Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #57

Freightliner Owners Club
From PFJ website: myRewards - Start The Pump
RV or Regular Auto Lanes:
Insert your credit/debit card first at the pump
  1. (If prompted, enter your credit card billing zip code)
  2. When prompted, insert your rewards card
  3. Select grade of fuel (gas/diesel)
  4. Pump Fuel
  5. When finished fueling, hang up nozzle. Receipt will print at pump and discount details will be on receipt
Truck Diesel Lanes Only:
Insert only your rewards card at the pump to turn on the pump. Do not insert any other card such as a credit or debit card at the pump or the transaction will fail
  1. Select fuel type.
  2. Pump fuel - When finished fueling, hang up nozzle and pull forward.
  3. Go inside and see cashier for payment
  4. Even if paying with credit/debit card still receive cash price and $.03 discount*

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #58

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I fueled at the diesel pumps at three separate Pilots on the way to Florida this year. The Pilots did not have a separate RV Island so I was forced to use the Truck lanes. In each case I inserted my RV Plus card, got my $.08 per gallon discount (Good Sam Life Member) off the cash price right at the pump. I was told at one station that my RV Plus card was also a My Rewards Card (my RV Rewards card had cracked while in my wallet) so I did not need another My Rewards card.

The only station I fueled at that had separate RV Islands were a Flying J station, which I also used the above procedure to pay for my diesel.

In addition I used this same procedure at the gas pumps at Pilot to fuel my toad. There is a Pilot approx. 1/2 mile from the RV Resort we are staying at this winter. The discount is $.06 per gallon for gas (again GS Life Member).

I am not sure why the procedure listed in the last post for the Truck Lanes says you have to go inside to pay because I NEVER did. I used the RV Plus card at the pump and never went inside. I was told if I wished to use a credit card other than the RV Plus card I could go inside to get the discount, then pay with a different card.

FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #59

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Isn't the RV Plus card just a charge card for Pilot/Flying J, and not a full credit card such as Visa or Master Charge? I thought I read that somewhere, here in past post, that the card is only good at Pilot/Flying J, and must be paid in full monthly. Maybe that is why it works well with only swiping it at the pump.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Isn't the RV Plus card just a charge card for Pilot/Flying J, and not a full credit card such as Visa or Master Charge? I thought I read that somewhere, here in past post, that the card is only good at Pilot/Flying J, and must be paid in full monthly. Maybe that is why it works well with only swiping it at the pump.
It also gives a discount on the fuel. 8 cents per gallon for a Good Sam's life member on diesel. 6 cents on gas. For other Good Sam's member I believe it is reduced by 2 cents per gallon
HDRoadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRoadking View Post
It also gives a discount on the fuel. 8 cents per gallon for a Good Sam's life member on diesel. 6 cents on gas. For other Good Sam's member I believe it is reduced by 2 cents per gallon
A step in the right direction, for sure. Those discount options will bring your FJ price down to within 4, 6, or 10 cents/gallon of the price down the street.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #62

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I am new to RVing but I have always used the trucker lanes for fueling. I have never had problems with the truckers (and I have asked them) or from the office. I use a regular visa card.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #63

It's great to hear a good word on flying j, so much negative comments about them and pilot lately. I've been using those regular stations as they seem to be the low cost provider lately. and don't charge a higher price for credit card use. I only one time had to separate the tow car.
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #64

[QUOTE=Medico;1795950]I fueled at the diesel pumps at three separate Pilots on the way to Florida this year. The Pilots did not have a separate RV Island so I was forced to use the Truck lanes. In each case I inserted my RV Plus card, got my $.08 per gallon discount (Good Sam Life Member) off the cash price right at the pump. I was told at one station that my RV Plus card was also a My Rewards Card (my RV Rewards card had cracked while in my wallet) so I did not need another My Rewards card.
QUOTE]

