Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2016, 09:10 PM   #1

TST Monitor vs Digital Gauge Pressure

I have the TST 507 monitor system for my 5er & truck. I also have 2 good digital tire pressure gauges.

The 2 digital pressure gauges read within 1/2 # of each other. The TST system consistently reads 3 to 4 # lower, depending upon the tire, than the 2 gauges.

Questions:
1- Anyone else experience this?
2- Which do you trust?
jimws is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2016, 09:24 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Im not looking for precise accuracy with the TPMS just compatible readings while driving. You can't check what's happening while your driving even with the best most accurate pressure gauge.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:25 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
My TST 507 system reads within 1lbs of my gauge. But John is right. I watching the pressures as I am driving to insure they stay consistent with each other. I do check the TST every morning before I start out but I know they read 1lb low so there is no issue with me. At 1lb or 4lbs there wouldn't be an issue any way as long as you know the difference.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:33 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Any TPMS regardless of brand will generally not be as accurate as your calibrated tire psi gauge PLUS it doesn't have to be. The sole purpose of a TPMS is warn you of a slow leak so you have time to correct the problem.

If not running with a TPMS and you do have a slow leak you WILL destroy the tire and possibly much more once the tire self destructs from heat.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:35 AM   #5

if available, calibrated would be very pricy... and NOT needed.

just make a note of difference... and monitor for a Change,, NOT value.

looking for air leak,, or heat buildup.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:27 AM   #6

There is an old saying, "a man with two watches is never sure what time it is". The same for two tire pressure measurement devices. Just pick one over the other and stay with it for consistency.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:27 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
+1 to all the above. Tpms just tells you about changes. If you try to get it exactly like your accurate gauges you will be chasing air temps the rest of your RV life. (Don't ask me how I know this)
Old 09-24-2016, 12:51 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
TPMS and tire pressure gauges serve two entirely different purposes!

I don't worry that the TPMS is not accurate, just that it does it's job when needed!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Pressure Calibrations are usually performed with Dead Weight Testers (DWT). They have a calibrated cylinder where for a given force on the cylinder produces a given pressure when the cylinder is suspended. To be calibrated the DWT must have traceability to NIST(National institute of Standard Labs) previously known NBS (National Burea of Standards)

To my knowledge the DWT is still the most accurate and repeatable device. At least it was when I performed pressure calibrations years ago. It is accurate and repeatable since it directly uses the formula Pressure = Force/Area.

All that said I use two standard(non-digital) analog pressure gauges and usually split the difference between the two readings. Best I can do without paying for an expensive calibration. I use the analog devices because it more closely uses the Pressure = Force/area concept and although the readings may change over time due to wear, I feel they are my best bet.

Other devices such as pressure sensors or bourdon types have to go through or traceable to a DWT and then on to NIST. The readings can go off if the sensors have malfunctions.

Tire pressures calibration is a waste of time. If there close and don't change much during trip your good to go. I just compare the TST sensor pressures to the avg of two analog gauges. That gets me close.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:59 AM   #10

More probable than than not, somebody is deflating your tires. After measuring air pressure with multiple uncalibrated gauges, that was the conclusion reached by the NFL.