is - but it's also, I believe, cause #3 for a search...I don't blame them there as well. We have a big can of bear spray with Mr. Bear on it, so it was good to go.

Well after a very thorough 30 minute search by four of Canada's finest and a $25 CA ($28 USd) fee, some pretty serious faces turn into 'happy' faces and we were welcomed into Canada...no damage done. Anything you can do to make their job easier, do it. It may make your entry into Canada just a little smoother. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Traveling to Canada

Thanks to all who posted a response to my question.

We are entering Canada in Montana; we are going to Canada and going North from there to meet up with a group/ caravan, for 15 days. This should be interesting, since we usually head west on our own, with no plans! As many of you said, I am trying to get my "ducks in a row", I have all documentation in one spot. We will leave MD on July 1 and meet in Canada on July 13. We are looking forward to this adventure.

Thanks to all, Happy summer!
Old 06-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
and I had forgotten to bring in the USPS receipt for a hand gun I shipped from Bonner's Ferry to Chicken, AK - big excuse #2 - I fully understand this) Bob
Why would they even care if you shipped a handgun from the mainland US to AK? It's not going through their country, you didn't have possession of it so they have no need to even ask.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Just in case they search and find ammo for the hand gun and suspect you still have that handgun hidden away in your MH. It just saves time and most Canadians are pretty nervous around and about handguns. Its like all you big bad Yankees are out to shoot us. There is a serious nervous fear about Americans and handguns in some parts of Canada and I blame our foolish governments for that.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Why would they even care if you shipped a handgun from the mainland US to AK? It's not going through their country, you didn't have possession of it so they have no need to even ask.
Possum nailed it. I had declared having a few rounds for the handgun that I shipped (I called ahead and this is legal). This is what I meant about 'having your ducks in a row', if I had the receipt that PROVED I had shipped it...and Jan had her purse with her(they will not allow you to return to the MH to retrieve ANYTHING), then a search would probably have not resulted. Who knows? Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I had to pay $25.00 and fill out a form to register my shotgun while pass ing through, the registration is good for 2 months. never had a Canadian Border Guard look in my RV, they always asked me about the number of cigarettes I have???

The US Border Guards will usually at least step inside and look around.

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote