Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2018, 11:17 AM   #1

Trying to be realistic

Hello all, I have been lurking on these boards for a while and gathering all kinds of valuable information, for which I am truly grateful. We are trying to make a decision about what to buy. I know this is a popular topic and no one can decide but us. However, I think we have narrowed down what we need. With limited time off each month I don't care to buy something expensive that sits at a storage facility. I have researched Newmar, Entegra and American Coach, but just don't think that of level financial commitment makes sense.I realize this is a purchase that only loses money and I can accept that. We are looking for a Class A, preferably diesel and new since neither of us is mechanically inclined. Can anyone recommend a reliable coach ? We will be traveling with two Great Danes. Thank you, so for the long post.
Smmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2018, 11:25 AM   #2

Whatever manufacturer you decide upon, you first need to pick a floor plan the you love and stick to your guns... you stated you have done some research so I hope a floor plan is at the top of your list! Create a pro/con list of all the different models. Have you attended a RV Expo to view models upfront? Go to several dealers to narrow your search. Good luck!
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:34 PM   #3

With RV's new does not equate to everything works, and it needs no work. Often you will find a better deal on a used coach that has been well maintained and updated. If nothing else you can use some of that money you saved paying someone to fix it.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:11 PM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
My wife BJ and I started researching about 3 years ago. We found out a lot about RVs in general, researched both Class C and Class A. We eventually decided to go Class A for space. We narrowed down the choices by looking at lots of sites where RVs were rated by their previous owners and those that own them now. We went onto sites like this one, RVT, RVTrader etc to find out what we could buy with our budget less 25%, the 25% being for upgrades, repairs, additions, taxes and inspections. After narrowing down our floor plans, options, length etc, we arrived at 4 coaches and started shopping from there. We had our favourite brand picked, and eventually after lots of internet searches, found the coach we purchased within 100 miles with a toad included in the price!
They are not new by any means, Rig is a 2000 and toad is a 2002. But at $40K (after 12k invested in brakes, shocks, stabilizers, tires etc) we can afford to have it in the driveway. However, we will be on the road lots as we are retiring this summer and headed to Mexico this winter. No doubt we will upgrade the toad 1st as we have to sell our present car because it doesn’t tow 4 down. If we really like the lifestyle after a few years, we may upgrade the Rig. But that’s not in our thoughts as we upgrade and perfect our present ride and make it ours. New digital TVs, upgrade inverter, new backsplash and faucets in kitchen and bath, shine and polish. Maybe fix up the existing graphics as per other conversations in these forums.
So, happy shopping, starting with your budget, then your research, then finally your search.
Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 04-18-2018, 04:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smmast View Post
I have researched Newmar, Entegra and American Coach, but just don't think that of level financial commitment makes sense.I realize this is a purchase that only loses money and I can accept that. We are looking for a Class A, preferably diesel and new since neither of us is mechanically inclined. Can anyone recommend a reliable coach ?
You can still get a Newmar, Entegra or American Coach in a used model and the kinks would be worked out already. We had very good luck with our Newmar which we bought new for a fraction of what they cost now and if we were in the market today, we'd buy a used one. The new prices are much too expensive and they now come with so many gadgets/computerizing/slides/bathrooms which makes more to go wrong.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:40 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will second buying a used coach that has been updated/seasoned.

Diesel coaches tend to have many more system(s) that may need repair. Age aside... be prepared for some salty repair estimates.

Also you should really figure out what kinda mileage youre going to be driving. I see no reason to spend $100,000+ more for a diesel coach if youre only driving 4-8,000 miles in a year.

One guy I used to park next to had 15,000 miles on his 2004 coach. I used to let him run his mouth how superior his chassis was to my gasser. (with 60,000). There is no doubt he paid (and probably is still paying) alot more for his. The purchase price was just the starting point for me. Ive been through tires, 13 oil changes, brakes, plugs, etc. Lets not forget the 7,000+ gallons of fuel burnt. Im well into the 200+ weekends worth of trips.
They both do 65 mph just fine.
Im sure if he could really afford to use it... he wouldnt have a paltry 15,000 miles on it.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Hello all, I have been lurking on these boards for a while and gathering all kinds of valuable information, for which I am truly grateful. We are trying to make a decision about what to buy. I know this is a popular topic and no one can decide but us. However, I think we have narrowed down what we need. With limited time off each month I don't care to buy something expensive that sits at a storage facility. I have researched Newmar, Entegra and American Coach, but just don't think that of level financial commitment makes sense.I realize this is a purchase that only loses money and I can accept that. We are looking for a Class A, preferably diesel and new since neither of us is mechanically inclined. Can anyone recommend a reliable coach ? We will be traveling with two Great Danes. Thank you, so for the long post.
We started down that road before we bought our current unit. One of the issues of diesel A pushers that did not comfort me was the thought of a grease-covered mechanic having to obtain access by being inside the living quarters. No offense to the working man, that is part of the job, but bringing that into the "house" is problematic.

If we change out from what we currently use we might go to a "Super C" along the lines of a Dynaquest XL DynaQuest XL Class C Motorhomes by Dynamax

Aside from better driving attributes and aerodynamics, having the engine in an engine compartment not situated under the living quarters makes maintenance and repair much simpler. And, I do not think that anyone would say that these are substandard (to an A) in convenience and comfort attributes.

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5K
Gray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:37 PM   #8

Foretravel Owners Club
Keep in mind..
Your 1st coach is a learning tool..
BUY USED! & buy one with everything you "think" you want and will need..
As You will make mistakes and have booboo's We all have.....(sometimes more than twice..)
Within a year or two you will discover..about the RV

What you love about the RV...
What you can kinda-sorta tolerate with the RV..
And what you absolutely hate about that !@#$%^%$#@! RV.
Then you can go get what you should have gotten in the first place..
Happy Hunting
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:38 PM   #9

Make a list

My wife and I purchased our fourth and final Coach last July. We had put together a list of MUST HAVES and found three vehicles that matched our requirements. The list took us several months to make. The three models were:

1. Winnebago Forza
2. Tiffin Allegro Red
3. Holiday Rambler Endeavor

We ended up buying a Phaeton. Go figure. However, it DID have all of our requirements.
Chadrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:00 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Floor plan, floor plan, floor plan. If one of you doesn't like the floor plan, no need to go any further. What are the tanks sizes, total cabinet space, shower size, counter space.

Imagine your out camping, you both want to relax at night, watch some TV, read the paper. Do you want a rig with two recliners, or a recliner and a couch or as my parents always wanted were two couches.

When we were kicking tires for a new RV trailer. I had to have at least a 65" couch. Because, I like watching TV or read laying down on the couch. The 48" & 54" couch floor plans, I was not going to buy period. Same for the shower, we had a tiny 26" corner shower, there was no way I would buy another unit with a tiny shower stall.

It took every bit of 18 months of tire kicking and internet surfing to find the right unit. Then another 6 months to pull the trigger. And then 4500 miles RT to pick up the unit....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:03 PM   #11

Quote:
With limited time off each month I don't care to buy something expensive that sits at a storage facility.

We are looking for a Class A, preferably diesel and new since neither of us is mechanically inclined.
To me these two statements are mutually exclusive.
Winnebago Forza is probably the best value for an entry level diesel pusher class A.
A new one will hit you around 165k. While a 1 or 2 year used one will be 50k less. I am not sure that falls outside the "expensive and sits in a storage lot".
Old 04-22-2018, 06:29 AM   #12

First off you are going to need 2 couches for the Danes. Then you and your wife can have the rest of the coach maybe.