Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-05-2016, 05:55 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by markfrid View Post
One last thing - Mr. lynnmor, why do you say I should disconnect the battery when not using the trailer? Are there systems in the trailer that drain power even when everything is off? Or some other reason? Thanks -

Mark
There are always some small loads on the battery that will slowly discharge it. The LP/CO2 detector, TV and radio are some. It is best to keep the battery fully charged, so disconnecting it whenever the trailer is not connected to external power is best. I installed a Blue Sea brand switch, those cheap ones with the big red key will fail.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/cat...Circuit_ON-OFF
__________________

__________________
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2016, 07:21 AM   #16
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by markfrid View Post
why do you say I should disconnect the battery when not using the trailer? Are there systems in the trailer that drain power even when everything is off? Or some other reason? Thanks -
Mark
markfrid
While it does no harm to disconnect the battery when not using the trailer
it should not be necessary if you make sure everything 12V in/on the trailer is UNPLUGGED and/or turned OFF when you park it.
__________________

__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:42 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 350
Not true. There's always parasitic drain. Radio, carbon monoxide detector are two things that come to mind. They never turn off. While draw is small they will drain a battery dead.
__________________
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:13 AM   #18
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
Not true. There's always parasitic drain. Radio, carbon monoxide detector are two things that come to mind. They never turn off. While draw is small they will drain a battery dead.
dustyone
True.
However if every parasitic battery draw, (including the CO detector and the radio), is eliminated there will be NO parasitic battery draws and NO reason to disconnect the battery(s).
Mel
'96 Safari, (with every parasitic draw eliminated when in storage).
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:16 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
dustyone
True.
However if every parasitic battery draw, (including the CO detector and the radio), is eliminated there will be NO parasitic battery draws and NO reason to disconnect the battery(s).
Mel
'96 Safari, (with every parasitic draw eliminated when in storage).
By code, the CO detector is hard wired without a switch. Disconnect the battery!
__________________
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:48 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 350
I'm aware of that. ...Dusty
__________________
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:28 AM   #21
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
By code, the CO detector is hard wired without a switch. Disconnect the battery!
I "broke that code" and put an on/of switch in the power wire to the my CO detector... plus I added a 2nd CO detector which is powered by a 9 V battery.
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:51 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
I "broke that code" and put an on/of switch in the power wire to the my CO detector... plus I added a 2nd CO detector which is powered by a 9 V battery.
OK, now I will go to confession as well. I added a switch after being annoyed too many times.

Another sin I am guilty of is putting a switch on the smoke detector. The simpletons that built the unit placed the detector only two feet back from the stove.
__________________
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:59 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 350
I know me. I would be afraid that I may forget to turn them back on. I would never want to suggest something that may cause an adverse effect on someone. Put a cut off on battery. Simple and easy fix. Your safer thi way. Easy to do. ....Dusty
__________________
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:00 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 350
Enough said. Dusty
__________________

__________________
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Southwind Trickle Charger Ottawa Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 3 05-04-2009 05:54 AM
"Trickle" Charger golden RV Systems & Appliances 1 04-17-2009 05:43 PM
Trickle Charger (NOT) Paul T Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 10 04-01-2009 04:41 PM
5-Watt Solar Trickle Charger Y-Guy Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 11 11-02-2008 10:21 AM
Trickle Charger Gaetan Lavoie MH-General Discussions & Problems 7 04-02-2005 06:41 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.