Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Do so, it gets you the 3 cent discount AND the cash price instead of CC price.
I have the GS/FJ card which is a charge card and billed by FJ. I also have a PenFed Visa card. Both cards can't be used at once so With PF at 5% and FJ at .03 I always use the PF card. Am I missing something here?
Flyer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #72

Flying J information used to be free-flowing at this thread: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/hi-im...g-j-89955.html , but that Flying J representative hasn't re-visited the thread since inception, irv2 members were keeping information current.

FWIW, it's the Pilot CEO that's in trouble, not Flying J.

Contrary to what others have posted, I find Flying J pricing to be reasonable considering the convenience offered. If their pricing is so much higher, why are the lanes full? That is fine with me, less traffic in the way is better, faster re-fueling. My gripe is with Pilot management, Flying J company-owned stations are deteriorating under Pilot management, even employees are commenting-when asked about changes. The franchise stations appear to be at the same level of management.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #73

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer52 View Post
I have the GS/FJ card which is a charge card and billed by FJ. I also have a PenFed Visa card. Both cards can't be used at once so With PF at 5% and FJ at .03 I always use the PF card. Am I missing something here?
I think the issue is that if you want to fillip in the Truck lanes, you won't get the PF discount. If you use the RV lanes i think that is the best combination.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
I think the issue is that if you want to fillip in the Truck lanes, you won't get the PF discount. If you use the RV lanes i think that is the best combination.
Do the RV lanes have gasoline or must I use the car lanes to get my gas?

We have a new Pilot nearby and it has no dump station, no LP, and it doesn't appear to have gasoline other than at the car pumps. Very difficult to get away from the pumps due to the cars parked at the front of the store. It's just not RV friendly.
Flyer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #75

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Flying J just bought out a truck stop a few miles from us. What I wanted was for them to buy out the restaurant as well and they did not. The restaurant isn't really bad anyway. We go there for brunch quite often.

We always stop at Flying Js because of the Buffet. They mostly have pretty good food, ample parking for a long rig with toad, and pretty good convenience stores. We have been at a couple that I won't visit again, eg. Gary, In.

I was a trucker in another life and I always tell my DW when she is driving to just stay out of their way. They are out there trying to make a living, we on the other hand are on vacation.

I really hate to horn in on the lines for fuel at the truck pumps. They have always been nice and friendly, but to them, time is money.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #76
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneandea View Post
I am new to RVing but I have always used the trucker lanes for fueling. I have never had problems with the truckers (and I have asked them) or from the office. I use a regular visa card.

But you can't pay at the pumps, right? So you can't get the PenFed 5% rebate.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #77
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Do the RV lanes have gasoline or must I use the car lanes to get my gas?

We have a new Pilot nearby and it has no dump station, no LP, and it doesn't appear to have gasoline other than at the car pumps. Very difficult to get away from the pumps due to the cars parked at the front of the store. It's just not RV friendly.

I think I remember that the FJ where I stopped and used the RV Island had gas as well as diesel.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
If you get the the Good Sam's Pilot/flying J card you get your discount even in the truck lanes & the discount is higher. This is not a rewards card, it is a charge card. For life members it is 8 cents discount per gallon on diesel.
HDRoadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #79

Quote:
Do the RV lanes have gasoline or must I use the car lanes to get my gas? We have a new Pilot nearby and it has no dump station, no LP, and it doesn't appear to have gasoline other than at the car pumps. Very difficult to get away from the pumps due to the cars parked at the front of the store. It's just not RV friendly.
Rv lanes a Flying J have gas. With the Good Sam's Pilot/flying J card you get 6 cents off the cash price if you are a life member. I think it is 4 cents for other members. Pilots do not have RV lanes.
HDRoadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Isn't the RV Plus card just a charge card for Pilot/Flying J, and not a full credit card such as Visa or Master Charge? I thought I read that somewhere, here in past post, that the card is only good at Pilot/Flying J, and must be paid in full monthly. Maybe that is why it works well with only swiping it at the pump.
It's like a debit card. When you sign up you give them your bank routing info (Checking or Savings) and your fuel purchase ( at Pilot or Flying J) is auto withdrawn from your account up to a maximum ($2,500 per month in my case). I have not had any issues in 20 to 25 transactions at different PFJ's around the South and Midwest . Just my $0.02...

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #81

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm with Terry. We use the FJ credit/debit card where possible. It can be used at the RV Lane or truck lane with no hassles. It also saves us 8 cents per gallon. Many flying J's RV lanes are tight width wise and if someone is parked directly in front of you, well were are screwed because now we have to unhook the toad to get out. Happened twice, so we really look things over when entering. If a problem we do use the truck lanes and there never has been an issue!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #82

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We like the FJ rv lanes. Its always easy in out even with our 36' MH with 24' trailer behind us. We can wash the windows, fill with water, dump the tanks and fill with propane all in one shot. Dont get me wrong, when someone is using all of the above listed services it can tie up the lane for a while. There are always two lanes however and I tend to do "full service" in the early morning hours when Im driving all night. And yes they have both gas and diesel at the rv lanes. They also have great mini marts and I always find myself browsing the aisles. Ive never found them to be overpriced on gas but I've never payed attention to diesel prices. Even if it were higher, its worth every penny!
Old 11-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #83

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We just returned from a 9000 mile trip out west. We had gotten the GS/FJ card to ease the issue at the pumps (we have a gasser) and often exceeded $200 per fill up, which otherwise would have required 3 swipes and two different cards due to the $100 max for Master Card.

We did have some issues with some Pilot stations not being RV/Toad friendly and some FJ stations not having gas in the truck lanes or not having the RV lanes. But we found that the gas prices were more than competitive with nearby name brand stations who often added 6-10 cents to sign and GasBuddy prices if not purchasing with cash.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
But you can't pay at the pumps, right? So you can't get the PenFed 5% rebate.
Again. Yes you can. Put your CC in 1st. Then it asks for loyalty card and then it adjusts the price.
Like I said before it all works but the price, even with the discount, is usually higher at the truck pumps.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote