Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #29
Originally Posted by Flyboy757 View Post
Our 32 C has a CCC of 985 lbs. Full water is not an option once you start calculating fuel (50 gal) 2 people (330 lbs) + clothes +food+ dishes+++, plus we were towing 4 down. The CCC of a unit quickly gets used. We just finished a 6 week, 5000 mi trip and had no need for full fresh water. Carried less than 1/3 tank. RV park every couple of days to use their water and sewer facilities.
Woodview....check your units CCC so you know what your C can carry. Get it weighed if necessary.
A full water tank is included in CCC.

So you if you have a CCC of 985 pounds, that already includes a full water tank.

2001 Mountain Aire DP 4095
TechWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2014, 08:37 PM   #30
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
A full water tank is included in CCC.

So you if you have a CCC of 985 pounds, that already includes a full water tank.
You are absolutely correct. Also includes full propane ....New unit to me and I was misreading the chart.

Flyboy757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:34 AM   #31
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We also always leave our base with a full water tank and empty gray/black tanks. This allows us to stop for the night, even if we are not at a camp ground. We might wish to spend 3 or 4 nights in a row in areas without hook ups. We could not do this if we start with an empty fresh water tank.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:32 PM   #32
100 gal from the front door to campground return. Stored full for disasters.
HR Endeavor DST Bath and 1/2
330 HP Allison 6-Speed - 7.5 mpg US
Me and the DW
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #33
Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
We'll normally leave the house with 1/4 tank or so - good for a couple of days with us. Reason would be weight savings, and less stress on the water tank's sidewalls. Say and do as you like, but with a full tank of water, the weight of that water sloshing around is flexing that tank.

If I'm expecting a day spent in a cross wind though, we'll fill the tank right up. It sits directly behind the front axle, and that weight has a definite positive effect on the coach's handling.
My guess is that a full tank will have no sloshing, whereas a partial tank will.
Bill Mahan
2012 Allegro Bus 43 QGP
Oldrtrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by NorthernDriv View Post
100 gal from the front door to campground return. Stored full for disasters.
I'm actually surprised that this hasn't been mentioned more. Although disasters can happen anywhere, I'm sure a lot folks in those areas more prone to natural disasters have this same mindset and practice.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:19 PM   #35
We always have our 98 gallons on board when traveling. Never know when you want to stop for a few days with out hook ups.
Fill it up and travel... Enjoy life.
Dave & Cris Branstiter 2002 Monaco Windsor 40' PBD Pulling a 28' Enclosed Trailer with our 2014 Rubicon X inside.Fulltimers Class of 2011
Gravy1159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:32 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I'm actually surprised that this hasn't been mentioned more. Although disasters can happen anywhere, I'm sure a lot folks in those areas more prone to natural disasters have this same mindset and practice.

Being we live in Earthquake country we would be depending on the fresh water tank for drinking water if some disaster happened.

I also have a 12 volt pump and required hoses (in and out) for refilling the tank from a convenient lake or stream.
Denise and Dennis Dalla-Vicenza Co-pilot Mizzie
Gracie a Winnebago 29 RQ +
George a Suzuki Toad
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Too much thought put into all of this. We travel with 100 gallons of water always. I don't worry about weight. I weighed our rig for the first time the other day and am very close to the limit. I'm positive that over the years on multiple rigs I have exceeded the cc of my RVs in some cases by a couple thousand pounds. Never have I noticed a difference of a little bit of weight. As a matter of fact I have found that the heavier I run the better it rides and handles. I've also found that whether I run loaded with a 5000 pound trailer or run light with no trailer and very little gear at 55 or 75 mph I get the same mileage. 6.5 to the gallon on my 8.1 super c or my v10 class a. Except for winter I keep the rig loaded with full propane, gas, water cloths and food. I worry about disasters and I'm always ready to pull my jacks and slides and go in 5 minutes. Your tank will have more stress put on it by sloshing water than by keeping it full. I'd bet most manufacturers go light on their carrying capacities for liability reasons. I stillx would recommend following them but wouldn't sweat a couple hundred pounds. Just make sure your tire inflations and load ratings are up to the task.
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k
mojoracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:34 PM   #38
I would wait till I get closer to camp before I fill it up. On mine that's an extra 800 lbs
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:18 AM   #39
My 2010 Surveyor trailer has a 32 gal. tank. When I first got it, I filled the tank, left for a long trip, and when I returned, I noticed the tank had "bulged' so that the axle hit it. Black paint on tank. Had I not noticed the "paint" on the tank, I wonder how long before the axle rubbed a hole in the tank ???? Forest River replaced the axle hangers, and I now travel with about a 1/3 tank.
So, all you trailer people, get out and get under, look to see if your tank is located above the axle. Check for signs of "rubbing"...
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our 82 has a Cap of 40 Gallons, and we bring a 7 and a 5 gallon tank filled and we are empty on the B/G tanks
At the in-laws cabin the dogs won't drink there water P U . So the tanks are full. Another CG we go too has great water so we leave home with the 2 7&5 gallon tanks filled till we get there (just for in case) and then fill up with some very good well water. YUM
If those with no water what do you do if you blow a hose or something like that and you need water to get to a service place? Personally I would pullover if there was a MH on the side of the road that needed water.
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad:99 Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:38 AM   #41
Carrying full water effects my gas mileage. In my DP's it would reduce it between .1 - .25 MPG. In my current gasser it can reduce it up to .4. Those claiming otherwise must have some magic abilities that let them override the laws of physics. Plus another thing is that a heavier coach put more stress on the transmission and the brakes but I can't really measure that.

By leaving the tanks at 1/4 that gives me 20 gallons (25 gallons and 30 gallons in my DP's) usable plus and emergency 10 in the water heater. This is more than enough for 2 days without scrimping and could be stretched to 5+ days in an emergency.

I only travel with full water when I know I will be camping without any place to fill up near my destination, which is extremely rare btw.
Steven and Stephanie
2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
2008 Hyundai Elantra
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #42
Being full-timers who travel constantly and whose first choice is always a public park or boondocking on national forest lands, we always carry full water - 105 gallons.

We also use filters so there's no change in water taste - always the same and always good.

Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote

fresh water, tank, travel, water