Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-12-2016, 01:43 PM   #1
Question Traveling with Oxygen Generator and Tanks ?

WE are in the MH and 1200 miles from home base. The DW was in the hospital for 10 days and was discharged with oxygen. I know I shouldn't have read the instructions and warning but I did !!! Of course it says no flames !!!!

So the questions are - Is anyone else traveling with an oxygen concentrator and tanks ? Need to know what I can and can't use inside the MH.

Can I use the gas stove top and oven or NO NO NO ??

We have electric heat as long as it's not really cold ?

Then there is providing 120v to the concentrator ? Right now we are parked, full hook up, awaiting release from the doctor to travel but when we head out, do I run the generator or will the inverter work for the concentrator ?

Please if anyone has experience with this issue please provide input. Need to know what I don't know !!!

Bill and Linda

Thanks Nuts
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38D
1962 BelAir 409/409
Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2016, 02:44 PM   #2
Freightliner Owners Club
Oxygen is not flammable but it will support combustion. You can use the stove and the oven. She should run the cannula over the ears and behind her when near the stove. (Run the fan). It is not recommended to use electric blankets, O2 can concentrate under the covers and the control unit can spark as it cycles.
We used a ceramic heater but not right next to the bed, and left a vent slightly open. No smoking in the RV..
Concentrators usually require 115 volts, they will run on the inverter if it has enough power (watts) and almost always it has to have a full sine wave output. The modified sine wave does not do well with electronics or motors.
Whoever supplies your equipment will probably also provide a portable O2 bottle and a demand regulator that will give a few hours of 02 for walking around, shopping etc.
There are small portable 12 volt or battery powered concentrators on the market but they are not usually covered by insurance
We eventually purchased a Sequal Eclipse concentrator, operates on 115volt, 12vdc and on it's on internal battery,very convenient. There are many units with these features. Really shop carefully, new equipment is available for about 1/3 less than MSRP.

Hope this helps

Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:54 PM   #3

I don't have tanks. However I do use an oxygen concentrator as part of my Apnea treatment. I don't do anything special about it. It is at a 2 liter flow so it is very minimal.
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:56 PM   #4
X2 Hooligan! Oxygen is not flammable despite seeing signs in hospitals and elsewhere to the contrary. To be otherwise would mean the air you breath will burn too. Oxygen is a oxidizer, which means it will increase the burn rate of an already burning material. Even OSHA fails on the side of ignorance.
That does not mean an oxygen user can ignore warnings. It's all in that NFPA website.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:11 PM   #5
My DW uses oxygen. We carry a light duty concentrator that she plugs in at night and runs the hose to the bedroom. We also carry several "B" cylinders that she uses when out and about. We have traveled this way for 15 years with no problems whatsoever.
2005 Fleetwood Excursion 39L, 350 Cat, Allison 3000, 1991 Honda Accord EX
jmcannonball is offline   Reply With Quote

generator, tank, travel