Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2016, 01:00 AM   #15
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
My laptop is out for repair, so I'm forced to use my wife's old IPad which I hate. If I had mine I would post a photo of the trees we dealt with last week. We were camping with six other RVs at Pismo Coast Village RV park in Pismo California. On Sunday evening we were discussing how two large Monterey pines had fallen and crushed two trailers at the campground just two months earlier. We were supposed to get a huge storm that night.

It started raining hard at midnight. About 3:30am, there was a loud crash. I had fallen asleep in my recliner at the time. My wife came out of the bedroom and asked what was going on. A few minutes later I heard a couple of large branches hit our coach and then the phone rang. Our friends were camped next to us and a 70' pine had fallen and pinned their door shut. I keep a small pruning saw and pole saw in my coach. I had to cut about eight two inch diameter branches away to free them from the front door of their 40' Monaco Camelot. What we didn't know was this 70' pine crushed the 26' TT next to them. The 30" diameter trunk had crushed the center of the TT down to the frame. Luckily, the couple in the TT escaped with just glass in the husband's foot.

Across the street and down two campsites, another 70' tree crushed a 30' TT in half.....dead center. The owner had gotten up to use the bathroom and just walked back to bed when the tree crushed the bathroom to the frame.

Five other RVs were damaged. Our friends Camelot took the brunt of the blow to their main awning where the arm meets the roller. It destroyed both A/C covers, three roof vents, solar panel, all four awning toppers, one awning topper set of brackets and the main awning.

These trees are what the park is known for, huge Monterey pines with beautiful canopies, probably about 60-70 years old. The issue with the trees is that the salt water water table is so high, because the park is about 100 yards from the beach, that they don't root more than about three feet deep.

This is now the second time in two months that the trees have completely crushed a total of four RVs. I think the park will need to severely trim or remove the rest of the trees or they'll be liable next time one falls.

Holy cow Don,
That is bad. I've spent a great deal of time in Tennessee, and the big Bull pines are the same way. If there's a lot of rain in the higher elevations where limestone is abundant, sometimes those tall trees can fall easy. They don't root that deep either, and some grow slanted anyway because of the lay of the land. It can be quite worrisome.
Sure glad to hear those folks near and next to you made it without getting hurt bad or worse. If what you described continues in your location, I fear greatly the luck on that may run out. God forbid.

Prayers for all to stay safe.

P.S.- I enjoy all of your mods and expertise.

Best regards,
W.D.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2016, 12:02 PM   #16
IC2

It seems that about every year in one of the NY State CGs someone is either injured or killed when one of those 'sacred' ADK trees comes down on a trailer or tent. The Adirondack Park Agency is not always a camper's best friend (nor any one elses for that matter)

If we had left a huge willow and a 24" maple in place, there would have been no way for me to back our 38 foot 5er using my 24 foot long TV into our driveway. I also had to remove a mock cherry - but that didn't bother me as it was a messy tree with those little but useless fruits.

As far as CGs, I have been known to remove a branch or two

Old 03-16-2016, 01:42 PM   #17

Wow Don. That must have been a harrowing experience. Did it do much damage to your coach?
Seems like a lot of folks lucked out by not getting injured or worse.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:07 PM   #18

Wow Don what a story. We stayed there the last week of February and had the best weather we have had in years. When we checked in we asked for a spot with no trees and they gave us one( we ask every time), but the funny thing is they told us all the trees are trimmed and there's never a problem with the trees. They were actually trimming trees the day we left, March 1st. Glad to hear everyone is ok and nobody get hurt, even though that would kill me to see my RV crushed.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:37 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
On many occasions, I have stopped backing into a spot, stopped, gotten out the ladder and saw, cut down several offending limbs, gotten back in a parked. Some owners don't care, others have said I had no business cutting their limbs. Don't really care, I sure don't want my coach dinged because of a few limbs.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:18 PM   #20
IC2

I neglected to say above that our 5er has a small Eternabond patch on the roof side due to a CG not doing a good job of trimming (along with my senior moment of not looking well enough up high)
Old 03-16-2016, 10:31 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In California the State Parks do a terrible job of maintain things including the trees. In order to keep from tearing up my Motorhome, I have no problem throwing a rope over the offending limb and exercising it from the area. Damn Wind
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:42 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I cut back two trees to the entrance of our driveway only a pickup could get thru. Had to do it again when we bought a taller A. Been in two northern state park sites, branches were low. Before I left they weren't. I carry a hand tree saw. Many scratches on first 2 RV's. We look up more often now.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:16 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
And don't forget about the residential streets. The street I live on has one hanging down and if I don't get over on the other side of the road I hit it. It seems like nearly everyone forgets about their trees after they grow.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:41 PM   #24

We carry equipment to trim trees. We only trim what is needed, we do not destroy the tree. We were in one state park in Iowa an.d asked about tree trimming and the park manager told us to trim as much as we wanted and they would clean up the mess. They had a serious water/pumping station issue that took all their manpower and budget and they were happy to have us trim trees since they could not. We try to be discrete and ask if anyone is available but we will not allow trees to damage our RV.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:30 AM   #25
IC2

Looking out for 'things' that damage your RV - there are a couple items you cannot trim - low hanging power and cable company lines, both of which in my neighborhood have caused me the most expense - a TV antenna and two hatch covers and a gouge in the a/c cover. One of those wires is directly in front of my house and in hot weather, I found, hangs even lower. I've had the power and cable companies out and they have been somewhat adjusted but those are long spans and only so much can be done
Old 03-18-2016, 07:00 PM   #26
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I got my laptop back and could finally post some pictures from Pismo Cost RV Village. The first photo is the tree that fell onto a trailer and then onto our friends Camelot. We had to cut branches to get them out. The vacant space to the right is where we WERE parked and moved.

This is the other trailer. The owner had just used the bathroom in the middle of the coach and walked back to bed. Two RV's destroyed, and five damaged.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:13 PM   #27

Wow, I'll never feel the same again in that park. What Campsite number were you guys in. That looks close to where we stayed last time. I'll have to continue asking for the spots with no trees.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:28 PM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm betting they will be topping all the big trees by at least half before the month is over. They can't afford to have it happen a third time.....they would be liable.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote