RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2017, 07:13 AM   #29

Thor Owners Club
My guess is that GyPSy (our name) is right about 98-99 percent of the time. It's still amazing that this little unit can connect to satellites above, has hundreds of thousands of pre-set parks, food places, gas stations, attractions, millions of miles of roads, thousands and thousands of speed limit sign changes, etc. stored in it's memory and sell for a couple hundred dollars.

We do have paper maps that we use to check and verify routes while underway. For me, the best use of a GPS is in larger cities where paper maps may not have a good map insert. Before heading out I will check out the route on Google maps. Then I will try to figure out where I'll be in about 350 miles or so. I search for gas stations, zoom up to see if they are easy enough to get in and out of. Having a large gas motorhome, I try to avoid stations that are perpendicular to the convenience store.

One major item that wasn't mentioned is how often people update the information. I'm guilty of that myself. I've let years go by without doing that. In that time, many things can change.

RayDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyCamper View Post
https://youtu.be/nmqMWvEsgIY

My problem is when my common sense kicks in and I ignore the GPS, DW has to make a call about who she trusts more...Guess who she picks?

Old 09-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #31

Does any one use a tablet and Waze for navigation ?
aotv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:41 PM   #32

I use Waze, but only for traffic information. I have had a few issues with it's navigation.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:59 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Waze is great....if you're in a car. I wouldn't use it to navigate a motorhome.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:12 AM   #34
IC2

My 'fantastic' Garmin 760RV, complete with recently updated maps and even with the correct navigation, fewest miles and in car mode, checked off wants to send us from where we are currently in Scarborough, Maine 100 miles out of the way South to Portsmouth, NH so we can then turn North to Littleton NH which is only about 90 miles North from our current location via US 302. Last week, instead of (still in Maine) it put us on US 1 from Booth Bay to the Freeport-Durham KOA instead of I 295. Since I didn't have the 5er attached, didn't really care but the bumps on US 1 rattled the fillings in my teeth. Oh and US 1 to Lubec Maine - terrible and why we didn't go further North. Then there was that off road GPS lead experience in New Brunswick - a decent country back road that just ended in a farm two track. Did I ever say how I liked backing a fairly long 5er a quarter mile to a driveway where I could turn around?
Old 09-14-2017, 09:38 AM   #35

We are "new" to GPS... My 15 Silverado has a "Nice Lady in the Dash" that talks when we let her... We ALWAYS know where we are going before we leave..... Last year going into a rv park in Kingman,,, I was already slowing down to the exit ramp when a newer small class C blew by us,, cut in front and took the exit... We just watched.. We got up where you could see the big overhead sign straight ahead to the (NICE) rv park, the class C turned right down a dead end road, when we got up there, the 'lady in the dash' told us to turn right also... We just laughed,,, looking at the Big sign,,, went straight into the park, signed in, was parked and unhooking when I saw them pull up to the office.... Funny.... These were the same people the next morning I saw ready to pull out,, both in the front seats with seat belts on, I quickly walked over and told them the shore power cord was still hooked up... What did they say??? Ya We know..... Whatever... I did my nice for the day,,, even though they didn't seem to appreciatte it... Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:39 PM   #36

American Coach Owners Club
We call our GPS "Hyacinthia".
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:08 PM   #37

If I posted what I call the GPS directions, I would be shortly banned.

Tags
gps, rust