Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Traveling with Toddler

When traveling with a two year old in a motorhome, are they required to sit in their toddler carseats or can they use the seat belts that are on the sofa?

PDGotro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #2

Like any other motor vehicle they need to be safely secured.

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Where the cat rides

Lilly, the mostly Maine Coon Cat that goes on our trips always rides in (what she believes to be) the safest place - inside the metal frame of the recliner!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lillys_place.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	40103  
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:00 AM   #4

You really should be using the carseat- the seat belts designed for adult size bodies will do more harm than good to a kid in a collision.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
I agree completely. Child restraint seats are best but they need to be placed furniture that has seat belts to anchor the child-seat.

We use a harness and leash for Cat:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lilly_boarding_RV.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	40148  
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #6

Our 4yr old granddaughter has been traveling with us for the past 2 yrs, and I've have wanted to ask the car seat questions for awhile now, but I already know the answer, It's still a moving vehicle and in the eyes of the law, a car seat is required. That being said, I'll admit our grand daughter has full run of the motor home and the car seat is usually in the dingy. She's learned to stay clear of the door steps, and get upset when her papa makes a sharp turn without warning.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #7

Child seat, properly secured. How is this even a question? Safety of the child comes first.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVluvin View Post
Our 4yr old granddaughter has been traveling with us for the past 2 yrs, and I've have wanted to ask the car seat questions for awhile now, but I already know the answer, It's still a moving vehicle and in the eyes of the law, a car seat is required. That being said, I'll admit our grand daughter has full run of the motor home and the car seat is usually in the dingy. She's learned to stay clear of the door steps, and get upset when her papa makes a sharp turn without warning.
When her Papa has to do a full on emergency stop and she bounces off the windshield you'll wish she had been in a secure car seat.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Take a look at the seat belts info. There are some that are there but are not rated for actually working like a seat belt should so basically what that means is that you can put a car seat there but it will not do much more than well nothing. Make sure the place you want to put it is rated to hold it there like it's supposed to.

EDIT: But you can do something like this to make things safer if you want to http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/rv-seat-belts.html OR https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/
Old 06-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
Take a look at the seat belts info. There are some that are there but are not rated for actually working like a seat belt should so basically what that means is that you can put a car seat there but it will not do much more than well nothing. Make sure the place you want to put it is rated to hold it there like it's supposed to.

EDIT: But you can do something like this to make things safer if you want to Motorhome / RV Seat BeltsOR https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/

Now that looks like a great Idea. Never should a child be allowed to wonder around in a moving vehicle. As an adult, you can make up your own mind as to what you do, but I would not want to be the adult that had their grandchild injured or worse because of my dumb thinking.
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does your motor home have a forward facing seat other than the front passenger seat?
If it does that may be the best seat for your grandchild.
Does your car seat have its own harness ?
Does it have an tether strap?
When my youngest was two, his car seat had them. I use the seats harness to hold him and my rv's lap belt to hold his car seat.
Now that he and his brother are older (5&8) I have them in high back booster seats with lap belts.
The eight year old complains about using his booster seat but stopped when I had him read the seat belt law for my province.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #12

Most municipal fire and police departments have a child safety officer who is trained in proper use and education about car seats. They will give a free inspection and tips on how to properly secure the seat (and kid).