Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to OldHiker Send a message via Yahoo to OldHiker
Trip software for the Mac

Have used Trailer Life Campground Navigator but have recently crossed over to the other side. Has anyone had any experience with any Mac trip planning software?
OldHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
No real experience, but there's Route Buddy. RouteBuddy - Modern Digital Map software for Windows, Mac OS X and iOS

joe
Old 02-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #3

You can plot but not plan.

Still trying to understand the draw to the Apple products. I guess if you're into editing photos and videos, then these products are good. Me, I'm not into that and I might just return it.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
laj

Lots of reasons. Better graphics, better os,
Doesn't, lock up, and many more.
I am going to play extensively with the newer trip
Planning se as soon as I can get it all.
Will put each one on a different one so that I can compare at the sametime
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:35 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You did not mention which Apple product you are using. If it is one of the newer Intel chip based systems you can run Windows programs like Streets & Trips.

This requires owning a version of Windows to load on the Mac in a separate partition, but if you are just switching over you may have a copy lying about.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #6

I have a 30 day old Macbook Pro fully loaded. Currently on the phone with Dell ordering a M6600.

I tried but there are just too many issues as far as I am concerned.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
No viruses (so far) on Mac. That's why I go with it.
llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Old Hiker,

I was a die-in-the-wool PC user. I cut my teeth on a VIC-20, then Commodore-64, then an IBM-8088 and an upward spiral from there. I worked in IT Security for NASA and did forensic analysis on computers that were misused, all PC's. (Just for background)

I retired, and a few months later DW retired. She has used a MAC and asked if I would get her a MAC as a retirement gift. Sure, why not. Well, she used it for awhile, but when I bought my own computer chair she was out of the picture. No, I'm not as up to date on the technology of the MAC, but in my personal experience it is a far better computer, but then we each have our own idea. I had one experience where I had to load the operating system back on the MAC, and I'm sure that it was a fault of something drastic that I did, but it was a simple task to reload. I have since added all the backup software - so I hope I'm safe from that dilemma now.

Back to your OP. I also run VMFusion software and I can switch between MAC and Windows applications on the fly with just the "Command Tab" buttons. I even share the Desktop between the two systems. Even though my external hard drive is formatted for MAC, the Windows portion can view and write to that hard drive as well.

Like you I wanted a mapping/planning program and I am used to MS S&T, so now it is installed on the MAC. However, I have found that using BING.COM/MAPS, and GOOGLE Maps that I can do almost everything in those on-line programs as I could do on MS&T. In fact there are some things I can do better in planning.

Example: I mark my route itinerary in BING or Google, and I want to see where RV Parks are along the route. I load up BING add my route, (itinerary) and then in the little box next to the BING logo I type in "RV Park" without the quotes. The RV Parks for that section of the map is populated and as I drag the map along the route the areas become populated with RV Parks. You can do the same for "Italian Restaurant." It is as all encompassing as any other program that is kept up-to-date, like POI's etc.

I still have the Laptop PC and it travels on trips, but beside the iMac here I have the MACMini which I carry on trips, DW has the iPad.

Have you used Facetime yet. Give a holler.

One final thing. If you decide to sell the MAC, give me a holler.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #9

As far as a pc goes, I started my business over 26 years ago by generating a business plan and cash flow projection spreadsheets on an Atari 800XL. Shortly thereafter, I bought my first 8086 and never looked back. I use preventative software and have never had a virus or any other malicious issues. To run an emulator for windows programs does not justify the $1000+ extra for the Mac.

Hey, that's just me.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've used Garmin Road Trip, free download from Garmin Garmin: Search Results , for years. It's a Mac only app. Plan you route, plan your stops, and if your using a Garmin GPS it will download into many of them.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Old Hiker,
Here is the important part of my above post:

"Example: I mark my route itinerary in BING or Google, and I want to see where RV Parks are along the route. I load up BING add my route, (itinerary) and then in the little box next to the BING logo I type in "RV Park" without the quotes. The RV Parks for that section of the map is populated and as I drag the map along the route the areas become populated with RV Parks. You can do the same for "Italian Restaurant." It is as all encompassing as any other program that is kept up-to-date, like POI's etc."

You don't need a stand alone mapping program to plan an itinerary.

You said you "crossed over" so I'm assuming you have a MAC now. The VMFusion 4 software is not a $1000 it is only $49.99 and it will let you run Windows Programs. Small price to pay to have both worlds in my opinion.

I cut my teeth back in '74 on a Honeywell 6060, then on a Univac 800. Worked for Radio Shack and sold TRS-80's, then the Color Computer. I bought my first Vic-20 in '80, then a C-64, Taught Adult Education classes on the C-84, graduated to an 8080, and spiraled upwards from there. Working Civil Service in IT Security mostly doing forensic analysis on misused PC Workstations. worked with law enforcement agencies and assisted in their forensics. So yes, I like the PC and I still use the PC Laptop when we travel. The MACMini is so I can do graphics that the PC cannot do, iPhoto, iWeb, and others.

Like you, I have never had a virus that the preventative software didn't catch. Anyone who uses a computer hooked to the internet and doesn't use preventative software is just a place waiting to happen.

Someone once said that the only way to secure a computer is to put it in a vault with no wires going to it (before wireless) and post a guard outside the door. (I'm not to sure about the guard security.)

No! Other than the browsers to plan I have not had any experience with MAC Mapping software. Let me know what you find.

Like you, it's just me.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Take a look at some of these:

Map Software for MAC