Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2011, 09:42 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Troubled Affinity Group

The troubled Affinity Group, owner of the Good Sam Club, Trailer Life and Motorhome Magazines, has put its 72,649-square-foot office complex in Southern California up for sale for $9.7 million, Ventura's Pacific Coast Business Times reports.

Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2011, 10:01 PM   #2

I knew the costs of all that 'junk' mail would eventually cause 'em some problems. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:25 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It may not be the end of the world for them - often it's a simple business decision. The company I worked for had a large building that they built - several years ago they determined that it would save them a ton of money to sell the building, and then lease it back. That way they save property tax bills, among other things.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:27 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
I knew the costs of all that 'junk' mail would eventually cause 'em some problems. Bob
...........Thanks Bob, I could have not said it any better. I was a longtime member until I found out you could sign up @ several camping locations for only $12.00 yearly. I questioned it with home office @ renewal time, and I believe it was like $29.00 then, and was told in a pleasant way that was promotional offers only good for "NEW MEMBERS". That was enough for me as I also told them all the junk mail reduction could save enough to pass the savings on to the members, Oh well, so be it. JMHO.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:18 PM   #5

It could also be a downsizing in business and getting rid of inventory. Next will be increases in your yearly subscription rates? Never trust a business deal in secret..Hope someone has the real story here.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You left out RV.NET which they also sponsor/own.

This might actually be a good thing for some of us.. Affinity group owns many campgrounds and thus is a member of the Campground Owner's Assn's in many states.

The COA argues before legislature that we should ONLY park (even if just overnight) in a licensed campground.. This is the outfit that has gotten many Wall-mart's and Flying-J's and such posted "NO OVERNIGHT RV's"
Old 06-20-2011, 03:52 PM   #7

It doesn't surprise me that they would be in trouble. When they bought out the old Meyers RV in Upstate NY they bit off a big chunk in a declining market. Their Hamburg store made it through a couple of years before they closed it. They've since reopened but with no service and strictly sales. The rumor was that the Hamburg store had a $400,000 a month overhead. You've got to move a ton of rigs to cover that nut!
Old 06-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They also own camping world, whic i was in the other day in st augstine , 1 person on floor& also check out, had hell of time getting help & ck stock at other store, had a parts guy which had no idea what the store was far
Old 06-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #9

Sometimes a bad economy is a blessing in disguise. If you run a tight, top notch ship in good times you have a heads up in bad times. I would not consider Affinity to be a "tight ship" and certainly not top notch. An awful lot of their "growth" in recent years has been via acquisition, and not all of the acquisitions were good moves; i.e. many of their RV dealerships were already weak dealers when Affinity bought them out. In some instances they have whipsawed their vendors relative to pricing, etc. In other instances they have bought out very strong competitors and then buried them at sea; i.e. Camper's Choice had a great mail order operation that used to raise havoc with Affinity's Camping World; solution buy 'em out and CW now owns a majority of the RV accessory and supply mail order busines in the country.

Other than the loss of jobs, I would not see that the demise of Affinity would be any major loss to we RVers, the general public or the economy as a whole. Remember you reap what you sow, screw vendors and suppliers be ready to be screwed yourself. Give poor service at either CW or one of their RV dealerships be ready to see a decline in repeat business. Like I said other than the loss of jobs i for one will not lose a lot of sleep over Affinity's problems, Ken....
Old 06-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Roberts View Post
Camper's Choice had a great mail order operation that used to raise havoc with Affinity's Camping World; solution buy 'em out and CW now owns a majority of the RV accessory and supply mail order busines in the country.

I love it that WalMart kicks their butt on Camco products as well as some others.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #11

Didn't Marcus Lemonus recently assume the CEO position of Affinity Group? He used to be the CEO of Freedom Roads RV sales group only.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:09 AM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We went to an FMCA rally a few weeks ago and booked space at the upcoming Samboree in Redmond OR.
The FMCA rally was about the same length and included some donuts and coffee (three mornings as I remember and two catered dinners.
The Samboree has no donuts and coffee nor dinners, but many more seminars.
The Samboree is over $100 more than the FMCA rally although part of that is going early and having to pay extra for it.
This will be our first (and maybe last) Samboree depending on how we feel about paying so much. We've also attended an FMCA rally at Redmond so we have a good idea of the layout and facilities to compare against.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:11 AM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
I love it that WalMart kicks their butt on Camco products as well as some others.
Unfortunately Wal*Mart doesn't have tire cover in the size we need so I may end up going there. That'll be the first time in about 5 years that I've been in one of their stores.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:56 AM   #14
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Unfortunately Wal*Mart doesn't have tire cover in the size we need so I may end up going there. That'll be the first time in about 5 years that I've been in one of their stores.
Have you considered calling or visiting our first sponsor www.rvupgrades.com ?

They should have those tires covers that you are looking for.

RVUpgrades has provided major door prizes for every National Rally over the past 11 years. Thank you Bill Rowell, President of RVUPG & Founder of iRV2.com.

Bill is currently traveling with his family and JoeK's family in their RVs in our great west. He's been telling me that he has wanted to do this for the past several years and finally he took the time to go and do it! I hope the air is not too smoke filled where ever they are.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote