RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2018, 08:59 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Tried to have a Safe-T-Plus Installed

We're wintering in Phoenix, and I decided that it would be good to have a Safe-T-Plus installed on our 2012 Monaco Lapalma. I went to the Safe-T-Plus web site, and there was a dealer listed that was less than a mile from the RV park we're in. So, we went to Little Dealer Little Prices, and spoke to the service department. They ordered the Safe-T-Plus, and scheduled us in on a Friday for installation.

Come Friday, I disconnected everything from our site, and had my wife follow me to the dealer in our toad. I dropped the coach off, and was told that it would take around an hour, and they would call me. My wife and I took our pooches to a nearby dog park to wait until the coach was done. After two hours with no contact from the dealer, we drove over. The service guy told me that he was glad to see me, as he was just about to call me (sure he was!). He said that they had not ordered the bracket that is needed to install the Safe-T-Plus. He said that he would order it, and it would be in the following Tuesday. So, I took our coach back to the rv park for the weekend.

Tuesday arrived, and I never heard from the dealer. So, Tuesday afternoon, I went over, and the service guy I had been working with looked at me like he had no idea who I was. I reminded him, and he said that he had got the bracket in, and they could do the install on Wednesday. So, on Wednesday, I go through the whole rigamarole again, and while we are waiting at the dog park, we get a call. Steve (the service guy), informs me that the bracket box did not contain the necessary U bolts. He said that they could order them and have them in the next day. I told him that I would be over to talk to him.

When I got to the dealer, I was pretty upset, and ended up telling him that we were done, and I would take my business elsewhere. He seemed completely disinterested.

Maybe I should have given them another chance, but they didn't seem to care one way or another. Before I retired, I was an IT guy, and when we dealt with customers, we did everything we could reasonably due to provide them with the needed service. This dealer was letting a couple of missing U bolts stop the install? This is a fairly large dealer that sells trailers, fifth wheels, class c and class a motorhomes. They also have a large service department. I have trouble believing that they didn't have the needed bolts in-house, but even if they didn't , there are plenty of parts stores nearby to get them. In their position, I would have bought the bolts, completed the install, and dealt with the vendor that sent me the incomplete part kit to recover the cost.

Now, we're leaving in a few days for a week in Tucson, and I'll see if I can find a reliable dealer there.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2018, 09:15 AM   #2

I think after screwing up the first install due to lack of parts, which should have been ordered the first time, I would have made sure the second round of parts was complete before bring the coach back in. Sounds like this dealer was learning the installon your rig.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:31 AM   #3

I find it hard that a service shop doesn't have an extra set of u bolts setting around that could work. I would take my business elsewhere.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:05 AM   #4

You did the right thing. The dealer could have picked up U bolts at a hardware store. Tells how they would have treated you with a warranty service .
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:26 AM   #5

Due to liability issues, I can understand why the dealer did not substitute non OEM parts. God forbid there was a accident and fingers where pointed at inferior substituted parts, I would not want to be the dealer that installed them!

The dealership dropped the ball, they should have fully checked that they had everything to do the complete install before setting up the appointment.
Caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:42 PM   #6
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I ordered Safe-T-Plus for two different MHs and everything came in one box each time as I recall.

I would call Safe-T-Plus and tell them what happened.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:49 PM   #7

Fortunately, the factory is only 1 1/2 hours from my location. They did the job in about 45 minutes while we and our two dogs sat inside the MH. Great job, only one adjustment needed and it was slight.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:55 PM   #8
vwd

Safe T Plus cylinder and bracket come in separate boxes and are separate line items on the order. The Safe T Plus warranty specifically states that the use of any parts other than those they supply voids the warranty. This does not excuse the dealer. Any authorized installer should know what they have to order. Walking away was the right thing. If they were lost that early in the installation, they would have never got it centered.
vwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:06 PM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Safe-T-Plus customer service is exceptional as is the owner. Having had the Safe-T-Plus installed on my old 2008 the repair facility did the ordering All parts were in one box.

The dealer you were dealing with needs to be "reported" to Safe-T-Plus. Also, they can recommend a dealer in the area you are going to. If you go on to there web site all the information is here for your MH. Just verify what you are getting and call them and they will help.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:09 PM   #10

Working through a dealer, it took 3 times to have the correct brackets shipped to our house. It was a bit frustrating and the only reason we got the correct bracket was the 3rd time the factory intervened and shipped the correct parts.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:04 PM   #11

All of my parts were in one box.
fpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:20 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I outlined what happened on the Safe-T-Plus website. I'm waiting to hear back from them.

In a month or so, I plan on being in the Georgia area. Does Safe-T-Plus do installations at their factory?
Old 01-29-2018, 08:25 AM   #13

Read my post #7.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:48 AM   #14

This has been on my short list. We'll be rolling through Atlanta on Thursday and they said, no problem, bring it in and we'll install it.

Tags
install, led