Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2015, 04:50 PM   #1

TT trade-in value. Is NADA is good reference?

I have had my 2013 Jayco 25RKS on Craigslist for about two weeks with no bites or interest. We want a 5th wheel but wanted to sell our TT first. If push comes to shove, we may trade it in. I'm a little concerned as to what the dealer will give me. According to NADA low is $18,450 and high is $22,340. I'm asking $19000. Of course, the dealer will kick me in the and try to low ball me on my trade and not budge on the purchase. I have played this game many times before. I'm just wondering is $19000 to much to expect? Is NADA a good reference for pricing. I also checked RVTrader and PPL which makes my figures appropriate.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2015, 07:02 PM   #2

Two weeks is not that long in my opinion for craigslist. Your looking for a needle in a haystack basically. I can't tell you if your trailer is worth that, but it sounds like you are on the right track looking at what others are selling for and basing it off that. The only problem with that tactic is that is just what they are asking and you can't confirm that is what they are selling for. Keep that in mind when pricing your trailer. You can sort through similar trailers and see when they posted their listing. If it has been listed for a long time, they maybe their price is too high. You also will have to be patient as you are competing with dealers as well on craigslist, and every other site too. Dealers in my area, and I suspect all areas, will just keep posting over and over and over to keep their stuff at the top and multiple listings within craigslist which is hard for people to do on their own. You should see what the dealer will actually give you for it as a trade-in, then worst case list it on craigslist for that price. Better to have cash in hand from a normal person than to give it to the dealer to mark up and make more money off of your loss. It will probably sell quickly that way too, but just as a last resort.

I just sold my boat on craigslist and had to lower my price to my bottom dollar to get it sold. I just kept going lower and lower until I made the decision I wasn't going to get any equity out of it. Then a guy in Utah came to buy it here in Arizona. I ended up getting another $2k for all of my stuff that I was going to sell on craigslist from him, but I would have had to sell them individually and deal with it for a long time. Instead, I lowered my price without the stuff, got a buyer with the lower price, and sold all that stuff to him, getting what I wanted anyway. He was happy, and so was I as we both got a good price that way.

Keep at it, 2 weeks is not that long. Also, depending on where you are located, it could be things like weather, time of year, anything in a buyers life that makes them not able to buy right now. You just need that one person.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:12 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm suspicious of NADA for RV pricing because the number of units is much more limited than autos or trucks. With all the various levels of equipment, options, and floor plans I just don't think it can be accurate. Dealer listings are what they're asking for it, often the actual selling price is lower. Again, not a great resource for accurate pricing. Make sure everything looks good and works, then put your price out there. If no one bites, lower the price a bit and wait again. Sooner or later you'll get a buyer.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:45 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I don't trust NADA pricing for anything
Old 10-19-2015, 05:55 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The online NADA RV Guide doesn't reflect the market - it's just an estimated depreciation. And the figures are retail, not what the dealer will give for a trade. Buy the subscription version if you want real data. That version will also have wholesale & trade values.

If you have already negotiated a price with the dealer, his trade offer is going to shock you because it doesn't have an extra thrown to reflect the discount on the new one. You already got that discount! Wholesale value for an RV is typically around 60% of the average retail. Somewhere around $11k-$12k for your trailer, would be my guess. [But for your sake I hope I'm wrong!]
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:31 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your pricing sounds like you have done the research to substantiate a starting value. Nada, other seller, PPL sold list, etc.

Two weeks is not a long time to make a judgement.
Where are you time-wise with the RV season in your area?
Ensure your ad is effectively presenting the RV.
Renew you CL ad on Fridays so it's position is refreshed.
Reduce price if it continues to get little or no activity after a few weeks.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:32 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Depending on the state, keep in mind that you will save money on sales tax when trading so whatever the dealer gives you, you effectively get a boost of the tax rate. for example if your buying a coach for 300,000.00 and your trade is worth 100,000.00 and the tax rate is 8% your actually getting 107,000.00 for your trade. Without your trade in you will pay tax on the full selling price.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:38 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dealers nada is different than what is available to the public. If I book out a trade using the online dealer version, they give me retail and wholesale. Dealers typically work from 80% of wholesale with no adds or deducts for options or mileage unless the mileage is waaay out of line. Just like harleys with tons of chrome and custom pipes, nobody gives a rip when it comes to trade in. There are a couple products that you can throw the book away on. All Coachmen products are way over valued in nada and fleetwood discoveries are typically worth more than nada. Just an example of two that come to mind.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:32 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
NADA might be a starting point, but as others have stated, it sometimes can be WAY off from the real world.

I would do a Google search for your RV and see what others are asking. RVTrader.com would be a good place to start.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
I have had my 2013 Jayco 25RKS on Craigslist for about two weeks with no bites or interest. We want a 5th wheel but wanted to sell our TT first. If push comes to shove, we may trade it in. I'm a little concerned as to what the dealer will give me. According to NADA low is $18,450 and high is $22,340. I'm asking $19000. Of course, the dealer will kick me in the and try to low ball me on my trade and not budge on the purchase. I have played this game many times before. I'm just wondering is $19000 to much to expect? Is NADA a good reference for pricing. I also checked RVTrader and PPL which makes my figures appropriate.
I'm sure the $18,4 is dealer retail and if so you are way way off base. Selling it privately should bring about 15k. People shop privately for deals, pay cash and generally go out of their way to see your rig. I think you need to take these thins into consideration or let the dealer have his way with you.

Tags
ada