RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2019, 07:52 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevensdad View Post
Try again and ask for Jesse.
He's the one that approved my set up, as is, for a pair of their BB1012s.

Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2019, 09:30 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinerant1 View Post
I believe they need it to balance and reset the capacity to 100% or eventually their soc capacity reading would be lying to them.

Awhile ago in another thread someone had dropins and was charging to a lower voltage and over time his capacity was off until he charged to 14.4-.6

Out of curiosity with 10 years of experience is this with a battery built then and still being used today?
You have a point , lower amp draw stuff they top balance , high amperes we bottom balance, these are in an electric car. They get charged 3 times a day on average. But why wouldn't the cells balance at 3.5 juzt as well as 3.65? The batteries were just bought off alibaba. No bms, no special charger, just the original lead acid charger, plugged into a series of two wall timers for safety. And yes , the car is still used everyday as an only car. Out of 25 cells 1 was lost over the years due to abuse, totally flattening them before getting home on many occasions. A few times in hot weather the charger doesn't turn on and just out of habit we'll jump in and go without looking to see if it actually charged up. Assumptions, the mother of all screwups.

shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:48 PM   #59

The mother of all screw ups is knowing that you're smarter than everyone else.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:05 PM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My system is a little different in that the battery pack is from a Nissan leaf, but my Victron inverter/charger runs a pretty standard bulk/absorb/float charging process that protects lithium batteries from over charge. The equipment wasn't cheap but neither are lithium batteries. If you want straight answers about your system requirements, call Randy at BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	796FCD75-87A0-4D2A-9551-E477AE581746.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	264278  
Old 10-20-2019, 10:11 PM   #61

I, too, am considering buying the Battle Borns. They are probably cost-effective since Trojan T-105s cost in the neighborhood of $250 each and would need 4 of them. The issue is the cost of the initial investment as well as with getting a new inverter/charger that is physically much larger than the one I currently have.

My understanding is that the "charger" they are referring to is charging the LIs with the engine alternator, not the charger built into the inverter/charger, to avoid overcharging. The LIs charge much faster than flooded cells, so all you have to do is plug in at the campground or run your generator for an hour or so to fully charge. I guess the alternator would only be used to charge the engine batteries, which are not LIs. They also do not recommend using the LIs to start the generator or engine because of the high amperage required.
jaysigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:26 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
The mother of all screw ups is knowing that you're smarter than everyone else.
Not everyone, just you. Haha
Old 10-20-2019, 11:31 PM   #63

Not so far.
We are waiting for the technology to mature.

That, and those pesky fires and their re-ignition on the tow-trucks, then re-igniting a third time in the impound yards or body-repair shops.
But those were probably just 'flukes', and should not condemn an entire industry.

Of course, as usual, if I was involved, I would automatically presume 'operator error'.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:26 AM   #64

Quote:
I believe they need it to balance and reset the capacity to 100% or eventually their soc capacity reading would be lying to them.

Awhile ago in another thread someone had dropins and was charging to a lower voltage and over time his capacity was off until he charged to 14.4-.6

Out of curiosity with 10 years of experience is this with a battery built then and still being used today?
One more point of interest, the batteries were not hurt by leaving them short of full. In the long term it will add more years to their life. I am pretty sure apple does just that to get the incredible life out of their iphone batteries. They just cut them off earlier at the top and bottom as to their state of charge and discharge. They are likely a bit larger than their advertised capacity.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:12 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMarge View Post
Not so far.

We are waiting for the technology to mature.

That, and those pesky fires and their re-ignition on the tow-trucks, then re-igniting a third time in the impound yards or body-repair shops.

But those were probably just 'flukes', and should not condemn an entire industry.

Of course, as usual, if I was involved, I would automatically presume 'operator error'.

Probably different chemistry but .. post up a link . Thinking your confused at this point
Old 10-21-2019, 10:19 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
I am sure your Magnum MS 2812 is an awesome deep draw lead acid battery charger. It's modern microprocessor controlled system produces an optimum charging profile.

However, don't try to use it to charge a lithium battery unless the lithium battery has it's own charge controller. The Battle Born "Drop in Replacements" do have their own charge controllers. It is designed to change what ever your Magnum applies to it and alter it to what the lithium battery needs.

The only parameters one needs to consider in connecting a Battle Born to any lead acid charger is; Does it have enough current capacity to efficiently charge the Battle Born? Does the high and low voltage output of the lead acid battery charger fall within the limits of the BB internal charge controller?
I agree not to charge a lithium battery.
I am currently using AGM and plan to stay with them.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl.swoyer View Post
I agree not to charge a lithium battery.
Why??? Do either of you have this unit or understand how it works with the remote control for settings?
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:42 AM   #68

Why all the talk about Bulk, Absorption and Float? That is ONLY for lead acid type batteries. LI uses a steady voltage into the BMS. They will charge in a lot les time because of that. Storing them at about a 60% charge will extend the number of charge cycles they will accept. The BMS controls the charge and safety of the battery. It monitors each cell individually to make sure the cells are equal and there is no thermal runaway. It also will not allow the battery to be charged if it is below freezing. BB saying to disconnect the charger I believe is for safety when in storage, just in case the BMS failed.
Masterbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:52 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
Not everyone, just you. Haha
Thanks for making my point.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:34 PM   #70

Quote:
Why??? Do either of you have this unit or understand how it works with the remote control for settings?
Very simple. I have a Magnum Ms 2812 inverter charger which is capable of being programed to accommodate several battery types.
That being said lithium batteries is not in the programming option.
So I know enough to know not to use my charge off the magnum on any lithium battery.

carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lithium