Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2015, 08:32 PM   #1

Trip Planning

Planning a trip from Reno to Fort Lauderdale in January have 2 weeks to get there as long as I want to get back. Any ideas as to best route that time of year?
Nfglaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2015, 09:46 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfglaser View Post
Planning a trip from Reno to Fort Lauderdale in January have 2 weeks to get there as long as I want to get back. Any ideas as to best route that time of year?
Nf, if you plug into Google Maps "Reno >> Ft Lauderdale" the shortest route it gives you is about as good as you're going to get. Prime consideration in January will be winter storms, so as far south as quickly as possible would be the general rule. Instead of picking up I-40 East at Kingman, you could continue south on US93 to get I-10 at Phoenix.

Just keep an eye on the weather channel, and remember that in the direction you're going the significant weather will be coming from behind you. That time of year the weather can be a crapshoot. Winter of 2013-2014 we crossed the US287/I-40 corridor westbound from Dallas to Las Vegas in late Jan-Feb. Weather was fine and glorious the whole way.

Good Luck!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:39 PM   #3

That would depend on the weather when you pull out. I would also suggest heading south to interstate 10 which has the advantage of avoiding the higher elevations of other routes. How you get there might be an exercise in avoiding the high mountain passes. Coming back will be easier as the weather should have improved enough to open up the entire country. So many National Parks/state parks/historical points of interest so I would just say come back a different route. Enjoy your trip!

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:39 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I almost always use Good Sam Trip Planning on line. It is free - you will probably have to register but the trip planning can be tailored to you specific unit. Probably not any issues with width, height or propane restrictions on those roads, if there are issues Good Sams does a nice job of highlighting. Not sure if you have a GPS unit or are using cell phone Google Maps. Either way you can use Good Sams to validate RV travel restrictions. Just what we do.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:06 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
X2 on getting south as fast as possible as the weather will be a determining factor. We just got back from a 4 week trip to NM and the weather was already getting cold, they got snow in Taos this week at higher elevations. You can pick up I10 in AZ and head east all the way to FL.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote