Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Is it OK to travel with the propane running your fridge?
Yes 95 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
I guess I'm a miracle kid. When I was a teen I worked as a gas jockey at our local ESSO station and myself and all the other jockeys would smoke while pumping the gas; but it was OK because 95% of the customers in the cars we were fueling were smoking.

I guess it wasn't dangerous back then because the term Net nanny hadn't been invented yet!

Yup, guess you were lucky. I pumped in the 50's and 60's, never smoked at the pump, and requested customers to put them out, as I recall no-one ever fussed about that. However; I did run with scissors, once, well kinda they didn't trust me with pointed ones .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #30

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapfoot View Post
I thought that was the idea behind the auto setting on the refrig. When unplugged from shore power and traveling or boondocking or staying in walmarts, the refrig. continues to keep your food frozen or cold.
That is correct, when on auto if electricity is available the frig switches to that automatically. When not plugged in it switches to propane automatically.

I always travel with propane on.

Glenn

Old 10-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02
The amient air temp does not need to be 125F any surface at or above 125f that contacts the diesel will create the ignitable vapor, At that point any ignition source will touch it off. Think about when you squirt lighter fuild (high flash point FL) onto your hot charcol. Many times it will emitt white vapor cloud and no flame. Then toss in a match....whooooof. The high flash point relitively stabe lighter fuild was preheated and turned to the flammable vapor. Granted Diesel is a higher flash point then lighter fluid but trust me it does happen..been there. Be safe my freinds.
I would think the locals that would have conditions conducive to diesel performing like that would be slim, now venting propane tanks.... that I have seen.... along with a chief looking for a fire truck to extinguish the fire.... that was 1 of two times I stayed back from the scene.
The other was natural gas leak. EMTs are suppose to pick people up not be picked up.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx
If you are filling a Diesel vehicle there is still gas customers in the general area, so no free pass there either.
In my case, the one I usually use, has a store with wiring that is not explosion resistant between me and the gas pumps.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #33

Quote:
I guess I'm a miracle kid. When I was a teen I worked as a gas jockey at our local ESSO station and myself and all the other jockeys would smoke while pumping the gas; but it was OK because 95% of the customers in the cars we were fueling were smoking.

I guess it wasn't dangerous back then because the term Net nanny hadn't been invented yet!
A little off the topic but,
I too worked in an Esso station in Calgary and every night for years the floor was washed down with Varsol which is (or was at the time) an approved cleaning fluid. After the floor was cleaned with Varsol, they would hose it down with hot water. Looked real nice in the .
Well, one night the vapors crept into the furnace and BOOM. Both front service bay doors landed out at the gas pumps and the two employees ended up in the hospital burn ward.
Be aware of Open Flame and Vapors. It's that one time out of a thousand that can really ruin your day and maybe even others around you.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #34

I guess as long as gas stations don't blow up because you didn't turn off your propane while under their roofs, its o.k to burn Chances are if you do blow up,no problem, they can blame another source, you're too dead to care.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
I hope I'm not making a wrong assumption. I too leave mine on auto while traveling but when I plug it in at the CG I still leave it on auto. I just figured it would automatically switch over to electric. You mean I have to manually switch it over from auto to electric otherwise it will still run on propane? I don't want it to run on propane while at the CG. I'd rather it used electric while there. So I have to make the switch manually?
If your refrigerator has AUTO - It will switch to electric when hooked up and switch to propane when electric isn't available. At least, that's what ours does
Old 10-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MD View Post
I guess as long as gas stations don't blow up because you didn't turn off your propane while under their roofs, its o.k to burn Chances are if you do blow up,no problem, they can blame another source, you're too dead to care.
Good point Wayne, Problem is, I still have a bunch of fishing and golfing that needs to get done. Hence, I sorta like to pay attention to things that might have a bearing on me getting these Critical Tasks taken care of.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #37

OK, I do not know how serious I am about this on because I do what I want, but food for thought.
A bit of a derivation but generally the same...
On a toy hauler when you pump gas (from the hauler)... should your fridge/heater be off? They also but that spark center (RV power pedestal when we are not dry/boon docking) on the same side as the gas pump....
....hmmmmm
Old 10-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
We keep the refer on "Auto", gas when traveling, elect. when parked.
I have never turned off the valve on the propane tank since I bought the MH.
And I don't turn off any applinaces when I fuel up, if you don't like that,
don't park near me....

could you put a sign on the side of your rv so I can make sure to not be in the same gas station as you?
Old 10-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile

Quote:

you should play the lottery. you seem to be pretty lucky
Old 10-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
could you put a sign on the side of your rv so I can make sure to not be in the same gas station as you?

His is the Charcoal colored one with the flame job.

Sorry, Devil got into me
Old 10-09-2012, 02:21 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post

No problem spotting me, I'm the one laughing at everyone that's running around
turning off all their appliances.....

Possum,

Net Nanny.... That's a good one.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:06 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
The Auto setting typically switches back and forth between propane and 120VAC without human intervention. If 120VAC is available, the fridge will use it. If not, it will switch over to propane. When you arrive at the campground and plug into shore power, it will switch back to 120VAC.

Rusty
Thanks Rusty. I sort of thought that is what the Auto setting was for but then I was a little confused there.
I'll just continue to keep it on Auto then.

Tags
propane