Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2015, 04:57 PM   #1

Trip finished: The good, the bad, and the ugly

We are home after 7 weeks on the road, our first big trip. We traveled from NH to FL and back again. What an experience! I can't wait until next winter when we can do it again. So here is a quick recap:

The Good: Almost everything. We had great campgrounds. I posted some reviews. We met lots of great people especially at the Super Bowl Party at the WP Franklin COE Park. We were able to visit lots of friends, some we hadn't seen in 30 years.

The Bad: Wow! The roads in PA were bumpy, (84 and 81) We had colder than usual weather but it sure beat the -20 degrees at home. We had to hold up in VA on the way home because of the snow.

The Ugly: Our switch for our electric jack went haywire while we were driving. By the time we realized what had happened, the jacks were bent and messed up. (Luckily DH was able to bend it back so we could travel and it will be covered under warranty when we bring it back to our dealer.) The other unfortunate thing is that the seal on the slide didn't go out right and we had a bad storm. We had a bad leak in the camper. I think we got to it on time but we'll check it out now that we're home. We're thinking of getting an awning for over the slide.

If I had to rate this first trip on a 1-10 (10 is the highest) I would give it a 9. With everything we learned I look forward to a 9.5 next year. Is there ever a 10? What fun would that be?

I want to thank everyone on this forum who patiently answered my many questions before the trip. You played a big part in making our first trip such a success.
mrebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2015, 05:06 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Their is never a 10 if the trip is more than a weekend. I think a 10 would be dull. I love the (war stories) about what went wrong and how it was over come. Such as your elec. jacks story. I really enjoy the war stories when they are someone else's problems and not mine. ;-)
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:24 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Glad you enjoyed your trip and are looking forward to doing it again next year.
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:27 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats on a good trip!

No, there will never be a 10 on an extended trip! Murphy's law just kicks in there at some point!

I would highly recommend slide toppers!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:15 PM   #5

X2 on toppers. Our Georgetown, which was 8 years old when we bought it, had them over both slides. The one over the living-room slide looked a bit frayed at the front end, but we didn't think it was a big deal. Wrong!! It was frayed all the way from the leading edge to the back. There was no vinyl left, just the netting it had been molded to.

We go a major leak into the overhead cabinets in the slide-out, but a full Costco package of paper napkins soaked it up. The cabinets got moldy and I built new ones, using the original doors.

Slide seals are often a headache. They tend to roll over instead of sliding. I put dry graphite on the seals and didn't have any more problems. I was worried that the graphite might smear and be visible when the slides were deployed, but didn't have an issue.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
X2 on toppers.
Out of curiosity, what made you hang up your RV shoes?
lincoln20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:24 AM   #7

phwang20: We had to get home because of work. DH and I own our own campground and we have a trade conference next weekend and a camping show the following weekend. So, we're not actually giving up, we're just trading hats from RVing to serving our RVing guests. Both are good. Thanks for asking.
mrebele is offline   Reply With Quote