Just to make sure I understand - Pilot does honor the FJ card?
Thanks
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #65
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Joe- My understanding is if your have the Flying J Rewards card it will start the truck pumps unlimited and you pay inside after fueling. If you have the PilotFlyingJ RV Plus card which is their credit card you can start and pay at the Truck and RV pumps. In either case your PenFed discount would not apply...
At RV island, Rewards card and PENFED would get both discounts..
I'm not familiar with PENFED's policy and discounts and was wondering if it worked the way my VISA works. No matter how I pay for the fuel, when I pay the monthly off I get my discount using my VISA each month. So if I use any card then pay off that card using my visa, I get my reward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
I fueled at the diesel pumps at three separate Pilots on the way to Florida this year. The Pilots did not have a separate RV Island so I was forced to use the Truck lanes. In each case I inserted my RV Plus card, got my $.08 per gallon discount (Good Sam Life Member) off the cash price right at the pump. I was told at one station that my RV Plus card was also a My Rewards Card (my RV Rewards card had cracked while in my wallet) so I did not need another My Rewards card.

The only station I fueled at that had separate RV Islands were a Flying J station, which I also used the above procedure to pay for my diesel.

In addition I used this same procedure at the gas pumps at Pilot to fuel my toad. There is a Pilot approx. 1/2 mile from the RV Resort we are staying at this winter. The discount is $.06 per gallon for gas (again GS Life Member).

I am not sure why the procedure listed in the last post for the Truck Lanes says you have to go inside to pay because I NEVER did. I used the RV Plus card at the pump and never went inside. I was told if I wished to use a credit card other than the RV Plus card I could go inside to get the discount, then pay with a different card.
You only have to go inside if you are using the Rewards Card only (or sometimes called the Pump Start card, then you go inside. If you are using the RV Plus card it is all handled at the pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
That is my understanding also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRoadking View Post
Where do I apply? Can it be done on-line? I'm a life member of GS.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
With the new ownership of Flying J and the MUCH higher prices than other fuel stops we try to avoid Flying J. We fuel at other major station that still pump a lot of fuel, just not 10 cents a gallon higher. I still get my PenFed discount at the other stations and fuel is usually a dime a gallon less. Everybody has a preference, mine is just no longer Flying J.
Yes! The focus seems to be "FJ no matter what", PFed card, FJ discount card, and "I cant fit at a regular fuel pump".

I may be buying new tires with my fuel $ savings before they realize how much extra they have spent.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #67
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Just to make sure I understand - Pilot does honor the FJ card?
Thanks
Bob
Pilot and Flying J are one and the same company. I think Pilot bought out FJ, or was it the other way around? Anyway, our charge cards has both names and logos on it.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Where do I apply? Can it be done on-line? I'm a life member of GS.
Go to the Good Sam web site. Use the search engine and type in Pilot and the links will come up telling you how. I have had one for a while but... I too have noticed that Flying J and Pilot are more expensive than other places so I have now applied for a PenFed card. I am going to carry them both. If I can get into the other stations I will, and if I cannot, at least I knock 8 cents a gallon off the high price. I like options!!
HDRoadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:21 AM   #69

Pilot Now

When we had our 37' gasser I wasn't too particular about where I stopped for fuel. Unfortunately at a shell station in the Keys I had a run in with a concrete post and my rear bumper; two months later and after paying my $1,000 deductible I decided to try Pilot and Flying J.

Now with a 45' DP and 22' trailer I ONLY use the Pilot truck stops. I use the Good Sam discount and Fuel at the pump.

I appreciate the long handled window cleaning poles as love bugs are a BIG problem in FL so I make sure I clean the windows. NEVER had a problem getting in or out and if I pay an extra 5-10cents a gallon of diesel it's a LOT cheaper than that deductible on my collision insurance.

I've found in life that somethings saving pennies here and there just isn't worth the stress and aggravation. On a 500 gallon trip saving .10 a gallon is $50 and if that breaks you maybe you can't/shouldn't be driving a $300K+ vehicle?
Old 11-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
We are finding 66 stations have a new layout.
The diesel pumps are off to the side with direct
pull through. The last one we stopped at, we were
told this is the coming thing. The pumps are not
yet "credit card ready" so you need to pay inside.
Really enjoy being able to just drive through with
the 40 foot and toad.
Their prices are also lower than most stations.