Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2019, 08:37 AM   #1

Trip Prepping

I'm still pretty new to the RV world, and learning all of the tricks to make things easier. I've got a weekend trip coming up, and wondering how you all get your trailer set up beforehand?

My main question is the absorption fridge. Last trip we took, we just loaded an ice chest with everything. Turned the fridge on once we were parked at the campsite, after a couple of hours, unloaded everything from the ice chest into the freezer, put as many ice packs as we could into the fridge, and then right before going to bed, moved most of the stuff into the fridge. It worked, but I feel like there has to be an easier way.

My trailer is parked in a storage lot, with no cover, and no power. Temperatures this week have been over 100 degrees, so I can't imagine how hot it is inside the trailer. I've thought about turning the gas on overnight, but not sure I trust that, especially since the place is abandoned at night. Also I realized last night that my battery is dead, and I think that is necessary for the fridge to run off of gas.

Any suggestions on a good way to cool down the fridge prior to parking at the campsite?
JMod45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2019, 09:26 AM   #2

Sounds like you are "between a rock and a hard place"; your RV battery is dead and you need a refrigerator. Yes, you need 12 volts to run the refrigerator even on propane gas. Its needed to operate the circuits boards and gas valves. Doesn't take a lot of battery powe but the refrigerator won't run on a dead battery.

My RV is parked out by our barn with 20 amp hookup. So when we get ready to go somewhere, we turn on the refrigerator several days in advance, pack and go.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:27 AM   #3

You need a fully charged battery. Propane has an automatic shut off if excessive flow. You should be able to start the fridge the night before. Dos not take that much battery power to run the fridge. I start mine after dinner the day before we leave.
Any vents in your roof You can open?
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:31 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Turning it on the night before is the best way I've found. Test your battery- a good one should be fine running the fridge for 8 to 12 hours or so. If your battery(s) are approaching 5 years or so, it would be good insurance to replace them.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:38 AM   #5

Ditto.

I turn on the fridge the night before and run on propane. The fridge circuit board does not use that much battery power.

Once I’m loaded and ready to roll, I power up the generator, and if it’s hot, turn on the AC also. All cold food and beverages are in the ice chest.

Once at camp and on shore power everything in the cooler goes into the cold fridge.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:43 AM   #6

Turn it on the night before and put a case of water in it and a few bottles in the freezer. The absorption fridges work by removing heat from its interior. Since "Air" have very little bulk, it is hard for the fridge to remove the heat from its interior.
Your normal household fridge has a compressor like an air conditioner that cools the interior air of the fridge.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:05 PM   #7

Can you park it at your home the night before and plug it in? That's the best.... cool the refrigerator the night before. If you can trust your present battery or get new batteries it's certainly o.k. to run it on propane overnight. It won't run down the battery.

When loading the refrig. have as much as you can frozen such as meats. Everything should be cold... including cans/bottles of drinks.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:15 PM   #8

I also store mine in a lot. I turn mine on on the way to work in the morning.

But, you also need to deal with the battery, when you pack after returning. All trailers have a parasitic draw when parked. From the carbon monoxide sensor if nothing else. If you have a battery cut-off, use it when you park. If you do not, my last trailer did not, disconnect the negative lead after parking.
Bulletstoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:55 PM   #9

I think I'll take my battery home tonight and plug it in for a few days. Hopefully that will give me enough battery to run the fridge for one night. I just read about norcold fires, which has me nervous about leaving it unattended for the night. I heard about some people running them while driving, but not sure that sounds like a good idea. I always turn off the gas before driving.
Filling up the fridge with water bottles sounds like a good idea. We typically take old water bottles, fill them about 75% and freeze for makeshift ice packs. I'll put some of those in, along with the package of water we normally take.
My trailer does fit in my driveway, but I would need blocks under the front tires to level it there. I put it there once after a trip, so we could clean out the inside, but I didn't level it. With the way people park in the street in my neighborhood, I may not be able to get out for a while either.
JMod45 is offline   Reply With Quote