Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2013, 04:59 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
I use a personal Visa credit card at the Truck lane. In order for it not to have a shutoff limit, I go in and ask them to pre-approve me for $400 at that pump. Then I go out and pump $300, go in and get the receipt. I do this at Pilots, Loves, etc.

But, I don't like the fast feed large nozzles, they always shut off at half fill and I have to nurse the last 25 gallons in. So I'd rather fill with the smaller nozzle pump.

Pat
patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 05:04 AM   #44

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use Flying J's with RV lanes wherever they are available. We got the PFJ charge card and and set up auto pay from checking so we have a $2,500 monthly limit and no cutoff at the pump. We are 58 feet overall, and I've yet to find an RV lane that I couldn't get in and out of.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:14 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmsp View Post
I use a personal Visa credit card at the Truck lane. In order for it not to have a shutoff limit, I go in and ask them to pre-approve me for $400 at that pump. Then I go out and pump $300, go in and get the receipt. I do this at Pilots, Loves, etc.

But, I don't like the fast feed large nozzles, they always shut off at half fill and I have to nurse the last 25 gallons in. So I'd rather fill with the smaller nozzle pump.

Pat
Get the free PFJ RV fuel card the next time you go in. It will let you pay at the pump with no shutoff.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #46
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

Pat
With the PFJ pump start card you don't have to go in the first time to prepay and there is no limit. When finished you go in and pay with your personal CC.

All pumps, even the RV pumps that pump diesel, have a large amount of foam build up in the tank when filling. It doesn't take to long for it to subside. The faster you pump the more foam you will have and it will shut the pump handle off. So I always use the first click on the truck pump and when it cuts off I wait just a little bit then pump by hand very slow like the same thing in topping off a gas tank. I always get a full tank.

Just-a-sayin'.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
It just seems like some people love to hate FJ for some reason. I think they do well for RVers in general and all you need is their no cost card to make fueling quick and easy. I totally refuse to let any place hold my CC while I fill up.
There is no love nor hate between me any any fuel retailer.

I am able to easily get in and out of standard pump islands (as do 45 foot rigs with toads and big 5-ers) and FJ is still 12c higher than the competition here in Tucson, $3.77 vs $3.65. At $3.65, my 5% CC discount sure blows away the bottom line at FJ.

10 to 12c higher was true from PA to AZ this Fall, and still true here, so....
It is simply the price!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #48
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Yes you can. I do it all the time as my rig rarely fits the RV island and the pumps take forever. Swipe your 5% off credit card then swipe your FJ RV card. Pump will start without going inside and have the $400 limit. It also works with DEF.
The only down side is that the fuel is usually more at the real truck pumps.

Are you saying that if you use the Flying J RV card along with a personal credit card that you can pay at the pump at the TRUCKERS pumps?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #49
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Pat
Pat, that's what I have been doing, but if you go in and pay you don't get the PenFed 5% rebate!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #50

Freightliner Owners Club
Joe- My understanding is if your have the Flying J Rewards card it will start the truck pumps unlimited and you pay inside after fueling. If you have the PilotFlyingJ RV Plus card which is their credit card you can start and pay at the Truck and RV pumps. In either case your PenFed discount would not apply...
At RV island, Rewards card and PENFED would get both discounts..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #51

Rexhall Owners Group
I drive a 35 ft gas coach towing a car so we are about 55ft or so total. We use the Pilot Travel guide to identify which stations have RV lanes, and try to plan our stops around those. The RV lane pumps are set back enough to allow egress without too much problem. We have the PfJ RV card to save the few cents, but the ease of ingress/egress is the ruling factor.

Being a trusting soul, I used to leave my card with the cashier to fill up. However, last year on the way to Florida the number was stolen, and used for fraud/theft. I now have a VISA card with a much higher pump shut off limit, and have not had a problem.

AS another poster mentioned, refueling is my biggest worry driving a gasser. I am very thankful for the Pilot travel guide to help with planning.
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #52

5% cash back. A perspective:

Here in Tucson at FJ, at $3.77 cash back is 19c, bottom line on 100 gallons is $358.

At the standard pump station, at $3.65 cash back is 18c, bottom line on 100 gallons is $347.

And if you fill up only once per week and save $11 per fill, in 7 years you can buy a set of tires.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stano View Post
We are getting ready to head for Florida for the 5th year since retirement! The part I dread is stopping for gas. I wish the Flying J CEO would go undercover with a RV and stop at their Flying J's for fuel!

Stano
Right now he is a tad busy trying to stay out of a Federal Prison for fraud. He got caught cheating his trucking company customers out of millions of dollars in rebates from their large purchases.
Bumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:54 AM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Joe- My understanding is if your have the Flying J Rewards card it will start the truck pumps unlimited and you pay inside after fueling. If you have the PilotFlyingJ RV Plus card which is their credit card you can start and pay at the Truck and RV pumps. In either case your PenFed discount would not apply...
At RV island, Rewards card and PENFED would get both discounts..
My understanding is that at least Flying J has upgraded their truck pumps and they now work the same as the RV pumps. Although you may still not get the cash price like you do at the RV pumps.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
Get the free PFJ RV fuel card the next time you go in. It will let you pay at the pump with no shutoff.
Is this at the 'rv' pump or at the truck islands?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My understanding is you can now use the Truck Pumps also.