RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2018, 10:22 PM   #29

Foretravel Owners Club
When asked what the true build cost of a quality manufactured Class A DP..
just compare the length of time the manufacturer has the individual unit on the assembly line...
Is it two/three/four or five weeks? or is it four/five/six or even seven MONTHS???
The more complex the Coach.....The longer it takes to build.. the higher the expected Qualities and of course the higher labor costs.

saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2018, 06:34 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
When asked what the true build cost of a quality manufactured Class A DP..
just compare the length of time the manufacturer has the individual unit on the assembly line...
Is it two/three/four or five weeks? or is it four/five/six or even seven MONTHS???
The more complex the Coach.....The longer it takes to build.. the higher the expected Qualities and of course the higher labor costs.
I would not make that assumption. It might work for a one off but any competent system designer would have most of the work done as sub assemblies away from the final production line in shop areas dedicated to the type of work being done. The dedicated shop can produce better quality faster than trying to build in place. Even a fairly customized coach like Newmar can do that relatively easily. The final assembly time where all the parts meet is relatively short. What you really want to know it total man hours. I expect that is reflected in the price along with the cost of more expensive materials.

nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:26 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
I went by my dealer last fall to pick up a build sheet on a RED that we were considering ordering and the salesman gave me the dealer invoice sheet by mistake instead of the MSRP sheet that we are used to getting. I was shocked at how little is left after a 28-30% discount. The dealerships discounting that much aren't keeping the doors open with just sales.

Lol.... Oldest trick in dealer book. " oh sorry you weren't see that" makes you think you are getting a great deal but doesn't show the big percentage the dealer gets back at the end of the month
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:47 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Suffice it to say the cost of building a motor home plus ancillary costs has to be less than what they sell it for. Otherwise they go out of business. At issue will be how they are financing. If they are running on the banks money we will be paying for it. Great to see everyone building new and improved facilities but if financed they come at an extra cost that the purchaser will end up paying for.