Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Trying to Drive from the Passenger Seat

Is it just me, or does this happen often.

I'd guess that I do probably 95% of the driving on the motorhome. If I had to guess, I'd think most families are similar, give or take 10%.

But every time Leila drives and I'm in the passenger seat, I find myself cringing because it seems like we're so close to the edge, or coming to a stop sign too quick, or not swinging a corner right etc etc. I feel myself leaning to the left, pushing on the brake, or just closing my eyes.

Don't get me wrong, she's a fine driver, but I think I'm just a bad passenger.

Anyone else have the same experience?

Toni & Leila
2005 Country Coach Inspire 51431
Orting, WA
courtjester is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
Vintage RV Owners Club
I think it will get better with more time...make her drive more.

Martha (AKA RVM45), Bob, and Bess the Border collie
22'Honey Sportscruiser on a 1988 Ford Econoline.
Sometimes towing a powered Parachute.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:43 PM   #3
It is because you do 90% of the driving. You have become acclimated to seeing the relationship of your regular driver's position to the road and roadside "stuff". The new position, from the pass side, contradicts what you have practiced and been used to. It'll never change.
I am constantly on edge when my DW drives. Same feelings as yours even tho I keep telling myself to shut up and enjoy the brief respite from driving. (DOESNT WORK)
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:47 PM   #4
At least your wife will drive, mine started crying when I told her I wanted to go to a big stadium parking lot and have her try driving it. I just want her to be able to drive it in an emergency. She said if that happens she will pay for our son to come out and drive it home....But she does a real good job from the passenger seat telling me how to drive it...haha
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:53 AM   #5
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Perhaps when she is driving it would be a great time for a cat nap on the bed,
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:11 AM   #6
Now you know how us passengers feel.

I've begged to drive but have not been granted that privilege yet. While I've not driven anything as large as our coach & toad, I've hauled horses, pulled loaded hay wagons, driven farm equipment & towed boats.

Karen & Gary
Glamping is not for the faint of heart!
with furkids Gypsy & Cody &
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:35 AM   #7
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
My wife does all the driving i just hold the stering wheel
rollingslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:40 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We split the driving almost 50/50 and if anything the DW drives more. No matter who is driving the other one is saying exactly what the OP pointed out. It seems like the passenger is constantly cringing and politely mentioning that the driver is going around curves a little too fast, approaching a stop sign and not slowing down soon enough or not in the center of the lane. I think it is just the different perspective of the passenger seat and not being in control.

We have about 50,000 miles between the two of us driving our previous 40' or now 42' DP all over the country and plenty of mountain driving, but we both feel a little uncomfortable when we don't have control of that accelerator pedal and/or steering wheel. It certainly makes it much more fun with us splitting up the driving, and we both feel safe with the other one driving, its just that we both have a little bit different style and the belief that each of us know best.

The good news is we are learning to either keep our comments to a minimum and to try and find at least as many if not more Positive comments than Negative comments about the other driving skills to help keep the tension down and the atmosphere in the coach a little more positive which is really important.

2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
2013 Lincoln MKX - Roadmaster Falcon 2 - RVi brake - TireSafe Guard TPMS
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:01 AM   #9
no way will mine drive the coach. She drives a small sports car and was not comfortable driving our pickup truck. The MH is out of the question. It's just easier and safer this way. I relax while driving and she gets to sightsee or do whatever she wants during the trip. Plus she makes me food and brings me drinks when needed
1998 Newmar Dutch Star, 3126B Cat/ Freightliner
2003 Honda Element
" Don't let the same dog bite you twice "
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:03 AM   #10
Originally Posted by rollingslow View Post
Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:22 AM   #11
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
My wife in the passenger seat has all the same symptoms as you only she has never driven any of our coaches. It's a "not in control" thing.
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:14 AM   #12
Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by rollingslow View Post
I've heard that one before, but I still like it!
Seeing this country from ground level.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:25 AM   #13
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My wife was a school bus driver, Professional driver CDL holder, she taught me how to drive the MH. I had used big construction equipment including dump trucks but not over the road.
When she used to drive the MH I felt the same way. She hasn't driven in 3 years. I ask if she will, she says NO. Go figure.
"96" HR Navigator, 38' no slides, Cummins, Allison
next stop
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #14
Not an issue for us. DW is short and the steering column on the F53 doesn't telescope. Also, the driver's seat doesn't go far enough forward for her to reach the pedals and the pedals are too high off the floor for her size 5 feet.

I'm not sure she'd be happy driving a "big" vehicle anyway.

Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote