Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2012, 04:08 AM   #29

Reading back I see you posted their name. We also need to know every brand of RV they sell. They need all the (free) advertising they can get.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
I think Kay has the right plan here. Personally I would not make a payment on a rig I don't own or posses. The [ moderator edit ]dealer would be paying it off. Also I would demand my so called extended warranty money back also, as they are nothing but a scam ripoff to begin with. It's a new rig so its under warranty. Why pay for something you already have? You should post the name and city of this [ moderator edit ]dealer. I would in a heart beat if I were you. Lets just say you are giving them a little free advertising.

I agree with your refusal to make a payment on a rig that you no longer own or posess -- but I'm in a position that's places me at the mercy of the dealer. If they don't pay off the rig, it isn't thier credit that gets dinged -- it's mine. I took out the loan, so I am responsible for the repayment of it. I doubt camping out at a dealership that has 5 locations would yield much resolution -- they could easily say that checks are created in another location from the one you are camping in, call security, and have me removed for trespassing. This issue isn't life or death and doesn't involve the loss of blood (yet), so So Cal Police wouldn't respond to a phone call about this. It's a "civil issue".

The "new" RV is actually a "new to me" RV that has 9,000 miles on it and is 1 year old, so I do not have much (if any) of a factory warranty left on it ... that is why I purchased an additional warranty. Sorry, I should have been clearer about that. I will follow up the payment that is supposed to be forwarded to the warranty company next week, and will update this thread with the news of that activity as it happens.
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck, Critter. I hope this gets resolved soon.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
I have never heard of this before. Isn't the dealer supposed to cut you a cheque when you drop the coach off and then you pay off your own loan?
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
What a nightmare. I googled McMahon's RV and found poor reviews. I also saw they have a B rating by the Better Business Bureau. 20 complaints with 18 resolved. Yuck. Perhaps when all is said and done, you could post your comments/review in as many places on the Web as you can find. Maybe it will help others avoid the same fate.
BethLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethLL View Post
What a nightmare. I googled McMahon's RV and found poor reviews. I also saw they have a B rating by the Better Business Bureau. 20 complaints with 18 resolved. Yuck. Perhaps when all is said and done, you could post your comments/review in as many places on the Web as you can find. Maybe it will help others avoid the same fate.
Amazingly, I found that the Better Business Bureau has received 120 complaints about McMahon's over the past 3 years --- the majority of them read just like mine:

McMahon's RV Business Review in Westminster, CA

******* After clicking on link, select the GREEN "complaints" tab ********

---- yet the BBB gives this dealer an A+ rating (see "overview" tab on link above). I'm not going to take any BBB rating at face value anymore ... their rating system is obviously quite flawed.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:49 AM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
The financing agency, whether bank or other institution has your name on the contract to make the payments. If you fail, then the RV is subect to repo. An interesting scenario would be if you failed to pay and the company located the RV and went to the dealership and repo'd it. Would serve the dealership right.
I'd laugh my butt off it that happened. Then the dealer would have to pay repo fees + the payoff.

Of course this is YOUR credit rateing it would leave a mark in.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #36

This story has a good ending for me.... ten minutes ago I was able to confirm that the loan has indeed been paid off.

I learned a lot from this transaction, and hope that my story was useful to others. In the future, if I ever trade in a used auto/RV that has a loan balance due, I will make it a requirement of the purchase negotiation to have the pay-off check in my hand before completing the transaction with the dealer.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I will make it a requirement of the purchase negotiation to have the pay-off check in my hand before completing the transaction with the dealer.
Never heard of it done any other way before this thread.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #38

The names of these deralerships should be given in these circumstances so others don't face the same problems !
Old 11-19-2012, 09:45 PM   #39
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Critter......Now go online to the CA DMV website and do a release of liabilty. McMahons is not required to register your vehicle until they sell it. I got notices from the DMV on mine for months.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #40

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
I'm not going to take any BBB rating at face value anymore ... their rating system is obviously quite flawed.
A business listed by the BBB can "buy" a good rating. Also, I was dealing with a large number of memory chips some years ago. Contacted a place in CA that was buying them. Checked with the BBB, gave them a clean bill of health. Sent the chips (about $900 worth), now, some 12 years later I still haven't receive anything but a notice from a bankruptcy lawer that I was to cease and desist from any collection action as they had declared bankruptcy. Turns out this was the sixth time the owner had done this over the years.
Another time the dealer owed us a TV/tape player. Offer was buy an RV if you were at a certain FMCA rally (we were) and between certain dates (we did) and they'd give you the TV/player. They tried to welch on it by saying we bought the RV when we placed the order and not when we paid for it and picked it up. The dealer lied to the BBB and said we had an agreement and every thing was OK. I wrote a letter to the BBB and they said they were accepting the dealers "word" (ie written lie). The state AG's office agreed with us and several months later we did get the TV/player. Luckily the dealer is out of business now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #41

Sounds like the BBB is a worthless scam, too! Thanks, DipDon ... already did the release of liability on the day it was turned into the dealer. I've been down that road before with another vehicle, so my eyes were already open to that issue.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:22 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Glad it all worked out Critter. A wake up for me.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote