Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2016, 03:04 PM   #1

Travelling with my dog to Alaska

Hi all
I'm new to this forum.
We have been RV'ing for about 3 years, generally taking two 2 month trips a year, plus several shorter trips. This summer we went to the Canadian Rockies.
We're planning a 2 month (or maybe a little longer) trip from SF area to Alaska and return next Spring/Summer.
We always take our pal Riley a 5 y/o 16 pound Jack Russell Terrier.
We often take him on hikes off leash. He is in good shape, can easily do a 8 mile hike (he makes it 24 miles), loves jumping in the water, and is very responsive to my voice commands. He also never gets out of sight. He is very friendly, not aggressive (I know, everyone says this about their dog)
Our Prism MH has an a/c, but I hate to leave him home, as he provides much of the fun we have. He even goes kayaking and biking with us, and to restaurants that will allow him.
So, I'm looking for advice, especially from others who have done this. I'm concerned about bears, rangers, etc. Also, advice on particularly wonderful places to go, and resources (books, blogs, etc.)
Thanks very much in advance.
jeffrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2016, 03:09 PM   #2

Buy a good halter and 6' leash and USE it!

Get ALL of his records and carry them with you.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:12 PM   #3

Naturally, there are many dogs in Alaska (sled dogs). Travelers bring their's, also. However, I would not recommend that your dog run off leash in bear/moose country. They could definitely agitate another animal by barking or just scaring one up. When you're in any area, especially national parks, be sure to read the restrictions, if any.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:00 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We went to Alaska in 2009 with 4 dogs (Pekingese). They were always walked on a leash. The weather was cooler so we didn't have to worry too much about heat/AC. My wife keeps ice blocks in the freezer and puts one in with each dog as needed, they know to lay on them when they are hot.

She had the dogs current vaccinations and Dr letter of good health.

The last night we were in Alaska traveling south we took the dogs for short walk and came up on some fresh bear tracks. We headed back to the motorhome and the dogs stayed inside the rest of the time. My wife have them trained to use Pee-Pee pads so it wasn't a big inconvenience.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:24 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Smile

We are going in a caravan to Alaska next summer. There will be several day trips which will leave us away from the motorhome for several hours. I found a website, Rover.com. It supplies different dog sitters and walkers throughout Alaska. The description of each person includes reviews. You could consider this for any long days you may also have away.
diva51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:28 PM   #6

jeffrapp What route are you taking through BC?
Canarado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:30 PM   #7

I have a 2 year old pit/boxer mix and take her where I go period. However if you're concerned about rangers you're probably breaking the rules, if the dog is not allowed don't do it.
easywind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:30 AM   #8

I have a lab that does very well off leash while on trails or anywhere, but I keep him on leash because that is what I expect from other dog owners.
Brad W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:44 AM   #9

I would leave the dogs on leash. Many of the campgrounds we stayed at had bear warnings. We did not travel with a pet but we saw lots of them with fellow Rvers.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:48 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Spend this past summer in Alaska. Unless your in Denali at one of their National Park campgrounds where pet rules might be more followed, I really didn't see many rangers. Fact saw far more Moose than law enforcement personal. We stayed at many state, provincial, BLM and forest service campgrounds.

Problem is what will your dog do when he see's a Moose or Bear? AK. Pics (Facebook)

Not many ground animals except squirrels. Lots of then climbing to the top of pine trees and dropping pine cones to pick up later.

Did have a few Moose that I didn't see right away. For a large animal they are sneaky.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarado View Post
jeffrapp What route are you taking through BC?
Haven't got that far yet.
R U going too?

Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions.
jeffrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:24 PM   #12

Bring the four legged kid to Alaska and enjoy your time here! We travel with Labs all of the time, even taking 6-8 week trips to the lower 48! When out hiking and enjoying the outdoors, I allow our to be off leash, unless there are other people on the trail. I also carry bags to clean up after they have done their business someplace. It is just the thing to do. We have left ours in the MH for several hours without any issues , if they can not go with us.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:54 PM   #13

This really isn't the right site for me to go into a rant, but I can't help but at least put out a word of caution to dog owners reading this thread.

Please remember other owners, who are walking their dogs on a leash, may not have a dog that gets along well with other dogs.

They are being responsible by controlling their dog, but an off leash dog that rushes up to say hello can end in a tense situation at best. Worst case is a child or another adult could get caught up in the melee and get hurt, or one of the dogs could get hurt.

I speak of this from experience.
Brad W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:32 PM   #14

My rule hiking is if the people approachin have a dog on leash or no dog I put my pair on leash.
Otherwise they are free to explore.
GBRG07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel