Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2014, 11:26 AM   #15

Loved reading this thread and am going to get hubby set up to read all the posts and say "SEE"!!! I agree with Dogpatch "It's a control thing".

I hate driving the MH with a passion, but apparently I'm pretty good at it according to many that have ridden with me. Hubby just makes me feel I'm not at the time with his "move over", "don't labour her", "do this, don't do that". I just force myself to do it every once in a while just in case of emergency, or hubby asks me to drive for a bit when in the past we've been pushing longer mileage to get on the last leg home.

I think when you are a driver, whether regular auto or bus, you don't feel the swing as much as when in the passenger seat for one. Not sure if it's the holding of the steering wheel or being more rigid when driving???

Hubby says "I'm feeling tired, will you take over for a bit". Then when I do he doesn't relax in the passenger seat or close his eyes and would never ever go to the back of the coach to lay down

I still think both partners just in case it's ever needed should know how to drive these vehicles though, especially if you enjoy boon docking as we do.

My biggest pet peeve, is hubby hates it when I'm not upfront with him, so I am 99.9% of the time for directions - I tell him to slow down, slow down, slow down as there's an exit or turn coming up, and then he has a go at me when he's passed it Then we have a mini tiff of I said you said (LOL), been same for 33 years.

Best trip ever for me was 45hrs driving over a few days from Montana to Florida in 2009, me in the Durango all alone and he following in MH alone. The peace "ahhhhhh" He hated it and I loved it Every time I stopped he complained he needed to stop half hour before for a pee or I was going too fast, or I changed lanes too quickly.

I didn't, I always thought about him and the bus and being able to get in behind me. Oh well, some things will never change.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2014, 11:33 AM   #16

I'm the only one that ever drives,well on my way to Disney world a couple of weeks ago and my youngest son said let me drive I said oooooook. So we a going down the highway and I decided to go to the restroom. All of a sudden I felt it braking hard I thought I was going to die in the restroom. He did real good a truck dropped a hay bail roll and a car hit it you could not even see the car under the hay.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
Now you know how us passengers feel.

I've begged to drive but have not been granted that privilege yet. While I've not driven anything as large as our coach & toad, I've hauled horses, pulled loaded hay wagons, driven farm equipment & towed boats.

Sigh....
After reviewing your resume, we have decided to accept your application as our new coach driver. If you need anything once the trip begins, we will be napping in the bedroom, just give us a holler!

Bruce and Judy
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
As I have become a better driver, my wife has become a better passenger. We both still have room for improvement.
DW has not driven yet. We will do the big parking lot practice thing first and then wait for some open road experience. I think after she drives a bit we will both be improved.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:44 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like I"m not alone. Leila drives great...the problem is me, and as some have pointed out, it might be a "in control" thing....I want to die at my own hand, not someone else's.

We came back from the ocean yesterday in crappy weather, and since she's taking her mom and aunt across a couple passes this coming weekend, we agreed she'd drive back. She's put plenty of miles on our old monaco, but only a few on the country coach.
I'm just glad I'm doing other stuff this weekend...my stress level will be way lower.
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:24 PM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've never ridden over there, but I hear it's scary!

I think the problem is that they forgot to put a steering wheel and brake pedal over there!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:31 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I've never ridden over there, but I hear it's scary!

I think the problem is that they forgot to put a steering wheel and brake pedal over there!
Ok I'm in on this one...the bride of 39 years drives only one thing that's driving me crazy while I attempt to travel own the road in a safe manner. I can not even get her to drive our SUV...it's like driving MS. Daisy with out any music?
I do not know why I send the fees I for her N Y State Drivers Lic? She has a problem and it's a result of a truck blowing a red light and broadsiding our SUV...minor injury things happened but the bride never was the same in driving. I assume she looks at me for the fault or why I could not avoid the dude whacking us?
It is a shame she has had that o deal with and I am sure it is not easy for her but it sure distracts me and at times can be a bit unsafe when she twists , jerks, slams he foot down on a make believe gas or brake pedal.
I thought that if I gave her or suggested the option of her driving she would feel more in control...nope that's not going to happen!
It's just one of those things but if the bride is happy doing what she is doing I'll be happy as well.
So if you see and old fellow and a Bernese Mountain Dog jumping out the window it's because the bride is again on the vehicle war path you will know who it is!
Old 10-29-2014, 02:26 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingslow View Post
My wife does all the driving i just hold the stering wheel
X-2,
Old 10-29-2014, 03:39 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
Now you know how us passengers feel.

I've begged to drive but have not been granted that privilege yet. While I've not driven anything as large as our coach & toad, I've hauled horses, pulled loaded hay wagons, driven farm equipment & towed boats.

Sigh....

Excuse me ? "...have not been granted that privilege yet..."?

Granted by whom? The guy who is a 50% owner of the coach?

"Granted that privilege". Hah!! Tell him to get the hell out of your seat!
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:19 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Piper View Post
Ok I'm in on this one...the bride of 39 years drives only one thing that's driving me crazy while I attempt to travel own the road in a safe manner. I can not even get her to drive our SUV...it's like driving MS. Daisy with out any music?
I do not know why I send the fees I for her N Y State Drivers Lic? She has a problem and it's a result of a truck blowing a red light and broadsiding our SUV...minor injury things happened but the bride never was the same in driving. I assume she looks at me for the fault or why I could not avoid the dude whacking us?
It is a shame she has had that o deal with and I am sure it is not easy for her but it sure distracts me and at times can be a bit unsafe when she twists , jerks, slams he foot down on a make believe gas or brake pedal.
I thought that if I gave her or suggested the option of her driving she would feel more in control...nope that's not going to happen!
It's just one of those things but if the bride is happy doing what she is doing I'll be happy as well.
So if you see and old fellow and a Bernese Mountain Dog jumping out the window it's because the bride is again on the vehicle war path you will know who it is!
Question.... are we married to the same woman?
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:06 AM   #25

I've never been a good passenger because it always seems the passenger seat goes 15 mph faster that the drivers seat.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wish my wife would drive. She refuses. End of discussion.

But my daughter is a piece of work, both of them. My eldest drove the MH for the first time when we were taking a piece of furniture I made for her to her home. It was in a trailer behind the Class A. We pulled into a crowded truck stop and when we went into the space left it was marked as a handicapped zone (never seen one for trucks). I said we cannot stay here and we could not move forward. So as I was getting out to spot for her I said, "put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and what ever direction you want the rear of the trailer to go push the steering wheel in that direction and move slowly". That was her training course. I spotted she did the work and backed it up like she had been doing it all her life.

Wish more women would drive and by the way IMHO women are far easier to train than some of the hard headed egoist I have met in my life.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:38 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingslow View Post
My wife does all the driving i just hold the stering wheel