Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #1

trip to Alaska in 61 days

DW and I are excited beyond words to jump in our DP MH and head for Alaska for 3 - 3 1/2 months.

Another question (of course). Are the opportunities for boondocking in Canada and Alaska as numerous as reported in countless blogs and forums? Can I really run into one every night between 4 and 7 p.m.?

I'm having trouble believing that boondocking pullouts, pullovers, and or wide spots in the road are more numerous than truck stops and rest areas along I 70 in Indiana. We would LOVE to boondock along a beautiful stream or river or in sight to a beautiful range of mountains.

Would the experienced chime in please? Thanx

2011 Coachmen SportsCoach
Living Our Dream One Mile at a Time
Steve & Mary Ann (RVM5 & 5A)
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
We did the fly and rent an RV trip last summer and I can assure that there are plenty of places to pull off the road and settle in for the night or the night that has more daylight than night. Check out "The Milepost" and you'll find plenty of overnight stops all over the State of Alaska. Enjoy your trip, it is truly a special place.

2011 Berkshire 390bh
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
We are in Indiana also and are going to Alaska in June thru Aug via caravan.

DAJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #4

We drove up to Alaska about three maybe four years ago and there were numerous places to pull over for the night. Seems we only used an RV park was when it was time for laundry or water or if we intended to enjoy a nearby town such as fish in Homer. We'll be heading north leaving Oregon about the 8th of June. As a thought you might get more responses if you pose the question in the Crossroads - About traveling part of this site.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
As a thought you might get more responses if you pose the question in the Crossroads - About traveling part of this site.
Agree. Here is a link to one long thread are a couple of links:

Going to Alaska 2011

North to Alaska

We did out trip last May/June and had a great time. Enjoy yours.
2001 34' Alpine Coach
2008 Jeep Rubicon or 2012 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat towds
or a couple of different trailers
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
We've made the trip eleven times in two different motor homes. I've only used a camp ground once, we needed to dump and get water. The roads thru Canada are loaded with big pullouts and you won't have a problem finding a parking space when you want to stop for the night.

There is a little problem in Yukon. Rest stops and many pullouts are marked "No over night parking or camping". We continue to use them every year and I have never had anyone ask me to move. In fact I don't camp at them, I'm resting for a bit and if asked to move I'll move on at as soon as I feel save to do so.

If you are traveling thur Canada in May you will find very few CGs open. Less as you get into Yukon. Services as far as shopping and gas and diesel are good though.

There are not as many pullouts in Alaska to use so we stop and stay at many of the state campgrounds when out and about. Most are dry camping at around $8 a day.

We will be leaving May first, and hit the border at Sumas on the third. Plan to be in Anchorage by the tenth.

Good luck, have a safe and trouble free trip.

larry koenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where does the 61 days come from?
Wretched excess is just barely enough.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #8

Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
Where does the 61 days come from?
Uh. . . . . well . . . . . from the date of my OP to the departure date of our trip to Alaska 61 days need to come and go.
2011 Coachmen SportsCoach
Living Our Dream One Mile at a Time
Steve & Mary Ann (RVM5 & 5A)
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
Relax and enjoy your trip! Learn how to read the Milepost guide and you will never fail to locate a place to boondock.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
We traveled to Alaska in 2012 form New york. We used the Milepost and we planed and used the DVDs form RV Adventure Videos throughout the whole trip. The DVDs were valuable in ensuring that we planned and saw major activities and sights all along the trip. Excellent resource with campground ref as well.

RV Adventure Videos: RV Adventure Videos with John Holod Productions

Also our blog of the trip to Alaska: RVGR8escape
2004 Meridian, 2006 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox, Airforce one
FMCA 403779
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
National RV Owners Club
Yep, when you get up North, it will be like nothing you have ever experienced before. There will be times when you feel you are the only person on earth and so insignificant compared to some of the massive scenery you are passing through. It is a gorgeous place on the planet. Most RV sites start to to unshutter around Mid May. By the end, of May, they are all pretty much shaking off their winter slumber. Like others have said, be sure to do lots of research, it can be easy to miss things. If you happen to get to Braeburn Lodge (between Whitehorse and Dawson City), be sure to order the cinnamon bun and the hamburger (just one for two people mind and thats a hint). I bought one then had to draw up an eating schedule to successfully eat the darned thing.

1999 - National Tropi Cal
sirpurrcival is offline   Reply With Quote