Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2016, 05:55 PM   #15

Duke48 - Just to be clear. I think most would recommend reservations for those mentioned big holidays. For example, 4th of July. Take a look at your projected general course, add a few days for both contingency and 'Gee, let's stay here a bit longer!' - and eye ball where you think you'll before the 4th's holiday. Choose a spot where you'd like to hunker down, and then get reservations for that.

For example, we leaver from Southern California in mid May. Going to the 100th running of the Indy 500, then on up into Maine before running back West along along the Great Lakes and South of the Canadian border. As of now, we have three reservations. I call these 'Anchor Point' reservations. Knowing that I want to hit the park for Indy on the Friday before the 500 race. In Maine, yep, a 4th of July reservation at another 'Anchor Point'... In between all of these, we just take our time, as I leave plenty of time in the schedule for weather, problems, and fun changes in schedule.

We too usually start calling around noon, to a few parks in the area we feel we want to stop at between 2:00-3:00PM. Some say no problem, no reservation needed. Others say sure, lets make sure you have a space.

You guys will get a system going that works for you.

Have a blast. Oh, and I agree with the comment about a bit warm that time of year in New Mexico, AZ and UT - depending on elevations. Perhaps think about wandering North from your few States, and then back down and around the hotter states later in your travels. (If you will be out that long. Say September and October, and you should find less crowds, and cooler temps too!

Best to you,
Smitty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2016, 03:35 AM   #16

Smitty, I like your your system; it is similar to what we have used when traveling by car. We are also thinking of using centralized stopping points where we could stay for a few days and use a car to make day trips it areas of interest.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #17

Short day trips are fine but long ones will wear you out. It's not difficult to move a RV. We rarely made reservations.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:36 PM   #18

I would recommend you never let your tank get below half. You never know what troubles might lie ahead.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Short day trips are fine but long ones will wear you out. It's not difficult to move a RV. We rarely made reservations.
Good advice, but I'm more concerned about maneuvering in congested and unfamiliar areas that may have limited accommodation for a MH. I'm sure, with more experience, this will become less of an issue.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
I would recommend you never let your tank get below half. You never know what troubles might lie ahead.
Absolutely.. We have traveled quit a bit by car and our past practice has been to avoid major cities during during rush hours, and when going through them, always start with a full tank and an empty bladder.