Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2019, 01:07 PM   #1

TT for full time living or negatives of trailer brands

Hello all! This is my first post, so I appreciate all of the help and input. I am getting married soon and my fiances education is going to require us to move around often, so we are looking at living in a trailer full time. What brands do you have experience with and what brands should be avoided? (personal experiences preferable). Any tips or input appreciated, thank you.
nwoodco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2019, 02:07 PM   #2

Well, my rig is in my signature. I got it for about $20,000 when it was all said and done. Certainly not expensive, but it's treated me well since I got it back in late 2017. 2 trouble free years, with the exception of things I broke. But those things were my fault. I can't hold them against Forest River.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:14 PM   #3

If you're living in it full-time you might want to consider a 5th wheel. They will have a LOT more storage space and are more comfortable to pull on the highway. They will typically also have better insulation, bigger holding tanks and a covered 'belly'.

Good luck in your future!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:08 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. Hit multiple dealers and see what is available, what has any kind of quality finishes and what floor plans will work. Then start looking at those rigs both new and used.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:19 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Full time...what areas of the country and what seasons. There are very few trailers rated as 4 season trailers. Some manufacturers will stick on a sticker claiming to have an Arctic Pak or a Polar Pak. This does not make it a 4 season trailer.

A true full time and 4 season rated trailer will be two things....expensive and heavy.

You will be better off looking at used 5 year old or more trailers such as HitchHiker, Excel, Carriage Cameo, Teton, King of the Road and DRV Mobile Suites.

The less expensive trailers on the market are 3 season trailers meant for weekend or vacation use.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:24 PM   #6

As a full-timer I would suggest that when you find a few trailers that you're interested in talk to the manufacturer, not the dealer that's trying to sell it to you, you will seldom get the truth out of them, and find out if they recommend their trailer to be lived in full time, I think you'll find most of them will say no.

Now that doesn't mean that you can't live in it full time, many many people do, but in my personal experience I have found that there's less problems in a trailer that's designed and built to be lived in for extended periods of time and not designed and built just for vacations.

theboondork.com
theboondork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:28 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you will be where it freezes, you will want an enclosed and heated underbelly. For full-time, I'd stay away from anything with Lite in the name. Lite means lightweight construction materials that do not hold up as well.
DurangoNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:39 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwoodco1 View Post
Hello all! This is my first post, so I appreciate all of the help and input. I am getting married soon and my fiances education is going to require us to move around often, so we are looking at living in a trailer full time. What brands do you have experience with and what brands should be avoided? (personal experiences preferable). Any tips or input appreciated, thank you.
What are you going to be towing with?

Are you planning on staying in friends/family driveways or boondocking or finding extended stay parks?

Do you realize this may not be cheaper than other more traditional options?

Good luck.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:51 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I would suggest that you go to a large RV show or large RV dealer and spend a lot of time looking at everything. Don't let the salespeople pressure you into a quick decision!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:03 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
when i was looking at going full time i was looking for a tt but everyone i spoke to said not to do it in a tt but a 5th wheel or class a. a used class a is what i went with can not be happier.

that all being said we have found plenty of people full timing in tt so look at all your options in your budget.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:22 AM   #11

We have a LANCE. Not full time yet.
4 season rated, heated tanks. Not as heavy as Artic Fox.
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:53 AM   #12

Hello everyone, sorry for being absent. I actually got engaged so I was busy with all of that. First I have a tow vehicle that can tow 8,000 pounds with a tongue weight of 8000 pounds. We will either be in north texas or florida, so winter weather won't be harsh. I am not thinking I will save much money, but we will be moving around every 8 weeks for a while, so we need the flexibility.
nwoodco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:47 PM   #13

nwoodco1, congratulations on the engagement... Good luck with all the planning...

I think folks asked what your tow vehicle was, you may want to post that.. it helps in some aspects of towing. Believe me, there is a wide range.... we have a 3/4 ton GMC and we know our limitations with that...
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:05 PM   #14

Retired Navy Senior Chief

Your budget will guide you. However with the experience I've had camping
in a tent, class B, class C, Class A, Fifth Wheel and now a Travel trailer, if my
budget would allow me a good truck to pull a fifth wheel, that would be my
choice. Fifth wheels have more space, much easier to hook up to your pull
vehicle, are easier to pull and set up.

BUT, if money does not allow, then a travel trailer is cheaper, can be pulled
with a variety of vehicles (weight is always to be considered). How much
your vehicle can pull determines the size of the TT you can buy. You will
have to use a weight distribution hitch and sway control bar with the TT.
I do that with a 21 foot TT and believe me I wish I could have kept my
5th wheel. I just couldn't rationalize the cost of another vehicle to be parked
while I was not using it.
roberthouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, trailer