Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #15
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ONCE my BCAA is GONE, COACH-Net will be my helper (just in case?)
The people that answer emergency calls at BCAA have no clue what a Class A Motorhome is? Clue = it's not a SEMI TRUCK.

TW

TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2011, 11:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
They all rely on mostly the same set of local tow & road service providers, so the deciding factor is which one is most responsive & best at finding the right local service for your RV issues. In the past that has unquestionably been Coach-Net. However, with Coach-Net's parent company recently moving the RV service call center from Lake Havasu to Dallas, and combining it with their commercial bus road service center, their level of service to the RV community seems to have slipped a bit; time will tell if they get back to their previous position as the preferred supplier or continue to let minoir savings in their overhead jeopardize their reputation.
At approx $100 a yr for any of them, its cheap insurance. I have policies with all 3, but then I have 3 RV's, 3 trucks & a Harley, and want to be sure I can get a response anytime/anywhere.
I also have a class A, 3 Harleys, a pickup, jag, bike trailer and boat. Triple A sucks. they left me broke down with the Harley in a very bad section of town for 4 hours and then sent a tow truck, not a flat bed. They also charge more than any other company and to get coverage on all my toys I have to keep upgrading. Coach-net covers them all at a lower cost plus the wife's coverage is free.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
I have AAA Premier RV & auto. I had Good Sam, the reason I switched & the same reason I do not have coach-net is... I am a mechanic & I do all of my own work including major overhauls. With Good Sam & Coach-net if you have a break down & need towed, they will tow you an unlimited distance , but only to the nearest service center for your vehicle. When the engine blew in my daughters Jeep last Oct 2010, Good Sam would only tow it 15 miles. I had to pay the difference to have it towed the additional 55 miles. It cost me $145. AAA would have towed it home & they have towed another vehicle from the same place to my home when I had them before I purchased Good Sam at no cost to me. AAA will tow up to 200 miles weather there is a shop 1 mile away or 250 miles away. Now as for being further away from home than 200 miles I would most likely find a reputable mechanic who would repair my vehicle. As also stated before they use the same wrecker service, so if you are in an area that the driver is clueless, well they will be clueless for all 3 service companies. All in all I will rely on AAA. Each one of us must look at what the service provider will do for them.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
We had AAA for 18 years. They were fine for autos but not for our 5th wheel when it had a flat. Would not even help us find a tire dealer. End of AAA! Next was Good Sam from 2004 up to last year after getting our first motorhome. Good Sam was ok but responder couldn't troubleshoot anything on the coach. Then when our Jeep transmission went out and we were stuck at a gas station, it took Good Sam and their towing service 2 1/2 hours, in a major city by the way, to get someone to come and then it was only to the service center. We now have Coach-Net gold, the one that covers all vehicles and coach. Finally have someone I can call if I have trouble who can help me trouble shoot before having to be towed. Haven't had to use Coach-net yet but hear glowing reports from others who have.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:37 AM   #19

GS vs Coachnet - reverse experience

My experience was the reverse. When I had Coach-net, their troubleshooting over the phone was not so hot, but recently when my MH wouldn't start I called Good Sam ERS and they did troubleshoot it by phone, and I was able to fix it myself with their diagnostic input.

I will never have AAA again, after they wouldn't tow my 1-ton van which I'd supposedly had covered by them for years.

Quote:
Good Sam was ok but responder couldn't troubleshoot anything on the coach. Then when our Jeep transmission went out and we were stuck at a gas station, it took Good Sam and their towing service 2 1/2 hours, in a major city by the way, to get someone to come and then it was only to the service center. We now have Coach-Net gold, the one that covers all vehicles and coach. Finally have someone I can call if I have trouble who can help me trouble shoot before having to be towed. Haven't had to use Coach-net yet but hear glowing reports from others who have.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #20

Is there a place on the internet that you can actually read the coverage and compare Coachl-net and Good Dam?
Old 01-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
I have AAA Premier RV & auto. I had Good Sam, the reason I switched & the same reason I do not have coach-net is... I am a mechanic & I do all of my own work including major overhauls. With Good Sam & Coach-net if you have a break down & need towed, they will tow you an unlimited distance , but only to the nearest service center for your vehicle. When the engine blew in my daughters Jeep last Oct 2010, Good Sam would only tow it 15 miles. I had to pay the difference to have it towed the additional 55 miles. It cost me $145. AAA would have towed it home & they have towed another vehicle from the same place to my home when I had them before I purchased Good Sam at no cost to me. AAA will tow up to 200 miles weather there is a shop 1 mile away or 250 miles away. Now as for being further away from home than 200 miles I would most likely find a reputable mechanic who would repair my vehicle. As also stated before they use the same wrecker service, so if you are in an area that the driver is clueless, well they will be clueless for all 3 service companies. All in all I will rely on AAA. Each one of us must look at what the service provider will do for them.
X2 I've had AAA Plus RV for a number of years with NO complaints at all for all my vehicles RV included and have used them to tow the RV as well as my cars and will continue with them.... Jim
Old 01-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I carried AAA for years when we did a lot of traveling by auto. Their trip services and maps came in quite handy. When we bought, I signed on with Good Sam road service. After my experience with them the first time I needed road service (blown tire) in the coach I switched to Coach-Net. Have had no occasion yet to use them.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #23

another vote for Coach Net, 2 calls for assistance and great response both times
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #24

I assume that CoachNet covers all household vehicles, including motorcycles?

I have been using RV RoadHelp (Allstate) for the last several years, used them a few times, no problems. Essentially the same services and pricing as Good Sam so pretty much a toss-up I guess. As was mentioned earlier most towing services end up using the same local provider anyway.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #25

Another vote for AAA RV Plus. A great experience, but you need to tell them what YOU NEED. A roll off will not work with a 5th wheel. When I told them that would not work, they found me another company in 5 minutes!!!! Very pleased.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucksmom View Post
http://coachnet.coach-net.com/cnet/GoldBG12-15-06.pdf

Is this the policy that most of you are familiar with?

Okay, just read the entire Coachnet guide for Gold membership...must say that I'm not too impressed yet. Lot's of fluff and "not covered" items. Basically to me it's a towing policy + bla bla bla.

The towing in itself is very valuable...if the cost is reasonable. Anyone want to share the yearly cost of a Gold policy?
Old 01-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #27

The problem I have with AAA is:

1. Coverage varies based on which regional AAA service you live in.
2. They are often the most expensive, feature-for-feature.
3. They often are not 'unlimited mileage' plans, and I wouldn't consider anything but.

I know, I know, some of this may or may not be correct in one region or another (see item 1 ).
Old 01-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
The problem I have with AAA is:

1. Coverage varies based on which regional AAA service you live in.
2. They are often the most expensive, feature-for-feature.
3. They often are not 'unlimited mileage' plans, and I wouldn't consider anything but.

I know, I know, some of this may or may not be correct in one region or another (see item 1 ).
I realize each plan may work differently for each region or customer. But if you really think you are getting "unlimited mileage" you had better read the fine print. Been there & had to pay the towing service for additional miles past the nearest service center. Now for some this may be all you need, but if the nearest service center that can do your work is 5 miles down the road, but you use or prefer the service center 10 miles down the road you will pay for the additional mileage out of your own pocket with Coach Net or Good Sam. But not AAA up to 200 miles with the Premier Plan.

dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote