Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2015, 11:37 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try before I buy. Rental?

I have not purchased a MH yet and still unsure if I will even like it, so wanted to know my options.

What we are thinking, as driving it is not the question, it is more the destination life style. Does anyone know if you can rent a 40+ MH already in a park(Florida) for a week to try it out?
ssignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2015, 11:48 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I'm sure you can. We rented several styles of motorhomes, class c to gassers to a 38DP, we wanted to know if the difference in price was worth it. It is for us. We ended up with a 40 DP and love it, however, we do alot more driving than it seems you want to do. W

We found all ours on a local online ad, and the DP was about 200/day. We found several that would drive and set it up where you wanted it, and come back and get it after you're done, but we were very interested in seeing how these different coach classes drove. Check CraigsList for the location where you want it set up, I'm sure there is somethign fitting your needs.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:17 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
I'm sure you can. We rented several styles of motorhomes, class c to gassers to a 38DP, we wanted to know if the difference in price was worth it. It is for us. We ended up with a 40 DP and love it, however, we do alot more driving than it seems you want to do. W

We found all ours on a local online ad, and the DP was about 200/day. We found several that would drive and set it up where you wanted it, and come back and get it after you're done, but we were very interested in seeing how these different coach classes drove. Check CraigsList for the location where you want it set up, I'm sure there is somethign fitting your needs.
TonyMac it is more that we don't want to rent one and have to figure out a toad situation to just see if we would even like being in an MH once it is parked in the RV park or CG. Once we decide if we like that part then test driving would be next.
ssignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:59 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If it's the destination lifestyle you want to check out, what difference does a 40 ft MH make vs a trailer or whatever? Many parks have rental RVs available, so pick a park you think you might enjoy and ask them about onsite rentals.

Be aware that the style of various parks often differs dramatically. Some are snowbird oriented, with lots of winter season activities and not much at other times, some cater mostly to transients and have little sense of community
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:37 AM   #5

A year ago this week, we ordered our new Tiffin 31SA which is our first RV.

In the thread below, I posted my thoughts on renting as part of the decision process on page 4 ( we did not rent one) and on page 5, I provided some insight on some of our decision criteria.

While we are not interested in the seasonal sunbird type park / lifestyle, (at least at this point) I think it may still be helpful.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/rent...-a-268345.html

As a side note, some of the sunbird destination parks in FL (which seems to be most of them) have Park models for rent.

Regards and good luck!
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:41 AM   #6
Community Moderator

This service operates out of Florida....if memory serves, they have 40' class A MH and 5th wheels......so you can try both if you choose.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1449150021.222079.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	113238
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:22 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
My 2 cents worth. As I have told many folks that think they want a motorhome. Go rent one for at lest 2 weeks and travel with wife to make sure both of you enjoy to travel and can be together for 2 weeks in the confines of a motorhome. If you are a person that gas mileage is a big issue, don't buy a motorhome. How many miles do you plan on driving a year? If it is just to travel somewhere in the winter and park, think about a trailer / 5th wheel. We are on our 4th motorhome and purchased this one in 2004 new because we knew we were travelers instead of campers. We now have 105,500 miles on it, so we average about 10,000 miles a year. I just retired in 2013 so we travel more miles per year now. To go out and purchase a motorhome and then find out it isn't for one of you, that is very costly. I think you are wise to want to rent first.
belanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:50 AM   #8

Excellent post by belanga. You don't have to rent what you ultimately buy to get a sense of rv'ing. We rented 2 class c's and a 31' class a before buying a used 38' 5th wheel. We took the class c's and class a on vacations before buying. We got familiar with the systems and being in a small space. You will also become familiar with floorplans and what you may want. You really don't know what floorplan is liveable to you until you spend time in it. My 2 cents is rent a couple of rv's first, then buy a quality used unit. You could spend a boat load of $$ and find the floorplan doesn't work for you.
I will give you a warning, after we bought our 5th wheel and took it on a couple of vacations we found we did not want to go home. We quit our jobs, sold the house and went fulltime. It can change your life!
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote