Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-15-2016, 04:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Tree trimming

How many trees have you trimmed to get your MH into a campground or to park at home?

norcal01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2016, 05:26 PM   #2
When we bought ours I had to trim two trees to park it where we wanted it to be. Since then I have taken down both trees as well as two other trees, so they don't make a mess on the MH. Now I can wash/wax it and even if it rains it doesn't get dirty or waterspots due to all the dust the trees leave.

Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:39 PM   #3
I own a campground, located in the pines. Before we open every year, we send a crew out to trim up the trees. We congratulate ourselves on how nice it looks and move on to other tasks. Within a few weeks, we have to do it again. It's a never ending task. Those trees have a way of driving us crazy. We have 43 acres of trees to trim but love everyone of them. It's what makes our park what it is and gives it it's ambiance.
mrebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:44 PM   #4
I camp at a buddy's land on a river during the summer and leave my camper there all summer. It has about a half mile private drive leading back to it lined with pines. We have to trim our way in every year. That last half mile of the trip takes forever
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:46 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One pesky tree near the entry to our property just last weekend when heading out for a few days, it reminded me as it scraped along the roof, that it's time to trim it again.

In the process of building a RV port. Removed one large pine tree and large shrub to make room.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:53 PM   #6
Tree tree tree

JIM THORPE CAMPGROUNDS in Jim Thorpe Pa, is in need of a tree make over. If you ever go there be extra careful.
Last fall I took out our awning with one of their tree's while trying to get to the site, and with the owner's help getting in.
04 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:57 PM   #7
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Removed a declining Maple to expand the driveway at home. Did some minor trimming at a camp ground once, after asking first.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:49 PM   #8
I have a buddy who is a tree trimmer and one of his favorite sayings is "On a good clear cut day you can see forever".

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.
Happy Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:56 PM   #9
Solo Rvers Club
At home it is my property. I do what is necessary.

At a campground I would never touch a tree without permission. Old scout rules and I never was a Boy Scout.
2011 Four Winds Chateau 28A
Ford E350
2012 Honda CRV
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:02 PM   #10
I took out two pines and about 3 big trailer loads of brush, then cleaned up another half dozen or so trees. But when you have an excavator it makes life easy.

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Focus Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:44 PM   #11
Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
It's hard for me to even trim a tree here in Western Ok.!!
mwwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:35 PM   #12
One Campground we stayed in we couldn't get into because the trees were too overgrown and we asked for another spot. The Ranger came over and trimmed the trees so we could fit in. He apologized and said they were running behind for the season and had missed that spot. It only took him about 20 minutes, and once done other than the fact we fit and could open our slides you would have never known the difference.
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:01 PM   #13
We've also had small limbs overhanging a site. We always asked permission to trim them and the rangers readily agreed - most often it was trimmed for us. As volunteers in parks we also did our share of trimming. The public parks try to keep up with it but it's a never-ending job.

In national parks you definitely need to ask because they're all about preservation. If you start sawing on the trees you'll hear about it. If it's a safety issue or it will scrape your RV, then they'll trim it. That's what we've found.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:56 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
My laptop is out for repair, so I'm forced to use my wife's old IPad which I hate. If I had mine I would post a photo of the trees we dealt with last week. We were camping with six other RVs at Pismo Coast Village RV park in Pismo California. On Sunday evening we were discussing how two large Monterey pines had fallen and crushed two trailers at the campground just two months earlier. We were supposed to get a huge storm that night.

It started raining hard at midnight. About 3:30am, there was a loud crash. I had fallen asleep in my recliner at the time. My wife came out of the bedroom and asked what was going on. A few minutes later I heard a couple of large branches hit our coach and then the phone rang. Our friends were camped next to us and a 70' pine had fallen and pinned their door shut. I keep a small pruning saw and pole saw in my coach. I had to cut about eight two inch diameter branches away to free them from the front door of their 40' Monaco Camelot. What we didn't know was this 70' pine crushed the 26' TT next to them. The 30" diameter trunk had crushed the center of the TT down to the frame. Luckily, the couple in the TT escaped with just glass in the husband's foot.

Across the street and down two campsites, another 70' tree crushed a 30' TT in half.....dead center. The owner had gotten up to use the bathroom and just walked back to bed when the tree crushed the bathroom to the frame.

Five other RVs were damaged. Our friends Camelot took the brunt of the blow to their main awning where the arm meets the roller. It destroyed both A/C covers, three roof vents, solar panel, all four awning toppers, one awning topper set of brackets and the main awning.

These trees are what the park is known for, huge Monterey pines with beautiful canopies, probably about 60-70 years old. The issue with the trees is that the salt water water table is so high, because the park is about 100 yards from the beach, that they don't root more than about three feet deep.

This is now the second time in two months that the trees have completely crushed a total of four RVs. I think the park will need to severely trim or remove the rest of the trees or they'll be liable next time one falls.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote