Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #85
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
Again. Yes you can. Put your CC in 1st. Then it asks for loyalty card and then it adjusts the price.
Like I said before it all works but the price, even with the discount, is usually higher at the truck pumps.
That's great news! I tried to use my PenFed card on the truck pumps at a truck stop (I thought it was FJ but maybe not) and it immediately told me it was rejected??? I'll try it again on our next trip. Has anyone else done it this way ?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #86
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Joe,

It seems confusing with all the posts regarding what you can and cannot do at PFJ pumps.

Here's my understanding:

Front of the buildings at PFJ's are for cars, trucks and RV's that require gasoline and diesel. These are the ones that the bigger MH's say they have problems getting into and out of for various reasons. These pumps take regular credit cards and if you have the MyRewards card or the RVPlus Card you can pay at the pump. The way I understand this procedure is that you swipe your credit card, then your PFJ MyRewards Card. If you have the PFJ credit card you would just have to swipe it (not the MyRewards card)

The Truck lanes in the back of the PFJ's where we see all the big rigs fueling typically only have diesel fuel. For us RV'ers we can use the MyRewards card, swipe at the pump and initiate the "Pump Start" feature of the My Rewards Card. This precludes you from having to go in and leave your CC at the counter and have the pump turned on. With the MyRewards card, the pump starts, you pump your fuel, pull forward when finished, and go inside and give them your credit card. it's a one time walk in/walk out system.

If you have the RV Plus Card, then you would swipe that at the pump and the card is charged for the amount of purchase.

All discounts are applied to either My Rewards, or RV Plus cards.

Here are some links that explain it better than I can.

PFJ Rewards Card

RV Plus Card and Pay at Pump

RV Plus Card Faq's

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #87
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Perfect summation, Wayne.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #88

We have hit Flying J's that advertise RV Islands but when you get there no way would be make it. the turn is too tight. We were at one somewhere in the midwest I think where a 5th wheel pulled in. When he pulled forward to leave there was not enough room for him to swing around. He was still stuck when we left. We pulled into the end pump but upon looking at how little room there would be left to swing around when we left (our tank is in the very back) we managed to back up enough to swing around and left without getting gas.

Have to laugh at some of these stations that apparently have no idea the room it takes to move an RV through. I would say we have found more that are not RV friendly despite what they advertise than one we do find. There is one in Yuma that has 2 lanes (gas and diesel) on the side of the station where the truckers go so there is plenty of room.

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:16 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
That's great news! I tried to use my PenFed card on the truck pumps at a truck stop (I thought it was FJ but maybe not) and it immediately told me it was rejected??? I'll try it again on our next trip. Has anyone else done it this way ?
I have tried it at other truck stops and it never works. At FJ and Pilot, any place I have stopped on the east coast, it has always worked.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #90

If you get a quick pump start card from pilot you can use the truck lanes. you start the pump with that card, pump your fuel, pull forward, go in and pay.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #91
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't forget that there are two types of PFJ stations. One is owned and operated by PFJ, and the other is owned and operated by a private individual. In the latter case they do not have to abide by the "benefits" of having pump start card, nor give discounts.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:40 AM   #92
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Don't forget that there are two types of PFJ stations. One is owned and operated by PFJ, and the other is owned and operated by a private individual. In the latter case they do not have to abide by the "benefits" of having pump start card, nor give discounts.
Is there any way to tell the difference, other than pulling in and trying a card?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #93
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Many of the Ma and Pa stops are self evident. If it is on a major route that trucks travel in abundance it typically is a corporate stop.

The only disadvantages to the Ma and Pa is the Pump Start and possibly no discount. I don't know how that would work with the RV Plus Card. None of it is a big thing when you are needing the fuel.

This link may help Pilot/FlyingJ Locations

Note that there are some that I found, with just quickly glancing through, that only allow RV Rewards at the truck lane pumps. There may be other items at places that are lacking benefits. You will have to look in your area of interest for the benefits.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #94
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Fellows, we keep going round and round with this, but the bottom line is still the same.

The RV Plus is a charge card just like my PenFed but doesn't give nearly as much discount as the PenFed. Scratch that one!

The RV Rewards card lets you swipe it and fill up at the truck pumps, but you still have to go inside to pay! That means NO PenFed rebate! Scratch that one too!

Are we out of options here?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #95

Quote:
Fellows, we keep going round and round with this, but the bottom line is still the same. The RV Plus is a charge card just like my PenFed but doesn't give nearly as much discount as the PenFed. Scratch that one! The RV Rewards card lets you swipe it and fill up at the truck pumps, but you still have to go inside to pay! That means NO PenFed rebate! Scratch that one too! Are we out of options here?
I read on one post that someone used the Pilot Rewards card and the the PenFed card together on the RV lanes. They said they were getting both discounts. I am going to try that as soon as my PenFed card gets here. Unlike some on this post, I have not found a Flying J that I could not get in and out of using the RV lanes and it pumps better into my Palazzo than the truck lanes with the bigger nozzles.
HDRoadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #96
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Fellows, we keep going round and round with this, but the bottom line is still the same.

The RV Plus is a charge card just like my PenFed but doesn't give nearly as much discount as the PenFed. Scratch that one!

The RV Rewards card lets you swipe it and fill up at the truck pumps, but you still have to go inside to pay! That means NO PenFed rebate! Scratch that one too!

Are we out of options here?
I would say so. Your only option is to not use PFJ for diesel and see if you can find a truck stop/gas station you can use your PenFed card at.

Or, RV Plus for 8 cents back, or RV Rewards Card for 3 cent back.

Lets' see, 100 gallons time $3.50 per gallon is $350.00 minus the .08 cents a gallon ($8) is $342.00 and 5% of $350 is $17.50, not much of an argument on which one to try and use.

Joe, in your original post you said that you spent $495 and saved $15, that is not 5%, it's more like 3%. what gives.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I would say so. Your only option is to not use PFJ for diesel and see if you can find a truck stop/gas station you can use your PenFed card at. Or, RV Plus for 8 cents back, or RV Rewards Card for 3 cent back. Lets' see, 100 gallons time $3.50 per gallon is $350.00 minus the .08 cents a gallon ($8) is $342.00 and 5% of $350 is $17.50, not much of an argument on which one to try and use. Joe, in your original post you said that you spent $495 and saved $15, that is not 5%, it's more like 3%. what gives.
Yes, if you go to a regular station like many of us, 10-12c cheaper to begin with minus another 5% for PennFed.

$3.50 at PFJ becomes $3.38 to start, minus another 17c for PennFed. Bottom line 29c less than PFJ. That is $29 per 100 gallons.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #98

Quote:

This is the 3rd and final time. Swipe your PennFed card 1st. Then it will ask for loyalty card (RV Rewards). That gives you the discount. Fill up and go.
I have done it 100 times.