Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-19-2016, 09:38 PM   #29
Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I'm betting they will be topping all the big trees by at least half before the month is over. They can't afford to have it happen a third time.....they would be liable.
Hi Don,
When exactly does a park become liable? Why not now? I'm just curious, I mean, does it depend on state specific law or what other variables?

Again, sure glad everyone got through that alive. Sure sorry to see that destruction, makes for a real bad day.
Best regards,

Electra 225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2016, 08:59 AM   #30
I have a 600' tree-lined driveway and have to trim every year. I once backed into a campground site where the tree limbs were on the roof of my mid-profile fiver and I couldn't raise the antenna. I went on the roof and adjusted the foliage without charge.

2015 F350 XLT PSD CCSB SRW, Andersen Ultimate hitch
'12 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde Pinbox
1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 02:50 PM   #31
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
I'm giving my personal opinion and what we heard while there.......It's not liable because it was an act of God the first time and you must use your own insurance for repair. After the first incident, they trimmed the trees, hired an arborist and did what most would call a responsible repair. Keep in mind these trees are over 60 years old and have not fallen in the past. The trees fell during what they're calling a gustnado (A gustnado is a specific type of short-lived, low-level rotating cloud that can form in a severe thunderstorm). This is a new weather phenomena to the park and area.

With all that said, it appears that after two incidents, even after doing responsible repairs, these trees are now dangerous. I think they won't be free of liability a third time.

Everybody likes to think that someone else is always liable for everything that happens, but it's rarely the case in real life. This can be argued here for hours, but I'm passing on some information that was given to one of the victims (the double door trailer) after the incident (we had him and his wife over for a pot luck after the incident). You also have to realize that no one was injured and the loss was minimal to both insurance companies (under $25K).
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:26 PM   #32
On a smaller note,,, I trimmed 3 of our trees before bringing home our new 5th wheel... NO SCRATCHES !!!! Don't want to make Dad Mad !!!! (thats me) Monkey

And yes, I had her help me watch for oncoming people on our little road up to the house as we need to take the whole road in a couple places.....
Monkey, pilot of a Great Dane hauler,
2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax/Alison 4x4 CrewCab 2016 Cougar 28SGS
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:47 AM   #33
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have trimmed trees on our residential street to keep from hitting low lying limbs on my way out of the sub.
Ole and Anne Anderson, Highland, Michigan
'02 Adventurer 32V, Ford F-53, ours since 4/08,Goodyears, Konis, SeeLevel, CHF
'84 CJ-7 , 5.3 Chevy, 3" lift, 33's, Detroit Locker, Fiberglas tub, winch, hi-lift
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:59 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
We had 3 large Evergreens that run along our driveway trimmed in order to pull the MH into the drive. May have them removed if we don't go FT..
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:08 AM   #35
Monaco Owners Club
One can see how shallow the roots system is in your photos Don. Sanford PS Thanks for the heads up and glad NO one was killed.

Sanford, Linda & R cats: Molly, Levi, Cody
2011 Monaco by Navistar RV
Good Sam Life Member Good Sam Hams Chapter
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote