Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,243
Tried the Flying J RV Island for the 1st time

I got one of the PenFed Cash Rewards Visa credit cards with the 5% rebate on fuel. Problem is that you have to pay at the pump to get the rebate. None of the truck stops that I know of will allow you to use the truckers diesel pumps and pay at the pump with a personal credit card. My rig is too long to use the diesel pumps at the gas islands.

On a recent trip I stopped at a Flying J to check out the RV Island. Here are my observations:

1. There was ample space for a big rig to get in and out. (positive)

2. It allowed me to pump up to $495 using the PenFed Visa credit card with only one swipe! (positive) BTW, it only allowed $100 per swipe with Mastercard. It said you could swipe it again but not sure about that.

3. The pump had the small nozzle and it was so short I had to hold it in the tank the entire time! (negative)

4. There was a water bucket with a long-handled brush & squeegee like they provide for the truckers. (positive)

5. There was no water hose to rinse the front although there was a faucet if I wanted to drag out my hose. (negative)

That's three positives and two negatives so I can live with that to get my 5% rebate! That was a $15 rebate on my purchase. I know, I can't go to Hawaii on that but every little bit helps!
__________________

__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
vsheetz's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 11,776
Agree - getting the full 5% discount via PENFED make it overall a positive.
__________________

__________________
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
mikelm48's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 974
Did you use the Flying J RV card (free)? You get another $.03 off.
__________________
Mike
2005 Kountry Star 3907, ISC330, Spartan chassis, M&G braking, Blue Ox Aventa XL
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northwestern Montana
Posts: 3,138
"That's three positives and two negatives so I can live with that to get my 5% rebate! That was a $15 rebate on my purchase. I know, I can't go to Hawaii on that but every little bit helps! "

Joe, I opened up a minimum Money Market Savings account with PenFed as you suggested via the web. Did PenFed mention that you would still get the full 5% pay at the pump discount when you opened your savings account? Also anything about no annual fee for the card? I already had the cash card, and did not speak to a real person when I opened the savings account.__________________
__________________
Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
mikelm48's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 974
Did the same. I was told we keep the 5 percent and no annual fee.
__________________
Mike
2005 Kountry Star 3907, ISC330, Spartan chassis, M&G braking, Blue Ox Aventa XL
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
96 Wideglide's Avatar
 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,215
In Canada, we have'nt had pumps that you could leave while pumping, for many years.
__________________
Ben & Sharon
2008 43' Holiday Rambler Scepter PDQ
96 Wideglide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
Did you use the Flying J RV card (free)? You get another $.03 off.
No, I don't have a Flying J card. I will check that out! Thanks!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
"That's three positives and two negatives so I can live with that to get my 5% rebate! That was a $15 rebate on my purchase. I know, I can't go to Hawaii on that but every little bit helps! "

Joe, I opened up a minimum Money Market Savings account with PenFed as you suggested via the web. Did PenFed mention that you would still get the full 5% pay at the pump discount when you opened your savings account? Also anything about no annual fee for the card? I already had the cash card, and did not speak to a real person when I opened the savings account.__________________
Yes, the Customer Service Assistant Manager told me that by opening the Money Market Savings account you will qualify for the continued 5% rebate. There is no annual fee.
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
mikelm48's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Grapevine, TX
Posts: 974
Just go inside any flying I or pilot and ask for one.
__________________
Mike
2005 Kountry Star 3907, ISC330, Spartan chassis, M&G braking, Blue Ox Aventa XL
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Kurtsara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I got one of the PenFed Cash Rewards Visa credit cards with the 5% rebate on fuel. Problem is that you have to pay at the pump to get the rebate. None of the truck stops that I know of will allow you to use the truckers diesel pumps and pay at the pump with a personal credit card. My rig is too long to use the diesel pumps at the gas islands.

On a recent trip I stopped at a Flying J to check out the RV Island. Here are my observations:

1. There was ample space for a big rig to get in and out. (positive)

2. It allowed me to pump up to $495 using the PenFed Visa credit card with only one swipe! (positive) BTW, it only allowed $100 per swipe with Mastercard. It said you could swipe it again but not sure about that.

3. The pump had the small nozzle and it was so short I had to hold it in the tank the entire time! (negative)

4. There was a water bucket with a long-handled brush & squeegee like they provide for the truckers. (positive)

5. There was no water hose to rinse the front although there was a faucet if I wanted to drag out my hose. (negative)

That's three positives and two negatives so I can live with that to get my 5% rebate! That was a $15 rebate on my purchase. I know, I can't go to Hawaii on that but every little bit helps!
why does the length of the rig prevent you from using the diesel pumps at the gas islands?
__________________
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northwestern Montana
Posts: 3,138
"Yes, the Customer Service Assistant Manager told me that by opening the Money Market Savings account you will qualify for the continued 5% rebate. There is no annual fee."
__________________
Joe & Annette


Joe,

Thanks for the information, it is much appreciated.
__________________
Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 26,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
why does the length of the rig prevent you from using the diesel pumps at the gas islands?
The total length of my MH and toad is about 60 feet. There's just not enough room to get in and out at most locations.
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Stealth01's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: MidWest
Posts: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
The total length of my MH and toad is about 60 feet. There's just not enough room to get in and out at most locations.

The OPERATIVE WORDS are "most locations"!! The frustration with Flying Js is the lack of commonality from station to station... I know of Flying Js that I can get my 45 footer towing into and out of... I know of others that I couldn't get out of to save my life!
__________________
Ken & Anita 2011 Newmar Essex,4522,Cummins 500 ISM,2013 CRV,RVI2 Brake with TPMS **Our Travel WebSite**
<a href=https://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m512/kengallagher/copper_a_zps0e12153d.jpg target=_blank>https://i1129.photobucket.com/albums...ps0e12153d.jpg</a>
Stealth01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
nforus's Avatar


 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
The OPERATIVE WORDS are "most locations"!! The frustration with Flying Js is the lack of commonality from station to station... I know of Flying Js that I can get my 45 footer towing into and out of... I know of others that I couldn't get out of to save my life!
We agree with Stealth01, some flying J's ok, others- no way, especially if the trucker next to you pulls forward and goes in to grab lunch. Perhaps the "big rigs best bets" authors could expand on their reviews of fuel stops. We make notes in our truckers atlas of places we liked and didn't like, and on new routes we start looking when we reach 1/2 half tank.
__________________

__________________
2013 Polaris RZR 4/900
Location: Colorado
nforus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.