Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2019, 01:20 PM   #1

Trying Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax

I've been using Meguiars Cleaner Paste Wax for years on my cars and RV's/boats/etc for years with good success. I'm 64 now and the thought of paste waxing my car and truck is bad enough, but the 30' 5th wheel is getting daunting! After watching a couple professional detailers make fun of my "old fashioned" paste wax on YouTube and slam it's longevity I decided to try something new. I've settled on Meguiars Marine/RV Color Restorer for the cleaning/polishing phase (as necessary) and Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax for protection. The pros are high on ceramic coatings for long term protection. While this isn't a "coating", I assume it's a cross between a coating and a wax. The application process is easy with the initial base coat just spray on and wipe off. After a base coat they say after washing just spay it on your wet rig and rinse it off with water. Sounds too good to be true. We'll see.

Got the base coat on. Really easy application. It does seem to remove light water streaking with ease, so I may not need the cleaner. First pleasant surprise is after some hard rains there is NO streaking from roof runoff. I did clean and treat the rubber roof recently, but I've always experienced some streaking from rain water runoff in the past with paste wax, especially on the front cap, so I take this as a good sign.

If anyone is interested I'll provide updates on how it holds up. At some point I'm going to put it on the hood of my truck side-by-side with the Meguiars paste wax to see how they compare in terms of longevity.
dougrc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2019, 01:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrc12 View Post
I've been using Meguiars Cleaner Paste Wax for years on my cars and RV's/boats/etc for years with good success. I'm 64 now and the thought of paste waxing my car and truck is bad enough, but the 30' 5th wheel is getting daunting! After watching a couple professional detailers make fun of my "old fashioned" paste wax on YouTube and slam it's longevity I decided to try something new. I've settled on Meguiars Marine/RV Color Restorer for the cleaning/polishing phase (as necessary) and Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax for protection. The pros are high on ceramic coatings for long term protection. While this isn't a "coating", I assume it's a cross between a coating and a wax. The application process is easy with the initial base coat just spray on and wipe off. After a base coat they say after washing just spay it on your wet rig and rinse it off with water. Sounds too good to be true. We'll see.

Got the base coat on. Really easy application. It does seem to remove light water streaking with ease, so I may not need the cleaner. First pleasant surprise is after some hard rains there is NO streaking from roof runoff. I did clean and treat the rubber roof recently, but I've always experienced some streaking from rain water runoff in the past with paste wax, especially on the front cap, so I take this as a good sign.

If anyone is interested I'll provide updates on how it holds up. At some point I'm going to put it on the hood of my truck side-by-side with the Meguiars paste wax to see how they compare in terms of longevity.

I'm listening .. .. I'm particularly interested in whether it leaves white residue in swirls/scratches on dark paint.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrc12 View Post

Please keep me in the loop on how it's holding up. Thanks
Dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:53 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Wax on! Always great when someone else does the work while we watch.
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:59 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Today's polishes are Polymer formulas that can last for several months. I have been using Starbrite marine polish on my boat and RV for years. It lasts about a year on the trailer and so far the decals are still not cracked or faded. Bugs just slide off, mostly just with the spray from the hose.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
I'm listening .. .. I'm particularly interested in whether it leaves white residue in swirls/scratches on dark paint.
My Arctic Fox is an off white so I'm not sure how much help I can be with that assessment, but the decals are dark and there has been absolutely no streaking. After spaying a small amount of the wax on the wet surface, I use one micro fiber towel to mix it with the water and spread it evenly over the surface. Then I use another micro fiber towel to dry the surface. When the drying towel gets too damp I replace it with a dry one. Even if I do not fully dry the surface light amounts left behind dry on their own fine without leaving any residue. You don't want to use too much of this. It's meant to mix with the water during application.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:26 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm contemplating using a hybrid ceramic type wax on our white unpainted fiberglass roof next week. We'll see. Good to hear it's working for you
tarheel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:46 PM   #8
IC2

I'm interested.

I generally use a Meguire's wax on the 5er (it's a bit longer then the OPs at 38 feet plus I'm older too). I just put some Rejex on two of the slides for a trial as well as the nose. Not happy with how those slide look so it will come off for a Meguire's waxing soon. The nose cap looks good though but that is a base coat/clear coat repaint instead of colored Filon siding.

If the Meguire's ceramic works well --- I will give it a try.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:40 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I switched from Nu Finish to Meguiar's Cleaner Wax a few years ago. Great stuff, easy on, easy off, no white residue...and less than $7 a bottle at Wally World.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:59 PM   #10

I don't a caravan yet but should by next weekend. I do use Meguiars products for all my car detailing. They have a great line of products for cleaning, waxing, sealing. I am glad they are working out for you. I will have to learn now to do my caravan when it arrives. My old hands are going to be hurting.
WyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I switched from Nu Finish to Meguiar's Cleaner Wax a few years ago. Great stuff, easy on, easy off, no white residue...and less than $7 a bottle at Wally World.
I tried Nu Finish a couple years ago on this 5th wheel. It smelled like gasoline to me. Your not supposed to get it on your decals or rubber/plastic surfaces, so that was a pain. The disaster though was it reacted with my ADCO cover over the Winter, leaving dark patches all of the side of the RV that had the most weather exposure (contact between the RV and cover plus rain). It was a mess to clean up in the Spring, but luckily came off pretty easily.
Old 07-08-2019, 11:27 AM   #12

Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax Status

Here is a Youtube link to a video for those of you seriously interested in this product. It's long but has some good answers as to what this product is and how best to use it. I believe it's a Meguiars product manager doing the talking.

A few more Summer rain showers have fallen here. I continue to be very impressed with the lack of streaking from roof runoff. Application is extremely easy, wipe on wipe off. There is no cleaner in this product so the surface must be clean and polished to your requirements before applying. I have not detected any increase in shine after applying it. Protective layer only. As stated in my original post I am used Meguiars Marine/RV Color Restore for cleaning and polishing where necessary. It's much easier to work with than standard buffing compounds and does a very nice job of removing light oxidation and restoring the shine. My oxidation was minimal if any, but it did clean and add some shine to the areas that I used it.

After watching the Youtube video I think I'll buy another wash brush but dedicate it to applying this wax. Once the base coat is on (wipe on, wipe off) you are supposed to be able to maintain it by applying it to the wet surface and rinsing off, but I think I'll add the step of spreading it around with this brush before rinsing it off with water and see how that does with maintaining protection. You do not want to let this dry. It needs to be rinsed or wiped off immediately. I'll give this a try on the front and rear caps at the next washing and keep the updates coming as long as there's interest.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:15 PM   #13

I have a Newmar Baystar that is dark brown... used this stuff and it is amazing. No white residue and is a breeze to apply. Word of warning... don’t let it sit too long before you wipe it off or there is a little more elbow grease require. I used two micro fiber cloths on sweepers with handles and it is a breeze. Waxed my 31 foot in a couple of hours.
Blazeman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazeman45 View Post
I have a Newmar Baystar that is dark brown... used this stuff and it is amazing. No white residue and is a breeze to apply. Word of warning... don’t let it sit too long before you wipe it off or there is a little more elbow grease require. I used two micro fiber cloths on sweepers with handles and it is a breeze. Waxed my 31 foot in a couple of hours.
"Micro fiber towels on sweepers...". Great idea! I'll give that a try. Thanks for sharing!