Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2015, 09:14 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Trimark Entry Latches

Last week I was doing some maintenance on our Bounder and got locked out when the Trimark latch would not let me open the door from the outside. Fortunately I was finished with my work so I just locked everything up and went home. Today, after doing research here and at rv.net I went back with my tools in preparartion of drilling a hole in the handle so I could get the thing open. Fortunately I was able to open it without drilling, and while investigating the issue I noticed that if I push up on the handle as I'm pulling on it the latch will release. Nothing inside looked worn, bent, or broken but I want to replace it anyway.

I went online and found replacements for anywhere from $40 to $200, but they were out of stock in most places. A quick trip to my local repair shop revealed that they are also out of stock, and their price was $140. Further, their reviewof their Fleetwood parts list reveals that Fleetwood wants $325 for the latch!

So, I know that the latch has been discussed here in the past - does anyone have an inexpensive source for the Trimark 030-0900 latch? I'm pretty sure I need the longer dead bolt, according to my repair shop, and I'm willing to pay a decent price - I just don't want to pay too much!

Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2015, 10:39 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Last week I was doing some maintenance on our Bounder and got locked out when the Trimark latch would not let me open the door from the outside. Fortunately I was finished with my work so I just locked everything up and went home. Today, after doing research here and at rv.net I went back with my tools in preparartion of drilling a hole in the handle so I could get the thing open. Fortunately I was able to open it without drilling, and while investigating the issue I noticed that if I push up on the handle as I'm pulling on it the latch will release. Nothing inside looked worn, bent, or broken but I want to replace it anyway.

I went online and found replacements for anywhere from $40 to $200, but they were out of stock in most places. A quick trip to my local repair shop revealed that they are also out of stock, and their price was $140. Further, their reviewof their Fleetwood parts list reveals that Fleetwood wants $325 for the latch!

So, I know that the latch has been discussed here in the past - does anyone have an inexpensive source for the Trimark 030-0900 latch? I'm pretty sure I need the longer dead bolt, according to my repair shop, and I'm willing to pay a decent price - I just don't want to pay too much!
By any chance did you try squirting it with a silicone spary - or shoot some in the lock - or graphite. When ours sticks the spray corrects the situation. Just a thought.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:57 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
New Trimark 30 900 Motor Home Exterior Door Handle Lock w Keys | eBay

See if this is what you are looking for, it says 10 are available $55 with free shipping
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:14 AM   #4

I know the older ones uses a white nylon cam to operate the pull on the rods. They become wore or can break in cold weather. I replaced all eleven compartment and entrance with new chrome last year. Wasn't cheap but sure made a difference in looks. Handle meckinism broke six months earlier on the wet bay with black and grey full! Took 4 hrs to open in 18 degree weather! Total price was $600.oo worth of preventive maintance. Difference from black to chrome. . . . priceless!
Old 08-25-2015, 09:40 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have had the same problem. Took lock apart, all seemed as it should be, no worn or broken parts. Lubricated and reassembled. No problem since, but I have no confidence it will open every time.
I hate to replace any part or all of it without knowing what caused the latch not to open in the first place.
Any suggestions what to look for that might be defective in the latch system that needs repair or replacement?
Old 08-25-2015, 11:16 AM   #6

If you pull the outside handle and it does nothing and you can open the door from the inside there is a bar that comes from the outside part and moves the inside part and it bent. Open lock set and bent it back and you will be good to go.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:07 PM   #7

I just went thru the same thing. Try Pacific RVParts.com That's where I was able to find the one I needed.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
If you pull the outside handle and it does nothing and you can open the door from the inside there is a bar that comes from the outside part and moves the inside part and it bent. Open lock set and bent it back and you will be good to go.
Providing it happens in the pass through. My battery's, wet bay, filters,and propane are not in pass throughs. Mine pulls cables inside the doors.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
Providing it happens in the pass through. My battery's, wet bay, filters,and propane are not in pass throughs. Mine pulls cables inside the doors.
I thought we were talking about the entry door.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:38 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Next time I open it up I'll check for any apparent bent parts. When I looked earlier everything looked okay.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:51 PM   #11

A service technician told me to always leave a window unlocked, just in case the door lock fails. I did, it did, and I got in to fix things enough to use the lock manually; but it's hard on an old man to crawl through a window 6' from the ground.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:05 PM   #12

Don't fix ... replace it. I also had a Trimark malfunctioned and I was trapped inside the motor home while we were in San Antonio in March this year. Had no prior warning signs, just quit working. Lucky enough my wife was following in our toad as we were just traveling to a flat spot to hookup after leaving our camping spot. She was able to get the ladder out of the bay and I had to climb through a window to get outside. Called GS and they sent a lock smith that eventually was able to get the door open after he was able to break the lock cylinder from what ever was holding it in place. Also resulted in some damage do the siding around the door near the lock (but was easily bent back into place and barely shows now). This was on a Sunday, so had to wait until Monday to order a new Trimark lock (with deadbolt) from Texas RV Supply ... got it on Tuesday. Cost was $119 (I could have got the same exact lock on-line for a lot less but had no choice). Had to spend several more days in San Antonio. Bottom line, don't fix/oil ... replace. Don't get yourself stuck inside!
Old 08-26-2015, 12:14 PM   #13

Yep, replace it & leave a window unlocked. My windows were all locked so had to drill a hole thru the frame to get to the latch with a coat hanger & push the latch up. Only took about an hour. Wouldn't be fun in pouring rain or freezing temps.