Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2018, 08:23 AM   #15

I never count on drivers to know when to pull back into my lane. All the ones I've seen want to pull over right away! Therefore, as soon as they start coming over I quickly drive over into the passing lane. I resent them not knowing how much air turbulence their big trucks make, and I also resent them blocking my forward view.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2018, 08:30 AM   #16

YC1, only had this rig for 3 weeks and have not checked to see it lights are on all the time.
Old Biscuit, you are right on about things not being the same as when we were younger. Hold the door open for somebody and see the look of surprise you will get.
One of the reasons to blink your head lights and let another vehicle back into your lane was so they did not hold up all the people behind them. Those folks have to get back up to 75 mpr in a hurry.
old golfer guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:40 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by old golfer guy View Post
In the 1980s and 1990s I had a small moving and storage company. At that time if an 18 wheeler was about to pass you would turn your headlights on and off a few times when he got by you so he would know when he could pull back in, then blink his tail lights a couple of times as a thank you. I just finished a 3000mile trip from Florida to Calif. with our new to us MH and blinked my headlights every time somebody passed me but NEVER got a thank you from the passer!!! Is this something that is no longer done?? Or is my new Canyon Star that slow?

Shiny side up, greasy side down
I think they still appreciate it.

I would check to make sure you are actually flashing your lights. We have two options and one to flash lights does not change anything because we are equipped with daytime running lights. The one to flash high beams does.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:54 AM   #18
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Dancer View Post
I never count on drivers to know when to pull back into my lane. All the ones I've seen want to pull over right away! Therefore, as soon as they start coming over I quickly drive over into the passing lane. I resent them not knowing how much air turbulence their big trucks make, and I also resent them blocking my forward view.
case and point. Things just aren't like they used to be at all.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:16 AM   #19

Day time running lights

Our headlights are on all the time, so I've had better luck flashing the fog lights. Truckers can see and on/off light better then a slightly brighter/slightly dimmer flash.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:31 AM   #20

Cloud Dancer, when I was on the road in my moving truck I wanted to pull over as soon as I passed the slower rig to let the cars behind me get back up to speed. It helped when they flashed. Then I knew I was clear to pull back into the right lane.
old golfer guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:37 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I resent them not knowing how much air turbulence their big trucks make, and I also resent them blocking my forward view.
Wow! You resent a lot. Yeah, sitting in the burbles is not always pleasant, but you do realize that your rig leaves burbles as well and blocks forward view too.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:45 AM   #22

Quote:

Wow... Just Wow.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:02 AM   #23

As we all know, common courtesy has gone by the wayside with a few exceptions. Lets US be the exception.
Even the truckers are not courteous to their own these days.
I will continue to be the courteous one, and when a trucker responds with a thank you light flash, it makes me smile.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
The practice dates back to 2 lane highways, let him know to get out of that lane.

When it was common, the flash did not just mean "You missed me" but more "you can come back over, you are going enough faster than I, the distance will come if we hold speeds."

How many will see a truck gaining on traffic, and use lights to let the driver know he can step out?

And what about the RVers that pull into a rest area, park as close to the bathroom door as they can, then use their own bathroom? Sure the RV has the "right" to park there, but the trucker must walk past you to use his only bathroom choice. Park out at the end if you don't want to share...

What’s the proper/best way to let a trucker/rver they can pass? I know in Mexico they will use the left signal and leave it on to signal it’s clear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2018, 11:56 AM   #25

HUGE difference between TRUCKERS and TRUCK DRIVERS! very few TRUCKERS still around
Mojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:28 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I do not know what kind of MH you have, but the ones I was looking at in the past had the IFC button. Doesn't that flick the lights for passing vehicles?

Or is the IFC button only on DP?

Just thinking out loud...

//KMac
kmac7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:21 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac7800 View Post
I do not know what kind of MH you have, but the ones I was looking at in the past had the IFC button. Doesn't that flick the lights for passing vehicles?

Or is the IFC button only on DP?

Just thinking out loud...

//KMac
If ours has one I don't know where it is.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:23 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
If at night... DO NOT Hit them with your bright High Beams.....It really urine's us off....As we cannot see for a few seconds (or longer as we age)
Turn your headlights off momentarily.... that we can see without being blinded..(just a note ... in some states the trucker may be pulling triple trailers, so check first before you give him/her the OK to swap lanes
Every vehicle we have today has that momentary bright light flash built in to the turn signal stalk. A quick pull back on it activates the high beams for less than a second, enough time to gain attention but not near enough to blind. I don't do it very often as it's not needed most of the time. Truckers depend on and use their mirrors better than most of us.

There are times though when giving a signal can be helpful. I figure a trucker passing me at night with traffic on his tail appreciates it when I give him a quick flash that it's ok to come back over.