Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
I'm on a Freightliner Chassis with a Cat Engine, both identified on the body of the coach. It's a tough argument with County Mounties that it isn't a truck if he has a quota to meet. So if it says No Trucks and nothing else I find another way. There is a street marked No Trucks on my way home and no other reasonable way to get back here and I take it, but it would still be a hard sell.

The only place it can really be argued is in court, what a hassle.

Dick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
However if a sign simply says 'no trucks' then a motorhome isn't a truck so you are not prohibited. If they want to enforce a law they need to be clear about it.
Not totally true! Here in WA there are no signs saying that heavy vehicles or towing anything have to follow truck speed limits BUT the law is that any vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000#'s or more OR towing ANYTHING must obey truck speed limits.
Just because you don't think it applies doesn't mean it actually doesn't.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Not totally true! Here in WA there are no signs saying that heavy vehicles or towing anything have to follow truck speed limits BUT the law is that any vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000#'s or more OR towing ANYTHING must obey truck speed limits.
Just because you don't think it applies doesn't mean it actually doesn't.
Always good to get to know your, and those you travel through, State laws. For instance, the cited El Camino getting a ticket in Chicago. Well, its a car, no? Wrong. In Illinios, its 2 seats and 4 wheels which makes it a 'truck'. Had a minivan cargo that got licenced the same way as it only had 2 seats.

Then, there are 'Class B' roads and their limitations..
Old 08-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Another really means "No commecical vehicles" and may be interperted differently by different cops or departments.. Now a commercical vehicle under MICHIGAN rules is one with a commercical license plate.. This can include a taxi cab, a Semi Truck or a pick up.. BUT DOES NOT INCLUDE A MOTOR HOME.
Different states, different laws. In CA a vehicle registered to an LLC IS considered a commercial vehicle. They were makming owners pay commercail fuel tax or have an IFTA Fuel stamp.
Quote:
The IFTA exempts motorhomes used by private individuals exclusively for recreation.However...
LLCs Not Excluded. LLC-registered motorhomes that qualify under the weight or axle requirements are not exempt from the license/permit requirement-even if owners furnish proof that the LLC was not formed to transact business.
"To determine whether or not a motorhome is a qualified motor vehicle and subject to the tax collected under the International Fuel Tax Agreement, the member jurisdictions will look at how the motorhome is being used,"said Lonette Turner, executive director of IFTA Inc.
"If it is being used in a business endeavor of any kind, it is subject to the fuel use taxes collected under the IFTA, regardless of whether an individual or a company registers the vehicle. Because an LLC is a limited liability company, the term alone indicates that it is a business. This may cause jurisdiction enforcement officers to look more closely at the vehicle."
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #19

[QUOTE=TheArnolds;1282875]Typically I would not go where there is a "No Trucks" sign because I have no idea why the sign was placed, low overpass, weight limit on some bridge, etc. However my Rand McNally 7710 will display a "No-Truck" warning on the secondary road to my home and there are "No-Truck" signs but I go anyway because I know that 15-20 ton trash trucks, Sears delivery trucks, United Van Lines moving truck, etc. travel these same roads so I assume the sign is intended for commercial thru traffic, not RV's or other trucks that have a business reason to be on these roads.

I am sure that some state or local authorities have a different way of looking at this so I would not argue except if I was going to my own home then we would have a discussion [/QUOTE

Knowing the local area is one thing like you mentioned, if I saw a sign that said "no trucks" that alone would say to me "low overpass" if for no other reason......and for that reason alone I would seek another route. I'm not worried about the weight.....it's pretty tough when you come up to an overpass that you can't go under....hate to lose all those goodies on the roof.

That is why when I am driving down the road, and I see a tractor trailer coming the other way, I am a happy camper.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Some roads in California are restricted from being used by motorhomes over 40 feet. Most 40 foot motorhomes are actually over 40 feet when measured. So, would a 40 footer, that measures 40'11" be restricted?
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknrun View Post
A couple of years ago I was in my car on a "no trucks" road in the mountains of VA....I remember being thankful I wasn't in my RV. Lots of hairpin curves on a steep grade. Probably could of made it in the MH, but the DW would have been screaming.

Different state but basically been there, done that, Sign said NO COMMERCIAL vehicles, did not say No trucks. or Cars only.

The hardest part (For me) in navigating those roads is the distracting noise from the shotgun seat. I keep telling her that she is making things worse but she is incapable of listening, or shutting up or not radiating hostility, all of which makes it way harder on me.

I have offered to let her drive if she don't quit, but hey.. That don't work either. (She also scares me when she drives, likes to tailgate).
Old 08-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

The hardest part (For me) in navigating those roads is the distracting noise from the shotgun seat. I keep telling her that she is making things worse but she is incapable of listening, or shutting up or not radiating hostility, all of which makes it way harder on me.

I have offered to let her drive if she don't quit, but hey.. That don't work either. (She also scares me when she drives, likes to tailgate).
"Passenger Side Air Bag"

Old 08-21-2012, 12:23 AM   #23
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'll have to check again, but my registration on my MH says, "Passenger Vehicle." Texas registration on trucks says "Truck"
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I'll have to check again, but my registration on my MH says, "Passenger Vehicle." Texas registration on trucks says "Truck"
Most likely. Its that way in a lot of states. Some, however do it as 'RV' others 'Trucks'.. Makes it hard
Old 08-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cops make mistakes enforcing those regulations too. Clearly a private motorhome is not a commercial vehicle. But who wants to go to court to make a point and win? Easier to do what the officer says - or to avoid a confrontation in the first place.

I have driven on a "No Trucks" route when there seemed to be no alternative, but if I have an alternative, I'll take it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
I know that in Chicago, "No Trucks" means just that. Even an El Camino can get a ticket. Happened to a friend of mine on Sheridan Road..
they go by the license plates. A pickup or van with a "B" plate is a truck.
The same pickup or van with an "RV" plate is not a truck.
My RV is not a truck.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys
I'm on a Freightliner Chassis with a Cat Engine, both identified on the body of the coach. It's a tough argument with County Mounties that it isn't a truck if he has a quota to meet. So if it says No Trucks and nothing else I find another way. There is a street marked No Trucks on my way home and no other reasonable way to get back here and I take it, but it would still be a hard sell.

The only place it can really be argued is in court, what a hassle.

Dick
Again, a truck is licensed as a truck. Vehicles carrying RV plates are not trucks. Not that I have a problem with those who serve and protect... but they are there to uphold the law, not bring in their next paycheck on the backs of out-a-towners.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
In Illinios, its 2 seats and 4 wheels which makes it a 'truck'. Had a minivan cargo that got licenced the same way as it only had 2 seats.
This must be strange for people who own roadster convertibles to be registered as trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Cops make mistakes enforcing those regulations too. Clearly a private motorhome is not a commercial vehicle.
I wonder if anyone has gotten caught up in the California law cited above where they view the assets of a corporation (LLC) to be commercial by their very nature. It actually seems to have some logic to it. If a MH is owned by a corporation and is providing tax benefits to that corporation, it seems hard to argue that the coach is a "private motorhome".

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote