RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2017, 07:15 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Trusting GPS units Blindly gets you this

SHAFER TRAIL Switchbacks in Canyonlands National Park

The National Park Service (NPS) is shedding some light on the semi-tractor and trailer that got stuck on Shafer Trail in Canyonlands National Park on Friday, Sept. 1 ó and according to park officials, the errant driverís reliance on GPS resulted in the truck blocking visitor access for a number of hours.

According to NPS, the truck was operated by a transportation company in California and was headed from the west coast to the Intrepid Potash facility for a pick-up. The driver of the truck, which was empty when it turned onto Shafer Trail, claimed that his GPS unit instructed him to take the route on U.S. Highway 313 that led to the trail and then down to the potash facility.

That route, as it turned out, was not the best way to go.
The driver, who managed to detach his tractor from the trailer and venture down the trail before getting his rear axle stuck over the edge of a cliff, eventually called for help and, after an assessment by NPS rangers and Moab-based Nation's Towing, the tractor was turned around and the trailer backed up, clearing the trail for use.

The driver, who NPS officials declined to name, was not issued a citation in relation to the incident. (Courtesy photo)

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2017, 07:31 PM   #2

Anyone who follows a GPS route that takes them off pavement is asking for trouble .
You want to program BEST route not the shortest .
Canadian couple ( BC ) followed a GPS route off highway to save 11 MILES ! cost the husband his life , after they got stuck , and he tried to walk out ( with the GPS ) and somehow his wife survived 7 weeks at the vehicle before rescue.
His body discovered 2 years later.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #3

I like that "guaranteed" is misspelled on that sign. Tends to make me believe it.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:27 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
SO many variables in both these stories....
First, is the trucker's word to be trusted ?

Did the trucker have a CAR GPS, did he have 10 yr old maps, what was mfg of gps (obviously not a good one )????
If a trucker's gps, did he have it set for the length, etc...

If proper parameters are set and properly programmed with up to the date maps, I have no issue trusting my RV gps after years of it proving itself...

I have been in ONE, yes, ONE tight spot - after review I found I missed a quick turn command and ended up having to disconnet the toad as I entered an army base on accident !

Think about it, airplanes follow gps guidance, SAILBOATS and motor yachts follow GPS guidance through reefs, etc... so some of them tend to work
Old 09-10-2017, 03:57 PM   #5

Trust but verify. No one should rely on a single source for navigation.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:07 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I've been on the Shaffer Trail several times, and you can get to the potash plant that way, but it's crazy that a gps would route anyone that way. There's a paved road to the plant right off of US191.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shaffer Trail Switchbacks.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	451.4 KB
ID:	176161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shaffer Trail Switchbacks2.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	488.6 KB
ID:	176162  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shaffer Trail.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	387.1 KB
ID:	176163  
Old 09-10-2017, 06:26 PM   #7

This sort of thing goes both ways, I was on my way to an Arkansas state park campground a couple of weeks ago and had my GPS tell me that it was 54 miles away when the roadside sign said the park was 12 miles away. The GPS wanted to take me the long way around all on major highways, and not down the less than 2 mile long secondary state highway to the main entrance to the park. Now I admit once I turned onto that little highway I had a few second thoughts due to overhanging trees, sharp curves, etc, but I got there.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
I like that "guaranteed" is misspelled on that sign. Tends to make me believe it.
That was my reaction when I saw the photo too; you're far enough off the beaten track that education is hit and miss.

Note: On the trust but verify , on my usual route south on I-5 , I keep the GPS on mostly for lane assist and distance remaining ; Samantha ( RM female voice , has been known to frequent bars ) tried to take me off highway to a surface road an exit early , near as I can figure , distance savings was about 100 yards.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:53 PM   #9

So far I have been down a Forest Service dirt road with a 42 foot MH and took a lovely tour of a local airport. Samantha, our GPS, can get a little squirrelly sometimes and can't be trusted. You just have to know who your dealing with.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:52 PM   #10

It is always interesting some of the side trips GPS's want you to make, like taking an exit off the interstate just to stop at the bottom of the ramp and pull right back onto the same highway.

I guess though they think they know best, driving down a scenic highway in Wyoming a few weeks ago mine apparently thought I needed a break, as it told me to pull off into a roadside rest area, and when I skipped taking the break it kept telling me to make a U-turn until I turned it off and forced it to recalculate the route to the original destination.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:34 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I call her Garmellda. I think there is times she is ready to swear at me. Re calculating!
Old 09-10-2017, 09:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
I call her Garmellda. I think there is times she is ready to swear at me. Re calculating!

I'm sure that the " Re Calculating " is just the GPS's way of saying .

" Next time I say turn ... TURN !{ self edit } "
Old 09-10-2017, 09:44 PM   #13
Decrepit Forum Advocate

My opinion ...and my "opinion" only: The truck driver probably initially gave the excuse that his GPS had him being routed through the Shafer Trial road. However, as has been said, anybody familiar with Canyonlands has to realize that no GPS would route anybody to Intrepid Potash through the NP and Shafer Trail. There's an obvious direct route from both the north --coming in from I-70-- and from the south coming in on US191 to Intrepid Potash.

As the Moab local paper reported, he simply made a "wrong turn" (as we all have done at one time or another) as they didn't mention the GSP at all.

I think he initially tried to save face by telling a park employee that "the GPS told me to do it" to save himself some embarrassment.

Semi-truck, trailer gets stuck on Shafer Trail -- Trailer was removed Monday when local company towed it out
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 09:51 PM   #14

Can't tell what company, but many are bringing in many who don't speak English, spending one week teaching them how to pass the driver exam and pass the CDL written. Then four weeks of school and 6 weeks OTR training, then 3rd party CDL testing and you now have a professional truck driver.

Tags
gps, rust