Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #1

Triton V10 on propane.

DriveOnPropane.com - Alternative Fuel Upgrades

Has anyone ever checked on doing this to there motorhome? The way I understand this is you can run on gas or propane. I have no idea how much this would cost. Of course my little propane tank would need to be enlarged. This would be another option if gasoline prices go crazy. My hope is with the abundance of natural gas we now have they will be manufacturing more automobiles to run on natural gas which will lower gasoline prices.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #2

Propane here is the same cost as gas so not much savings.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #3

In general you will burn 30% more propane for the same power... so if gas is $3.00/gallon and propane is $2.00/gallon, it's basically a wash on cost.

Other things to think about:

* to emulate 80 gallons of gasoline you'll need 105 gallons of propane (that's actual usable capacity, so in reality you'd need to have propane tanks totaling 130 gallons. Check out the size of a 75 gallon propane tank and then think... you'd need 2 of those)
* unless you really know where you are going and the propane access... you could find yourself stranded pretty easily.
* I'm not sure what the market would be for resale, but I am thinking most buyers would consider it a significant disadvantage.

Steve
Old 03-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Another thing to think about is road tax. It would be hard to enforce and or collect but with the states after their fair share they will be looking. We went through this in the late 70's with some company trucks converted to propane.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #5

Gentlemen, thanks for your re. The knowledge on this board continues to amaze me. Needless to say I will not be pursuing this any farther.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Good advice above - you'll burn 30% more propane. And it's harder to find places to fill up.

Situations where propane is a good alternative:
1) Off road vehicles that need to run at odd angles, but are too old for fuel injection.
2) Turbo charged / forced induction vehicles that can take advantage of the lower burn rate of propane. IE - you can run higher boost and more power.

Propane conversion on a carb motor isn't hard or particularly expensive. Converting your V10 (EFI) won't work without a stand along ignition system...

Note, there are some dual-fuel solutions - such as diesel tuners running a combination of diesel and propane for big power...
Old 03-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #7

The US now has about 250,000 Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) vehicles. They are mainly fleet vehicles like trash haulers, but some over the road trucks are being built to run on them. Engines designed for CNG run very well and truckers can not tell the difference. The conversions do not do nearly as well as the motors designed for CNG. They are spark ignited unlike diesel. The pricing is around $1.50 to $2.00 per DFE (Diesel Fuel Equivalent) gallon and there is now a 50 cents off federal deal for at least the next year. CNG is also much safer as it is a gas at atmospheric pressure and goes up if the tank is ruptured where propane (and gasoline) is liquid and pools in and accident. With fracking, the prices are amazing. I have read that one long haul truck can save $40,000 a year with CNG. Pilot/Flying J is installing 550 CNG filling stations on interstates. See info and a photo of a RV on CNG at link below:

CNGnow
Old 03-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Lindsay - you are so right. I firmly believe that CNG or LNG are the next choice in fuel. Ford is already producing LNG 3500 pick ups using the technology from Westport. Cummings has several CNG engines available that are being used commercially. The main holdback right now is the infrastructure. And Pilot/Flying J, among others are working on that issue.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #9

Can Natural Gas Replace Regular Gasoline? - Yahoo!7 Finance Australia
Old 03-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #10

You can also compress your own natural gas from the line to your house and store it in a tank in the garage. Takes about 4 to 6 hours to fill up the tank with the high pressure gas (3800 psi) and then only several minutes to pump it into vehicle. Total cost is about $4,000 or so depending on many factors. This would work great for a person who never wanted to venture more than several hundred miles from their compressor. These vehicles are also much safer than gas, diesel, or propane. The tanks are made of spun Kelvar and can take a direct shot from a rifle. You can make up the installation cost at $1.50 to $2.00 per gallon.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #11

Propane Autogas for Motorfuel

Hello,
I found this post when doing some searches online. My company, AJ Automotive Group, Inc. is the company listed at the start of this thread -www.driveonpropane.com

We have an Autogas system that is a simple upgrade to any EFI engine. We have a great track record on V10 engines.

A couple of bit of misinformation that I want to clear up from this thread.

First - you do not lose 30% efficiency on Propane. In fact, we have several documented cases of increased power, as well as the same or better mileage as achieved on gasoline.

Second - our system will run on natural gas as well. But because of limited availability and expensive tanks, it is not nearly as viable as propane. In addition, the home systems for filling have a hard time being insured by homeowners insurance.

Hopefully this clears a few things up. If you would like more information, feel free to contact us and we will be happy to answer any questions you may have on any alternative fuels.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #12

Not holding my breath....yet

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:57 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Not holding my breath....yet
I'm not either, that is why I'm long on Westport.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #14
doc

Appalachian Campers
You guys go ahead. Maybe this will cause a surplus of diesel and gas and the price to drop.

Tags
propane, v10