Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I heard that Flying J has added the pay at the pump feature to the truck island now. Anyone know if this is true?
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
The total length of my MH and toad is about 60 feet. There's just not enough room to get in and out at most locations.
Mine is the same size,as I get towards a 1/2 tank I look for regular stations.Many of these now have 10-12 pumps with diesel on the ends and some have good access. I have not had to use a truck stop in most of my travels.Stations are usually cheaper.Even the station I use at my home town is a regular station.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #17

I am 53 ft and get in any station okay. How can 7 feet make a diff? 99% of the time it is an end pump island.

Also, I beat P/FJ and T/A by at least 9-11 cents at adjacent high-end stations and get my CC cash-back too. A win!

Okay, I will let you alone now, as this thread topic has been very well flagellated over time.

Happy trails!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My RV is gas so I can't use the truck lanes. I use Costco stations as much as possible, usually the lowest price and I have no trouble navigating their islands. The only problem I have at the Flying J RV islands is waiting for the guys in their cars who use the RV lanes and then go inside to shop or eat, leaving the car at the pumps.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
No, I don't have a Flying J card. I will check that out! Thanks!
Do so, it gets you the 3 cent discount AND the cash price instead of CC price.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
We agree with Stealth01, some flying J's ok, others- no way, especially if the trucker next to you pulls forward and goes in to grab lunch. Perhaps the "big rigs best bets" authors could expand on their reviews of fuel stops. We make notes in our truckers atlas of places we liked and didn't like, and on new routes we start looking when we reach 1/2 half tank.

I believe you're thinking of the truckers pumps out back. Remember that's where you can't use a personal credit card to pay at the pump.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #21

I am not sure what the OP was referring to when he said a negative was "no hose to rinse the front off" ? Was this a fuel pump line or was he in line to wash the coach ?
Old 11-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
I am not sure what the OP was referring to when he said a negative was "no hose to rinse the front off" ? Was this a fuel pump line or was he in line to wash the coach ?

Don, I was referring to the water hose to use on the front of the MH to rinse it off after using the bucket and brush to get the bugs off. They usually have those at the truck pumps and it's nice to have.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:23 AM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
I heard that Flying J has added the pay at the pump feature to the truck island now. Anyone know if this is true?
They've had the pay-at-the-pump at the truck islands for a long time, but you have to use a commercial fleet credit card. They won't accept personal credit cards. This is correct unless they have just changed.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #24

To the OP: If you can beat P/FJ and T/A at adjacent, easy entry, high-end stations and get CC cash-back too, why not? The new stations are really worth a look. Improvements even in the last year have been substantial.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #25
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
To the OP: If you can beat P/FJ and T/A at adjacent, easy entry, high-end stations and get CC cash-back too, why not? The new stations are really worth a look. Improvements even in the last year have been substantial.
We just got back from a trip to NC and I looked at several stations along the way before ending up at the Flying J. Some of them had high canopies with diesel pumps on the end that would allow me to pull in to the pump OK, but there would have been problems getting out. Guess I just haven't found the right places.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #26

We are getting ready to head for Florida for the 5th year since retirement! The part I dread is stopping for gas. I wish the Flying J CEO would go undercover with a RV and stop at their Flying J's for fuel!

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
I am not sure what the OP was referring to when he said a negative was "no hose to rinse the front off" ?
Flying J RV islands also have a dump station, propane available and water faucets. One faucet is potable the other not so much.. On our recent trip the FJ in Hope Hull,AL had a short hose on the good faucet when outbound, not there on return trip. (Someone must have needed a hose) The windshield fluid they use is very soapy during lovebug season and the hose is handy to rinse the windshield.
I regularly use FJ, RV island is convenient, after fueling good parking area for lunch and walk the dogs etc.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I am 53 ft and get in any station okay. How can 7 feet make a diff? 99% of the time it is an end pump island.

Also, I beat P/FJ and T/A by at least 9-11 cents at adjacent high-end stations and get my CC cash-back too. A win!

Okay, I will let you alone now, as this thread topic has been very well flagellated over time.

Happy trails!
What "high-end" stations are you referring to? Personally, I prefer truck stops that sell a lot of diesel. Even if it's a little higher priced, it (generally) won't have water and algae in it (they test their tanks for contaminates every day at the local Jubitz truck stop where I fuel up in Portland). It's cheaper than the repair costs of breaking down in the boondocks cos the fuel filters need to be replaced!
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote